Enter the country with Cambodian Infant without Cambodian Passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Martnart
Tourist
Germany

Enter the country with Cambodian Infant without Cambodian Passport

Post by Martnart »

Hi!

This is my first post. I've googled quite a bit but can't find any specific answer for our case.

I am German and married to a Cambodian. We have a child together (20 months old). He was born in Cambodia, so he has a Cambodian birth certificate and is, in fact, a Cambodian citizen.

We've requested a German passport for him and want to travel to Germany to visit my family for Christmas. The way out we got covered mostly, but just now I realized that the way back in might be a bit difficult. I have a multiple entry VISA, my wife has a Cambodian passport. Our kid, however, will only have a German passport. How would this work at the border? We'd need some kind of proof that he is Cambodian so he doesn't have to get a VISA, right? Would it be enough to bring his birth certificate or do we need to also get a Cambodian passport for him? (is it even legal to have 2 passports at the same time?)

Cheers!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Enter the country with Cambodian Infant without Cambodian Passport

Post by John Bingham »

You'll have to get him an exit visa at the Department of Immigration across from the airport. Then he can get a K visa re-entering Cambodia.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

You'll need to get an exit visa from the immigration department before leaving. It should be valid for one week (I think). I made a similar journey with my spouse and child and got a k visa on arrival at the airport without issue.

You can travel with 2 passports if you want but it's easier to just get a k visa in your son's German passport.
Scarier than malaria.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Martnart wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:29 pm Hi!

This is my first post. I've googled quite a bit but can't find any specific answer for our case.

I am German and married to a Cambodian. We have a child together (20 months old). He was born in Cambodia, so he has a Cambodian birth certificate and is, in fact, a Cambodian citizen.

We've requested a German passport for him and want to travel to Germany to visit my family for Christmas. The way out we got covered mostly, but just now I realized that the way back in might be a bit difficult. I have a multiple entry VISA, my wife has a Cambodian passport. Our kid, however, will only have a German passport. How would this work at the border? We'd need some kind of proof that he is Cambodian so he doesn't have to get a VISA, right? Would it be enough to bring his birth certificate or do we need to also get a Cambodian passport for him? (is it even legal to have 2 passports at the same time?)

Cheers!
The way out will be difficult, your kid can not leave because there's no entry stamp in the German passport.

You indeed have to apply for an exit visa at the department of immigration opposite the airport. It's a one time visa allowing your kid to leave one. When you come back you can show the birth certificate at the visa counter @ Pochentong and your kid will obtain a 'K-visa' which will allow your kid tome come and go as he / she pleases for the validity of the German passport.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Your best option is to get the kid his Cambodian passport, Cambodia allows its Citizwna to hold multiple Citizenships/passports.

To get the kids passport, go to the passport office with originals and copies of the following documents, fill in the application form, pay the fee and follow the directions.

- Birth Certificate
- Family Book and/or Carnet de Residence (or certificate of residence if don't have either of the above)
- Parents ID (National ID Card for Cambodian parent, passport for foreign parent)
- Old passport (if applicable)
- Marriage Certificate if married (although not an official requirement, it is often demanded if one of the parents is a foreigner, however, there is NO requirement to be married to apply for a child's passport)

Cost of child's passport, 5 year validity if under 6:

$80 20 day processing
$120 10 day processing
$160 24 hour processing

If aged 6+, 10 year passport, fees are:

$100 20 day processing
$150 10 day processing
$200 24 hour processing

Note that many people have reported facing issues at the AEON 2 passport office, I advise people to use the main passport office at Chbar Ampouv.

Then:
- Exit/Enter Cambodia on Cambodian Passport
- Enter/Exit other countries (where a Visa for Cambodian passport holders would normally be required) on German passport

That's it. No need to fuck around with Exit Visas, K-type Visas, and he'll even get his $7 Airport tax refunded.

If you want to fuck around with just using the German passport then as mentioned above, you need to purchase an Exit Visa for him, this needs to be applied for at the DoI Visa Office in Pochentong, costs $30, and is valid for 7 days only. See attached list of required supporting documentation. (If you are lucky, they may still be issuing K-type Visas in country for those who are eligible.)

Then upon return, get the K-type (Special) Visa, which is for Cambodians/people of Cambodian descent travelling on a foreign passport, this visa is free and valid for the lifetime of the passport. Official Cambodian Birth Certificate is sufficient evidence of eligibility, often they don't even ask for proof if the kid looks slightly Cambodian, especially if travelling with Cambodian parent.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That looks like a lot of hassle. I think I only ever showed the first 5 on that list.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:58 pm That looks like a lot of hassle. I think I only ever showed the first 5 on that list.
Yea that's the list that they have had posted at the Visa Office for the past 3-4 years, how strict they are on all the documents depends on the Immigration Officer manning the desk, some are anal as fuck.

So much easier to just get the kid their Cambodian passport, as is their birthright.
Martnart
Tourist
Germany

Post by Martnart »

Thanks so much everyone for the quick and very helpful comments. Since we'll be going for about 1,5 months it looks like an exit VISA would not be viable? I think getting his Cambodian passport sounds best - assuming it's no problem for any person to hold two different passports at the same time.

Edit: Ah I seem to have misunderstood the point of the Exit VISA. It's valid for 7 days for Exiting the country, not including the return, right?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doesn't matter how long you are going for, the Exit Visa is valid for 7 days to use to leave the country, but getting him his Cambodian passport is still the best option. It is perfectly legal for Cambodian & German Citizens to have dual Citizenship therefore passports from both countries.

Martnart wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:07 pm Edit: Ah I seem to have misunderstood the point of the Exit VISA. It's valid for 7 days for Exiting the country, not including the return, right?
Yes, that is correct.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:40 pm

That's it. No need to fuck around with Exit Visas, K-type Visas, and he'll even get his $7 Airport tax refunded.
If I recall well my kid only received 3$ back last time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic