Modern vs classic cars

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Modern vs classic cars

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 pm
new cars are just no fun...

Yeah, I miss all that fun of cars not starting or breaking down and waiting 3 hours for an AA guy in the freezing cold on the side of the A12 in February.

Plus all those tyres locking up under heavy braking, terrible handling, drum brakes, no air bags, rusty as fuck and you stereo getting nicked.

Ahh, those were the days...
Missing the 'choke' there.......
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

My FIAT Panda 4x4 (2000) beats all them SUV. Come here and I will prove. For a fraction of the price of a SUV you get triple the fun out in the woods.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hanno wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am This proliferation of SUV's is absolutely ridiculous. Most of them are used to bring the kids to school and go to the pub. Meanwhile, cities across the world are choking on traffic.
I'm thinking the reason people took to SUV's like ducks to water was mainly so that they could sit up high and look over sedans. Only problem now is.. nearly every man and his dog has one and it doesn't work anymore :lol:

Bit of trivia..I recall when sales of SUVs started taking off in Aus an ex PM Paul Keating made the remark 'SUVs are a pox on roads and if I was still in government I would tax them off our roads' or such like. Missed revenue raiser for sure.

And SUVs are not as aerodynamic as a sedan, hence not as fuel efficient, hence less practical for the environment..
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:13 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 pm
new cars are just no fun...

Yeah, I miss all that fun of cars not starting or breaking down and waiting 3 hours for an AA guy in the freezing cold on the side of the A12 in February.

Plus all those tyres locking up under heavy braking, terrible handling, drum brakes, no air bags, rusty as fuck and you stereo getting nicked.

Ahh, those were the days...
You must be referring to English cars.

Missing the 'choke' there.......
Boredom is like a shroud
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:45 pm Just to mention a few I'd take any day over any 2022 car

or this 62 cobra

Are you sure that’s a Cobra? Looks like an Ace.

(The Mk1 and Mk2 Cobra’s we’re built in the UK by the way!)
People of the world, spice up your life.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

truffledog wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:22 pm My FIAT Panda 4x4 (2000) beats all them SUV. Come here and I will prove. For a fraction of the price of a SUV you get triple the fun out in the woods.
In the woods dogging?

There’s a Panda 4X4 that takes people up to see the volcano. Can’t remember where, maybe S America.
People of the world, spice up your life.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

That is the AC that became the Cobra. The only good things in new cars are Apple Car Play and reversing cameras. I have had a brand new MG SUV lately which had a seven year guarantee. Mitsubishi now ten years.
My Mazda is seventeen years old, no traction control, no power top and manual.
Kids here can’t drive manuals so it will never be stolen. My friends Mercedes SUV got stolen. Five months to fix and $8000 to replace the keys.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I prefer pre 2000 vehicles from a drivers perspective, typically lighter and therefore better handling than most new cars

Sure - crash safety isn't as good but that's the last thing on my mind when considering a driving experience

2022 and other new cars are too heavy, suffer from a lack of driver feedback, and are overly reliant on electronics which cause frequent and expensive failures
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

mannanman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:06 pm
truffledog wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:22 pm My FIAT Panda 4x4 (2000) beats all them SUV. Come here and I will prove. For a fraction of the price of a SUV you get triple the fun out in the woods.
In the woods dogging?

There’s a Panda 4X4 that takes people up to see the volcano. Can’t remember where, maybe S America.
truffle hunting takes you deep in the forest...where the streets have no name.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cabron wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:56 pm
You must be referring to English cars.

Guess you're too young... I clearly remember my father playing around around with it to get the Renault 4 engine running....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic