Why Elites Like Greta Thunberg Hate Capitalism

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Why Elites Like Greta Thunberg Hate Capitalism

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cambodia is far from capitalism. In pure capitalism, everyone has an equal say through purchasing power and marketplace competition.

The Kingdom of Wonder is more like the imperial system of Rome. The emperor and the leading families rule the country, with an endless supply of slaves to throw their problems at. Cronyism at it’s best.

Foreigners just don’t have the heavy government regulation that are in other countries so it might seem more free.

Just my opinion.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

You might have a problem if you listen to and take seriously anything this little psycho dwarf mouthpiece has to say.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:22 pm
mannanman wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:18 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:13 pm There is no ownership on free/public goods like air and water (and many other). If the cost of polluting would be priced into goods and services the world would look much different.
So who pays for the infrastructure to deliver, maintain and clean the water to your homes? Not everyone lives next to a lake.

If people just drank water “wild” then the hospitals would be full. Who pays for the hospital and the carers?
Where I'm from we have a local water co-op made up of all the houses on our water main which all houses paid to install and pay annually to maintain
We’ll that’s just a smaller version of most water companies operations, the difference being its small and manageable. I’m guessing it’s under 100 households?

Co-ops work until the people running them realise there’s money to be made!
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

How dare you!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:02 pm I'd have to agree. Can't stand her. At least (initially) the child star actors and singers provided us some entertainment. Greta, not so much.
Greta Thunberg is just a pissed off kid. Personally I think it's healthy for young people to get out and protest, to question the status quo and rage against the machine. Teenagers should be questioning the world they inherit. (Didn't you ? )

You don't have to listen to her (or anyone else) if you don't want to, but Greta only has as much power as you want to give her. She owns nothing and controls nothing. :bigeyes: Put her on ignore if you feel offended.

I say, go you kids! :banana: Shake it up!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I would like to see a world where more young and less old peple decide about the future. At the moment there is a great imbalance towards the older generation who care more about their own isssues.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

She is annoying, can't argue with that.

I often feel that people like to take issue with her, rather than address her basic message though...

'We're shitting where we eat, have been for years, to the point where it's causing obvious problems and if we continue doing it the consequences will be dire.'

I have no idea what the solution is, I don't really think there is a practical solution, but doing what we have been doing (basically nothing) isn't an option either. I can't blame anyone for at least trying to get humanity to address the problem.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:57 pm
Free markets have lifted millions out of poverty, liberated women, and protected the environment. Why, then, are so many progressives against them?
That's all a lie. Capitalism has forced many to labor under menacingly oppressive conditions, enduring long hours and slave wages. Witness Cambodian sweatshops, and go all the way back to the glory days of jolly old England's textile mills, which stunted thousands of the young girls who were forced to work 12 and 16 hours a day until they died.

You neo-liberals believe that you see the wondrous world of capitalism as some sort of universal panacea for the world's ills... But reality shows a world much more contrary to your generally rosy presumption. For example, none of you can deny the fallout of West European capitalist colonization was and remains the total underdevelopment of the world outside N. America, Oceania and Europe. Your prejudice arises from being born in a "wealthy" Western nation. But you can't even see the gross inequality of life in America and the UK... For me personally, capitalism has done nothing: I am an author, and I see that the only writers who make money are those who sell-out by producing crass commercial dross that appeals to the lowest tastes -- murder mysteries, thrillers, and rubbishy romance fluff...

...Why not read "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa" by Walter Rodney, who was assassinated by the president of his birth country, Guyana, for telling the truth...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Europ ... ped_Africa

Capitalism has NOT protected the environment, it has destroyed it absolutely all around the world, from the enforced overuse of industrial pesticides and fertilizer to the rabid enforced consumerism brought on by the "necessity" of automotive transportation...

Read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carlson as a prime example of the corporate industrial disinformation that helped to poison, sicken and kill thousands if not millions... Modern science has been forced to deal with all the new diseases borne of chemical capitalism...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

I cannot believe how wilfully blind you choose to be. The world is going to burn... The forests of Siberia and northern Canada are going to burn in ten, twenty, thirty years -- because of the enforced use of fossil fuels by capitalism. Only concentrated monopolies of money-power can force you to do one thing instead of being allowed to use viable alternatives... The Colorado river will finally and very soon -- dry up. The U.S. will be forced to beg Canada to pipe water south from the far north... These environmental crises are immanent and certain realities that will soon overtake the real world!

But be blind, and smug. Believe that you know, when in fact, you know nothing. Why not go to a new Trump fake Christian rebirth rally? ...Get sucked into the muck of lies all over again. That dirty #otherfucker doesn't even believe in God, but he sure knows how to exploit religion in the name of power. Pretends to believe, because all America's rednecks "know" how God bequeathed their slavery from his glorious knavery on high, much like how God took Moses aside to deliver his marching orders, but never showed himself to anyone else... Special and secret is the wisdom of the faithful...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... dApp_Other

Indeed, the few great beneficiaries of Capitalism constitute a very exclusive club... The rest get laid-off from Twitter or Meta, or endure 10 or 12 hour shifts in an Amazon warehouse in which an unauthorized bathroom break can lead to peremptory dismissal. Such are the glorious wonders of Capitalism. Adam Smith was a vile snake...

So, please, why not refrain from sharing your odious and blind propaganda? You can remain smug, obsequious and righteous about your hard-working white man's privileges, but why not keep that lucky blessing a secret between yourself, your bar buddies and your local country girl minions-on-the-side?
Last edited by orichá on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Alex wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:25 pm She's hardly "elite", just a spoiled little princess who's trapped in a feedback loop with her followers. So she's progressively (lol) becoming more radical, dreaming up some lofty ideals of an utopia that will never materialize.

Many child actresses and singers who rose to fame at a young age couldn't handle it and went completely off the rails; this is basically just the same happening to another kind of child star.
You are a [Mod edit: no need for insults]. Greta speaks what she believes and understands to be what's wrong with the world. You, on the other hand are just another tired and tawdry cynic, who thinks he's possessed of some kind of better wisdom about how the world really works. It's exactly your kind of complacency that is DESTROYING the world. That is what Greta us trying to tell you. But you are [..Mod edit] to understand...

Goodbye. This forum is overloaded with backwards, brainless fucktards, as J. Bingham would say...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Wow. That escalated quickly.

%)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic