Anti Littering Campaign

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Equinix
Expatriate

Anti Littering Campaign

Post by Equinix »

Hi everyone,

I'm sure everyone here is annoyed by the littering in Cambodia and most have been thinking of ways on how to get the local population to stop throwing their waste on the streets.
Been contemplating a bit on this the past week and I want to create some sort of cartoon that shows that littering causes flooded streets.
Will need to be simple, but make people connect the dots and hopefully reduce the amount of littering on the streets.

Which organizations have done large anti litter campaings (maybe they got graphics already and would save some time) ?

My idea is something like this

Top Banner
LOVE YOUR COUNTRY? KEEP IT CLEAN!

First graphic
A person throwing his plastic bag (with styrofoam container) on the street.

Second graphic
Street Drain clogged with litter whilst it's raining

Third Graphic
The same person as in the first graphic standing knee deep in water and thinking about the lunch bag he threw on the street earlier.

Fourth Graphic
Same person standing on a clean street with a text bubble saying "it's better without the litter on the streets" and he tells other people to keep the streets clean.

This can be printed out and put on the entrance of local shops and on street food vendors.
Maybe it can also be printed on a namecard size card which will be easy to hand out.

Let me know what you think of this and if you have better ideas please share them =)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anti Littering Campaign

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Any initiative that can help has got to be positive imho :thumb:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Already being done. You'll find the pile of rubbish underneath the signs, it's like a magnet for trash.

Start with the kids at school. They will teach the parents.
It needs to be in the curriculum but will take 10+ years.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I saw a local dude as i was walking along street 105 the other day who managed to catch a plastic bag with his foot as it gently breezed past him. As he leaned down to grab the plastic bag off his foot with his hand i thought to myself, "Holy shit, this guy is actually going to put some trash in the bin," and then he just threw the bag in the shitty, toxic canal behind him to help block it up and flood his home next year :facepalm:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

In Phnom Penh I saw signs saying something like, "A cleaner Cambodia starts with you". I like that slogan.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I think there should be unreasonably high fines for littering. People don't understand that it costs money when they litter. Someone has to be paid to pick it up, and money has to spent to clean and dredge the waterways, this in turn raises taxes. If we fine them steeply, then taxes won't have to be raised to pay for cleanup projects.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Alex wrote:In Phnom Penh I saw signs saying something like, "A cleaner Cambodia starts with you". I like that slogan.
Could put that on the bottom of the page.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

techietraveller84 wrote:I think there should be unreasonably high fines for littering. People don't understand that it costs money when they litter. Someone has to be paid to pick it up, and money has to spent to clean and dredge the waterways, this in turn raises taxes. If we fine them steeply, then taxes won't have to be raised to pay for cleanup projects.
Unfortunately allot of littering is happening in the evening when the police isn't very active.

Does anyone have any idea with the official fine is for littering (can print out a few signs warning people about the fine)

mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Equinix wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:18 pm
techietraveller84 wrote:I think there should be unreasonably high fines for littering. People don't understand that it costs money when they litter. Someone has to be paid to pick it up, and money has to spent to clean and dredge the waterways, this in turn raises taxes. If we fine them steeply, then taxes won't have to be raised to pay for cleanup projects.
Unfortunately allot of littering is happening in the evening when the police isn't very active.

Does anyone have any idea with the official fine is for littering (can print out a few signs warning people about the fine)

I would be surprised if there is any official fine in place for littering or fly tipping. It's endemic.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

techietraveller84 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm I think there should be unreasonably high fines for littering. People don't understand that it costs money when they litter. Someone has to be paid to pick it up, and money has to spent to clean and dredge the waterways, this in turn raises taxes. If we fine them steeply, then taxes won't have to be raised to pay for cleanup projects.
'We' run this show now?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic