Modern vs classic cars

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Modern vs classic cars

Post by mannanman »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm That is the AC that became the Cobra.
Yes, I know what the AC became.
Richard said it’s a 62 Cobra but to me it’s looks like an early AC Ace.

(My uncle had a 91/92 model but it was a “fake”, even bough it was a legitimate Cobra from Shelby)
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

got it from here
https://www.a777aa77.ru/1962-shelby-ac- ... x-2000.php
1962 Shelby AC Cobra 260 Prototype

another one
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:50 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am This proliferation of SUV's is absolutely ridiculous. Most of them are used to bring the kids to school and go to the pub. Meanwhile, cities across the world are choking on traffic.
I'm thinking the reason people took to SUV's like ducks to water was mainly so that they could sit up high and look over sedans. Only problem now is.. nearly every man and his dog has one and it doesn't work anymore :lol:
Back in the late 80s and very early 90s Mercedes sedans were what people aspired for. When the UN came along SUVs got really popular. Before that there were Jeeps, Land Rovers and Russian UAZs, but the Landcruiser series 80 was both good off road and comfortable. So popular that when the UN were leaving most of their fleet was stolen.
Anyway, while I agree that it's painful navigating city traffic in anything big, I can see advantages. While road conditions in general are vastly improved since 3 decades back, it's still not unusual to encounter adverse conditions. Mao Tse Tung can still get pretty deep in a rainstorm and if you're outside the city or around new developments you are likely to find some rough, potholed, churned-up surfaces that will need 4WD.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I had a old Ford Fairlane, in it's day was one of the biggest on the road 20y later one of the smallest in the carpark, but still had more seating room than nearly all the new cars
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 pm
new cars are just no fun...

Yeah, I miss all that fun of cars not starting or breaking down and waiting 3 hours for an AA guy in the freezing cold on the side of the A12 in February.

Plus all those tyres locking up under heavy braking, terrible handling, drum brakes, no air bags, rusty as fuck and you stereo getting nicked.

Ahh, those were the days...
All my early cars are in the period 1985~1994. They can all be maintained DIY, and even the rudimentary diagnostics can be run off simple home made test kit.
All are reliable as you want. I have a newer Mercedes’ which is totally dependent on complex diagnostic tools due to the various sensors and systems.
I’d rather have my older cars.

Even the biggest of those, which is 16’ long seems dwarfed by bloated versions of what used to be small cars.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:38 pm

Yeah, I miss all that fun of cars not starting or breaking down and waiting 3 hours for an AA guy in the freezing cold on the side of the A12 in February.

Plus all those tyres locking up under heavy braking, terrible handling, drum brakes, no air bags, rusty as fuck and you stereo getting nicked.

All my early cars are in the period 1985~1994. They can all be maintained DIY, and even the rudimentary diagnostics can be run off simple home made test kit.
All are reliable as you want. I have a newer Mercedes’ which is totally dependent on complex diagnostic tools due to the various sensors and systems.

Even the biggest of those, which is 16’ long seems dwarfed by bloated versions of what used to be small cars.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/estimates/ ... eplacement

BMW 428i headlight BULB!! Replacement costs.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:38 pm

Bugger that!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My first car was a cortina estate 1.6Ghia Automatic. Reg no. VOA 63S (10 yrs old at time of purchase, from my dad)
I remember having a starter motor problem where the armature would “stick” and the temporary solution till my dad could replace it was …”a sharp tap with a hammer just there, lad”
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Luxury.

My first car (not counting the abortive attempt of getting a Nissan estate £20 auction non runner working, was a Hillman Avenger 1.5 DL. ADF250K. 3 speed manual. 1st, 3rd and 4th. Selecting 2nd was an interesting process of incurring nasty noises and having the gear shift smack back hard, risking broken bones.

What I learned to drive on was a 101victor (which was later painted up in honour of her Majesty’s silver jubilee), column shift, and the venerable Commer ambulance, with a straight 6 rolls Royce (I think). I just had to wait another few years to do it legally.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:52 pm

To be fair it’s not just just a bulb it’s the whole composite light unit and xenon units, but still.

The towing eye cover was missing after I picked up my brand new Mercedes. $120 plus $40 painting. For a 4” square piece of plastic!
Servicing was around $500/$800 per pop.

I had an old 190D and ran it on vegetable oil for years. Smelt great.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic