Cambodian Demining Experts, CMAC, to Help Train Ukrainians

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Demining Experts, CMAC, to Help Train Ukrainians

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The first group of Cambodian deminers to leave for Ukraine in early December
Appeared 31 minutes ago
On Wednesday, November 2, 2022
By sopheak khoun
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: The first group of Cambodian demining technicians can travel to Ukraine in early December 2022 to help provide training to Ukrainian deminers, according to a senior official of the Cambodian Mine Action Center.

Heng Ratana, Director General of the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC), wrote on his Facebook page on the afternoon of November 2, that after receiving the instructions from Samdech Techo HE, Prime Minister of Cambodia, the CMAC has been working closely with Japanese friends to send a combined team of demining technicians to help provide training to Ukrainian deminers.

"Following this principle, the CMAC unit and the Japanese side have been holding discussions very often," he said. "If all goes as planned, the first group can leave in early December 2022, and the second group can complete this mission in the first quarter of 2023."

Heng Ratana, Director General of the Cambodian Mine Action Center, said that CMAC was proud of the mission, which will contribute to helping the people of Ukraine free themselves from the deaths and injuries caused by landmines and UXOs.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Demining Experts, CMAC, to Help Train Ukrainians

It's official.
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on November 2, 2022, after the meeting of Cambodian and Ukrainian PMs via a conference call, Cambodia has agreed to help Ukraine in removing UXOs.
ImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ukrainians trying to clear land mines turn to Cambodia for help
Fifteen Ukrainians are being trained by experts in Cambodia whose experience removing mines left over from decades of war has made them among the world’s best.
Jan. 17, 2023, 6:55 AM CET / Source: Associated Press

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — Fifteen Ukrainian deminers are being trained by experts in Cambodia who are among the world’s best because of experience from clearing the leftovers of nearly three decades of war.

The Ukrainian deminers are being hosted by the Cambodian Mine Action Center, a government agency that oversees the clearing of land mines and unexploded ordnance in Cambodia. The weeklong program began Monday and is supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency.

Heng Ratana, the demining center’s director general, said the Ukrainians will be trained by Cambodian experts at the Mine Action Technical Institute in the central province of Kampong Chhnang, visit demining sites in northwestern Battambang province and tour a museum dedicated to land mines and unexploded ordnance in Siem Reap province, home to the famous Angkor temples.

He said the training will focus on mine clearing using technology including a Japanese detection device called the Advanced Landmine Imaging System.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ukra ... -rcna66036

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia, Japan hold demining training for Ukrainian personnel
15-member team from Ukraine learns demining in Cambodia, one of heavily mined countries in world
Riyaz ul Khaliq | 20.01.2023
Cambodia and Japan held a joint six-day demining training for personnel from the war-hit Ukraine.
According to Japan’s Foreign Ministry, the demining training in Cambodia for the personnel of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine was held in cooperation with Cambodia until Friday.

Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) said the camp for 15 Ukrainian personnel was held at its Mine Action Technical Institute in Kampong Chhnang and the personnel visited demining sites in Battambang and Siem Reap provinces.
The training on demining and unexploded ordnance was supported by the Japan International Cooperation Agency.

Cambodia is one of the heavily mined countries in the world. The CMAC estimates that 2,000 square kilometers (772 square miles) of land is contaminated with a combination of explosive weapons dropped during US aerial bombardments of the country and mines laid in the late 1970s and 1980s, particularly in what is known as the K5 mine belt that borders Thailand and Laos.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/c ... el/2792667

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

24 January, 2023
Ukrainian sappers arrived in Japan after training in Cambodia

After training in Cambodia, sappers of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine arrived in Tokyo to continue their exercises.
Sergiy Korsunsky, Ambassador of Ukraine to Japan, announced this.

In Cambodia, Ukrainian sappers were mastering the Japanese mine detectors equipped with an Advanced Landmine Imaging System (ALIS) sensor.

“These days, a delegation of the State Emergency Service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine is in Japan.
After completing training in Cambodia, our guys arrived in Tokyo to continue their studies and have meetings with the leadership of the Japanese International Cooperation Agency and the Japanese Foreign Ministry,” the Ukrainian diplomat shared.
https://mil.in.ua/en/news/ukrainian-sap ... -cambodia/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ukraine desperate for help clearing mines, says defence minister
Exclusive: ‘Most heavily mined country on Earth’ critically short of sappers and equipment to clear frontlines
Sun 13 Aug 2023 14.28 BST

Ukraine is now the most heavily mined country on Earth and its army is suffering from a critical shortage of men and equipment able to clear the frontlines, the country’s defence minister has said, as soldiers spoke of heavy casualties in the engineering brigades.

In an urgent appeal to allies, Oleksii Reznikov told the Guardian his soldiers were unearthing five mines for every square metre in places, laid by Russian troops to try to thwart Ukraine’s counteroffensive.

He said the vast minefields could be traversed, but that it was critically important that allies “expand and expedite” the training already being provided by some nations, including Britain.

The number of sappers in the Ukrainian armed forces was nowhere near enough to get through the complex Russian defences on the vast 600-mile (1,000km) front, with mine clearing units targeted with heavy fire.

Defence ministry officials in Kyiv suggested there was an opportunity for countries such as Japan [or Cambodia] that do not want to provide lethal aid to offer support in the form of mine clearing equipment and training.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... e-minister

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia, Ukraine Continue Cooperation on Humanitarian Demining
AKP Phnom Penh, September 14, 2023 --
H.E. Heng Ratana, Director General of Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) held at CMAC’s Phnom Penh Headquarters on Wednesday a virtual meeting with visiting H.E. Mrs. Yuliia Svyrydenko, First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy of Ukraine.

This meeting was also attended in person by Ukrainian Ambassador to Cambodia H.E Oleksandr GAMAN, and his delegation.

According to CMAC, this meeting only focused on humanitarian demining issues, as there are millions of hectares farm land and residential areas affected by landmines and the remnants of war.

Thus, Cambodia’s experiences and lessons learnt in managing Mine Action can be shared in terms of technical know-how, efficiencies and effectiveness, the same source added.
- AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Good work, guys. You'll soon have those Ukrainian rice paddies free of mines and safe for buffaloes.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

I thought that's why they were trying to round up any male Ukrainians in Europe.

you 4... walk around in that field for an hour.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

grumpygit wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:45 pm I thought that's why they were trying to round up any male Ukrainians in Europe.

you 4... walk around in that field for an hour.
What have you been drinking? :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic