Recent business visa on arrival?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
sketchyxxx
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Recent business visa on arrival?

Post by sketchyxxx »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:20 am There have been several similar reports over the past 6 months or so from people arriving in Siem Reap, no similar reports from people arriving in Phnom Penh (with the exception of certain Nationalities obviously).
Thanks for the info! I am leaving the country on Sunday, will try PP next.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

So one can apply for a business or retirement visa on arrival rather than an E visa? I need to open a bank account during a short stay so I want a long term visa. I can still speak Ok Khmer so should I use that or just act dumb. Because I am.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:17 pm So one can apply for a business or retirement visa on arrival rather than an E visa? .
No. There is no such thing as a Business or a Retirement Visa, they are Visa Extensions of Stay. The E-type (Ordinary) Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa, hence the confusion.

I must have posted this basic guide at least half a dozen times in the past few weeks....

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month, no passport pic required, no supporting documents required (for the majority of Nationalities).

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:17 pm So one can apply for a business or retirement visa on arrival rather than an E visa? I need to open a bank account during a short stay so I want a long term visa. I can still speak Ok Khmer so should I use that or just act dumb. Because I am.
you can open an account at CAB with your initial 30 day ordinary visa as i did it
others seem to ask for an extension an or lease agreement
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sketchyxxx
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by sketchyxxx »

Reentered at PNH and got ordinary visa without problems. Had to pay $40 for it though, not sure if they increased the price or I got hustled for $5. Guess I could have obtained ordinary visa at REP as well if I had answered their questions better, just wasn't prepared for it as they never asked questions in the past.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

sketchyxxx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm Reentered at PNH and got ordinary visa without problems. Had to pay $40 for it though, not sure if they increased the price or I got hustled for $5. Guess I could have obtained ordinary visa at REP as well if I had answered their questions better, just wasn't prepared for it as they never asked questions in the past.
Yes you got hustled, it is only $35 and that should be stamped in the top right hand corner of the Visa...this is why I always advise people to have the Visa fee in exact change and only hand that over.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I got back to Phnom Penh yesterday. Immigration was reasonably straight forward, but they’ve made it clear that my EB extension may not be further extendable.

History
My existing extension is based on a Business visa issued by the Cambodian consulate in London, back in COVID days. It was a handwritten visa insert in my passport, and very specifically stated BUSINESS, not EG, Ordinary or any other variation that would be expected.
When it came to extending that initial visa, several of the local agents (that I had used previously) ran into problems as they didn’t recognise, or claimed afterwards that the visa is not a normal visa.
Lucky and Kim did complete the visa extensions in the normal manner later, but it did result in an overstay because of the delays.

As of yesterday, the stance of the immigration folks is that I cannot and should not have an EB extension if I don’t have a current work permit, or work in Cambodia. Several times I was asked where I work in Cambodia. If I want to stay in future, I must get ER visa.

The word Visa, not Extension was what the immigration folks used.

This raises a couple of questions.
Firstly. The statement that I should instead get a retirement visa. As I understood it, Retirement is still an EOS on the ordinary visa. Has this changed? Or was this poorly stated by the chap in the nice blue uniform?

Secondly. Can I switch to an ER at my next visa extension (about seven weeks away) or does this need a new EG to be issued? Would that be possible without leaving and coming back in- a visa run?

Third. Chicken and egg type query. Which comes first, Work Permit or EB? I would have thought the EB would be the first step in the process of a work permit, but it’s not something that I’ve pursued, so I have no idea.

Sadly, Cambodia had a near ideal opportunity to revamp the Visa system back when the borders were closed, but let it slip through their fingers. Currently, there is still no provision in the system for a foreign national with a family (Cambodian nationals) residing in Cambodia.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:55 am
sketchyxxx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm Reentered at PNH and got ordinary visa without problems. Had to pay $40 for it though, not sure if they increased the price or I got hustled for $5. Guess I could have obtained ordinary visa at REP as well if I had answered their questions better, just wasn't prepared for it as they never asked questions in the past.
Yes you got hustled, it is only $35 and that should be stamped in the top right hand corner of the Visa...this is why I always advise people to have the Visa fee in exact change and only hand that over.
I was also charged $40, but I thought that had to do with not having the 4x6 photo that was needed.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Kenr there is no requirement to provide a passport sized pic for Visas on Arrival, that requirement was scrapped several years ago.

You guys need to just hand over the exact change, and always ask for a receipt to avoid getting ripped off. Some people might say "oh, it's only $5, not worth worrying about", but you should see some of these guys houses and vehicles they own to truly understand how many people they are conning out of "only $5", corruption breeds corruption and should not be tolerated or encouraged by bowing down.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 am I got back to Phnom Penh yesterday. Immigration was reasonably straight forward, but they’ve made it clear that my EB extension may not be further extendable.

History
My existing extension is based on a Business visa issued by the Cambodian consulate in London, back in COVID days. It was a handwritten visa insert in my passport, and very specifically stated BUSINESS, not EG, Ordinary or any other variation that would be expected.
When it came to extending that initial visa, several of the local agents (that I had used previously) ran into problems as they didn’t recognise, or claimed afterwards that the visa is not a normal visa.
Lucky and Kim did complete the visa extensions in the normal manner later, but it did result in an overstay because of the delays.

As of yesterday, the stance of the immigration folks is that I cannot and should not have an EB extension if I don’t have a current work permit, or work in Cambodia. Several times I was asked where I work in Cambodia. If I want to stay in future, I must get ER visa.

The word Visa, not Extension was what the immigration folks used.

This raises a couple of questions.
Firstly. The statement that I should instead get a retirement visa. As I understood it, Retirement is still an EOS on the ordinary visa. Has this changed? Or was this poorly stated by the chap in the nice blue uniform?

Secondly. Can I switch to an ER at my next visa extension (about seven weeks away) or does this need a new EG to be issued? Would that be possible without leaving and coming back in- a visa run?

Third. Chicken and egg type query. Which comes first, Work Permit or EB? I would have thought the EB would be the first step in the process of a work permit, but it’s not something that I’ve pursued, so I have no idea.

Sadly, Cambodia had a near ideal opportunity to revamp the Visa system back when the borders were closed, but let it slip through their fingers. Currently, there is still no provision in the system for a foreign national with a family (Cambodian nationals) residing in Cambodia.
That's just guff from the airport immigration folk

Your agent can sort a wp and a visa for you.

Just needs dollars
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic