Tips to moving to PP with cats?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Junkateria
Tourist
United States of America

Tips to moving to PP with cats?

Post by Junkateria »

I’ll be moving with 3 cats in May. Is it difficult to find a landlord who will accept pets? Is cat food/litter sold in grocery stores or will I need to purchase from a pet supply store? Any advice to make sure they and their documents pass their health inspection? Also, has anyone flown with more than one pet pet crate? Qatar Airways says all 3 cats may travel in one medium dog crate. But, I’m afraid that I will arrive to fly and be told they can’t be together, with me having no backup plan. Thoughts? Please, dump any advice you may have on moving with pets right on top of me! No tip is too small. Thanks!
Friend maker of those who need aspirin, eggs and a massive Bloody Mary
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tips to moving to PP with cats?

Post by Doc67 »

I smell a rat...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I brought just one cat to Cambodia. It had to be fully vaccinated and microchipped but the rest was easy.

Cat food, litter, etc. is available at all the larger supermarkets but pet stores have more variety. IN SR at least I had no problem finding a house that would accept my total of 4 cats.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

If you are from Australia don’t do it as you probably won’t be able to bring them back into the country in the future.

I wouldn’t do it anyway. I once faced the same possibility. I left my cat with good people instead. No regrets. Cambodia isn’t a great place for cats imho (others have cats and will disagree)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:44 am I smell a rat...
As in.. :mrgreen:

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

You'd think Cambodia has enough cats already.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

violet wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:59 am If you are from Australia don’t do it as you probably won’t be able to bring them back into the country in the future.

I wouldn’t do it anyway. I once faced the same possibility. I left my cat with good people instead. No regrets. Cambodia isn’t a great place for cats imho (others have cats and will disagree)
They eat them all.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Junkateria wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:39 am I’ll be moving with 3 cats in May. Is it difficult to find a landlord who will accept pets? Is cat food/litter sold in grocery stores or will I need to purchase from a pet supply store? Any advice to make sure they and their documents pass their health inspection? Also, has anyone flown with more than one pet pet crate? Qatar Airways says all 3 cats may travel in one medium dog crate. But, I’m afraid that I will arrive to fly and be told they can’t be together, with me having no backup plan. Thoughts? Please, dump any advice you may have on moving with pets right on top of me! No tip is too small. Thanks!
Don't abuse your cats by bringing them to Phnom Penh. They will hardly be able to go outside and if they do they won't last long with local traffic and local (stray) cats and dogs.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

violet wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:59 am If you are from Australia don’t do it as you probably won’t be able to bring them back into the country in the future.
I've known a few people who couldn't take their pets back home (from Asia to whichever western country) with them. One person I heard about had to abandon their dog at the airport after getting bad advice, thinking they were ok and finding out the hard way when it was too late to do anything about it.

It must have been awful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic