Czech protesters call for new government, direct gas talks with Russia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Czech protesters call for new government, direct gas talks with Russia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

PRAGUE, Oct 28 (Reuters) - Thousands of Czechs protested in Prague on Friday, demanding the centre-right government step down to allow an early election and calling for talks with Russia on gas supplies ahead of winter.

The demonstration on a national holiday in Prague's main square was the third organised by far-right political movements, fringe groups and the Communist party. Police estimated the crowd in the lower tens of thousands, less than the two previous rallies.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue
Report an ad

The organising group "Czech Republic First!" opposes the European Union and NATO transatlantic alliance, and wants the nation of 10.7 million to be militarily neutral.

Protesters waved Czech flags, chanted "Resign, Resign" and carried signs calling for an exit from NATO and the EU.

"This is a new national revival and its goal is for the Czech Republic to be independent," event organiser Ladislav Vrabel said. "When I see a full square, no one can stop this."

High energy prices, fuelled by the war in Ukraine, have piled pressure on governments across Europe to cushion the blow of mounting energy costs for consumers and businesses.

The Czech government of Prime Minister Petr Fiala has signed up to EU sanctions against Russia and taken a tough stance over the invasion of Ukraine. It has also adopted a string of measures, including financial aid for companies and price caps on electricity for households.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/cz ... 022-10-28/

Valid points - it's not their war
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Czech protesters call for new government, direct gas talks with Russia

Post by newkidontheblock »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Valid points - it's not their war
Similar point was made in 1938 for the Sudetenland.

Putin wants to put the Soviet Union back together by force. The Czech Republic was behind the Iron Curtain.

President Biden could have made gas and oil production a national priority at the start. He could have shipped US natural gas and oil to Europe, and strengthened the alliance.

But he choose not to. Instead he tapped into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to stabilize gas prices in the US. And to beg oil rich countries such as Iran and Venezuela to send more to the US.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

This winter will seriously test the resolve of European governments and the depth of their citizen's resolve regarding Ukraine.

With gas prices trebling and talk of blackouts (even in Germany) rampant inflation and rising interest rates, this is shaping up to be a miserable winter for a lot of people, especially Ukrainians.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 am This winter will seriously test the resolve of European governments and the depth of their citizen's resolve regarding Ukraine.

With gas prices trebling and talk of blackouts (even in Germany) rampant inflation and rising interest rates, this is shaping up to be a miserable winter for a lot of people, especially Ukrainians.
I don't think this winter will be the test with governments bailing people out and all storage full, the next will be far more interesting I think with Nordstream blown to pieces and maybe the Norwegian pipeline taken down as well?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:26 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:Valid points - it's not their war
Similar point was made in 1938 for the Sudetenland.

Putin wants to put the Soviet Union back together by force. The Czech Republic was behind the Iron Curtain.

President Biden could have made gas and oil production a national priority at the start. He could have shipped US natural gas and oil to Europe, and strengthened the alliance.

But he choose not to. Instead he tapped into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to stabilize gas prices in the US. And to beg oil rich countries such as Iran and Venezuela to send more to the US.
Why would Biden have to bail out Europe?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:15 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 am This winter will seriously test the resolve of European governments and the depth of their citizen's resolve regarding Ukraine.

I don't think this winter will be the test with governments bailing people out and all storage full, the next will be far more interesting I think with Nordstream blown to pieces and maybe the Norwegian pipeline taken down as well?
Governments are not bailing people out of inflation or rising interest rates. Their only tool for inflation IS higher interest rates. And their assistance on energy prices is not the panacea they are claiming. The UK are facing at least 2 x last year's costs even with government help, with many reports of bills rising threefold.

Are gas storage facilities full Europe wide? The UK are having to open a mothballed storage site as there is only 9 days supply in storage. That doesn't sound full to me. I understood that Germany can't get it's reserves up to a high level either since the Russians cut off supplies.

I agree about next winter though, if things remain like this, governments won't be able to afford to keep writing blank checks to energy companies. It's a right mess out there...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 12867.html
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Europe gas storage reserves – by country, updated daily

https://viborc.com/europe-gas-storage-r ... try-daily/

"On October 6th, 2022, European Union filled 90.12% of its gas storage capacity. That covers 26.54% of its annual gas consumption.....

Gas prices are soaring
However, this is just one side of the story. Filling underground gas storage reservoirs is one thing. Buying gas is another, and it’s significantly more costly than it used to be. It is up to 10 times more expensive than in previous seasons....

European countries also started relying more on liquified natural gas (LNG) terminals as routes for gas flows into the European Union."
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:46 am

Governments are not bailing people out of inflation or rising interest rates. Their only tool for inflation IS higher interest rates. And their assistance on energy prices is not the panacea they are claiming. The UK are facing at least 2 x last year's costs even with government help, with many reports of bills rising threefold.

Are gas storage facilities full Europe wide? The UK are having to open a mothballed storage site as there is only 9 days supply in storage. That doesn't sound full to me. I understood that Germany can't get it's reserves up to a high level either since the Russians cut off supplies.

I agree about next winter though, if things remain like this, governments won't be able to afford to keep writing blank checks to energy companies. It's a right mess out there...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 12867.html
European prices dropped to below zero last week, so little demand at that time.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

The strange thing is that Norvegians do not use gas for cooking or for heating. In Norway half the houses use firewood for heating in the winter, And firewood prices has doubled in the last year.

Normally I use appx. 120 -150 sacks of firewood each winter (60 litres in a sack) in my house. A 60 litre sack is now getting close to 30 USD at the outlets. Fortunatly I cleared some land last winter and was able to produce close to 500 sacks. So I should be ok for a while. But my thoughts go out to all the people that now face a chilling winter and lower purchase power. It looks like all of Europe will face hard times, not only this coming winter, but also the next.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:19 pm
PRAGUE, Oct 28 (Reuters) - Thousands of Czechs protested in Prague on Friday, demanding the centre-right government step down to allow an early election and calling for talks with Russia on gas supplies ahead of winter.

The demonstration on a national holiday in Prague's main square was the third organised by far-right political movements, fringe groups and the Communist party. Police estimated the crowd in the lower tens of thousands, less than the two previous rallies.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue
Report an ad

The organising group "Czech Republic First!" opposes the European Union and NATO transatlantic alliance, and wants the nation of 10.7 million to be militarily neutral.

Protesters waved Czech flags, chanted "Resign, Resign" and carried signs calling for an exit from NATO and the EU.

"This is a new national revival and its goal is for the Czech Republic to be independent," event organiser Ladislav Vrabel said. "When I see a full square, no one can stop this."

High energy prices, fuelled by the war in Ukraine, have piled pressure on governments across Europe to cushion the blow of mounting energy costs for consumers and businesses.

The Czech government of Prime Minister Petr Fiala has signed up to EU sanctions against Russia and taken a tough stance over the invasion of Ukraine. It has also adopted a string of measures, including financial aid for companies and price caps on electricity for households.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/cz ... 022-10-28/

Valid points - it's not their war

Euronews: Ukraine war: Huge pro-Kyiv rally in Prague, more Russian missile attacks, UK hacking claims
Euronews: Ukraine war: Huge pro-Kyiv rally in Prague....

https://www.euronews.com/2022/10/30/ukr ... ing-claims

Voice of America - VOA News: Tens of Thousands of Czechs Show Their Support for Ukraine

https://www.voanews.com/a/tens-of-thous ... 11935.html

2 sides to every story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic