Kep as a holiday destination during water festival

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Kep as a holiday destination during water festival

Post by IraHayes »

Taking the kids to Kep during the water festival week.
Just looking for any recommendations, places to eat, stuff to do besides the beach while we’re there.
We’ll be there for 5 days/4 nights so 3 full days. If it was a bad call I’m sure they will do 2 beach days and 1 day at the hotel pool given they can spend all day in the pool we go to in PP.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Kep as a holiday destination during water festival

Post by Freightdog »

I’d be having dinner every night at our usual crab restaurant, fussy kids or not. But I’ve not been there since covid, so I’ve no idea how it is now.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Kep mountain (the hill in the national park) has a 6 or 7km walk around it with a track that's been fully paved. There's a cafe at the start and another about 1km along. Beautiful scenery. Could be quite an adventure depending on their age. A little steep in places.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

secret lake has some nice places to eat and some rent kayaks, visit a kampot pepper farm along the way

Figure it will be busy if its a holiday so book early, otherwise during the week its dead.
Rather than eat at one of the overpriced, mediocre crab market restaurants, buy ur fresh seafood at the market than drive towards the beach, past the crab statue, an pick a place along the shore in one of the pagodas there, not as crowded/nosy and peaceful>

figure the street around the mtn will be full of kids on motorcycles, I have no idea why thye paved it!! pity as places do have some good views

further, head to one of the places in Kampot on the river, some are really nice with stuff to jump on, Paddle boats / Kayaks to rent and food is ok but they also will be crowded

dive up to Bokor?? see the abounded houses/villas

"the Italian corner" restaurant up from the beach on 33 about 1/2 kms has some good food
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doesn't it cost $10 to use one of those pagoda, most well stay in the restaurant
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

atst wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:07 am Doesn't it cost $10 to use one of those pagoda, most well stay in the restaurant
At least, BUT better deal than siting on the sidewalk on the beach for $15-20 and having the groups next to you speakers pointed at you.
tell ya, eating in kep leaves a LOT to be desired.
I head down a bit more and across from the rock hard hotel there is a turn towards the sea, huge swimming pool and sala's on the seafront for FREE,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:06 am Taking the kids to Kep during the water festival week.
Just looking for any recommendations, places to eat, stuff to do besides the beach while we’re there.
We’ll be there for 5 days/4 nights so 3 full days. If it was a bad call I’m sure they will do 2 beach days and 1 day at the hotel pool given they can spend all day in the pool we go to in PP.
Better book in advance, Kep can be very crowded during public holidays.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:06 am Taking the kids to Kep during the water festival week.
Better book in advance, Kep can be very crowded during public holidays.
thats a fucking understatement!!!! the only time i dont go to the beach
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I spent two days on Kep's beach last week. We just bought loads of crabs and prawns from the market and had it cooked for us, ate it all over the day so the question of dinner didn't even arise.

I liked it a lot more than I would have imagined. The weather was just perfect, it was neither too crowded nor deserted, nice to relax with plenty of food and cold beers.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

So the crab shacks still exist? Are there still gibbons in the bush whooping in the morning? Kep must have been beautiful when it was the French Riviera with those lovely houses. I used to go often, a mate of mine thought the drive from Kampot to Kep back in 2010 was one of the nicest drives ever.
It was always pretty but the warm shallow water at the beach was always a turnoff for me. I always dreamt of building a house there way back in the day but it was too fucking boring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic