Anti Littering Campaign

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anti Littering Campaign

Post by Soriya »

On russian boulevard by dominos pizza, people where dumping trash on the street, next door to the pizza place. After they repathed the pathways a while back, a sign was put up and if caught it was 100,000 riel. It worked, they stopped, the trash now gets dumped round the corner on the floor.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If you were to ask the average Cambodian on the street to rank their worries and concerns in life, where do you reckon litter would come?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:27 pm
techietraveller84 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm I think there should be unreasonably high fines for littering. People don't understand that it costs money when they litter. Someone has to be paid to pick it up, and money has to spent to clean and dredge the waterways, this in turn raises taxes. If we fine them steeply, then taxes won't have to be raised to pay for cleanup projects.
'We' run this show now?
its a Cambodians right to fuck up their country if they so choose<
who are "we" to dictate to them?

education starts at home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Bluenose wrote:If you were to ask the average Cambodian on the street to rank their worries and concerns in life, where do you reckon litter would come?
Ask them if they like the flooding during the rainy season Image

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Equinix wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:37 pm
Bluenose wrote:If you were to ask the average Cambodian on the street to rank their worries and concerns in life, where do you reckon litter would come?
Ask them if they like the flooding during the rainy season Image

Just did a quick lunchtime straw poll in the office - while they don't like it, it's not a major worry, just something that happens anyway as far as they are concerned.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cambodia has been taking part in World Cleanup Day for several years now.
https://www.worldcleanupday.org/country/cambodia

https://m.facebook.com/cambodiacleanup

World Cleanup Day 2022 in Cambodia

From the Phnom Penh Post, Publication date 18 September 2022
More than 600 volunteers from state institutions, the private sector and civil society organisations (CSOs), predominantly young people, gathered to celebrate World Cleanup Day on September 17 to draw public attention to the major waste problem that is affecting the planet.

World Cleanup Day has been celebrated in Cambodia every year since 2018. The day was established by the Let’s Do It World NGO from Estonia, and 180 countries now participate each year.

The NGO River Ocean Cleanup announced on September 17 that to celebrate this year’s day, the volunteers would clear up riverfront area on the Chroy Changvar peninsula near Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel. A German-designed garbage collection boat would clean up the river.

On September 17, the Ministry of Tourism also organised a campaign themed “Clean Cambodia, Green Cambodia: Celebrate World Cleanup Day”, which was attended by environment ministry officials and about 300 stakeholders.

Ken Serey Ratha, director-general of the environment ministry’s General Directorate of Environmental Knowledge and Information who participated in the campaign, said socio-economic growth in all areas had made people’s lives more prosperous and demanded a more civilised, beautiful, clean and green environment.

He said his general directorate has been organising a programme to “change the mindset of some Cambodian people so that they understand and participate in the implementation of environmental friendliness”.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... leanup-day
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Equinix wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:16 pm
Alex wrote:In Phnom Penh I saw signs saying something like, "A cleaner Cambodia starts with you". I like that slogan.
Could put that on the bottom of the page.

Why put it at the bottom?
I'd put it at the top to catch their attention.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:25 pm Back when I was a kid some 50 years or more ago Australia did an Adverising Campagne on TV says someone's watching you various advertisements showing someone throwing trash on a vacant block someone throwing trash out the car window and someone seeing them do it and then they being embarrassed
"Drop something, sport?"
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Username Taken wrote:
Alex wrote:In Phnom Penh I saw signs saying something like, "A cleaner Cambodia starts with you". I like that slogan.

Could do but wouldn't the following order make more sense.

4 cartoons explaining that littering makes the flooding worse. With the last cartoon showing happy people with a clean street (They'll hopefully understand the cartoon and connect to dots)

And after say

*a cleaner Cambodia starts with you*

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Equinix wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:56 pm
Username Taken wrote:

Could do but wouldn't the following order make more sense.

4 cartoons explaining that littering makes the flooding worse. With the last cartoon showing happy people with a clean street (They'll hopefully understand the cartoon and connect to dots)

And after say

*a cleaner Cambodia starts with you*

What would make sense is for you to get in touch with those who are already working on a cleaner Cambodia. Share your ideas with them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic