Questions linger about receiving retirement visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Junkateria
Tourist
United States of America

Questions linger about receiving retirement visa

Post by Junkateria »

Hello, all! I’m new here, so, please, be gentle 😀 I am selling off the mountains of STUFF I now own and plan to immigrate to PP in early May. I understand that I need the E visa and then must go (somewhere?) to get the R, by showing my Social Security documents and proof that I can support myself while in the country. Nowhere can I find information on how much money I must have in the bank to pass muster. Can anyone tell me? Also, must I maintain a high balance at all times? Am I supposed to have a criminal background check of some kind? Any help or advice you can give would be gratefully received. Thanks!
Friend maker of those who need aspirin, eggs and a massive Bloody Mary
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Questions linger about receiving retirement visa

Post by pissontheroof »

If you are past 55 , none of the above .. welcome
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OP- if you haven't seen them already scroll below, there are a couple of recent topics under 'Similar topics' on the subject.

Summarised well in this post here: post567480.html#p567480

Edit: I'm not sure if there's a stated amount of how much income you need per month via pension/social security/money in the bank to qualify for a Retiree extension of stay if under 55 (I suspect it's discretionary). Hopefully some members here may know? Over 55 you don't need.

I've never heard of a police check requirement for that..
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Another one moving to PP in May (also the cat lover). Waiting patiently for the good weather to stop so they can enjoy the humid haze of May/June.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:35 am Edit: I'm not sure if there's a stated amount of how much income you need per month via pension/social security/money in the bank to qualify for a Retiree extension of stay if under 55 (I suspect it's discretionary).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

For about the 10th time this month...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month, no passport pic required, no supporting documents required (for the majority of Nationalities).

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

For the ER (Retirement) EOS:
- If aged 55+ and applying via a Visa agency, no additional supporting documentation is required
- If aged under 55 and applying via a Visa Agency, proof of retirement and sufficient funds are required
- If applying directly via the DoI, the supporting documentation requirements are extensive and strict

* There is no published figure indicating what constitutes sufficient funds, however many reports from people showing monthly income of $500 USD p/mth, or $6k in a bank account, as been sufficient.
**No requirement to maintain minimum funds in a bank account.
***There are no Criminal Record Check requirements.

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
TopOnlineOnline
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic