Thailand allows Farangs to buy up to 1 rai and build Their house

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Thailand allows Farangs to buy up to 1 rai and build Their house

Post by Darkcel »

"Yes, please purchase land and build a western style house in OUR country. Remember, you can't take that land back with you when you're abruptly forced out of OUR country." The Thai says rubbing his hands together
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:49 am "Yes, please purchase land and build a western style house in OUR country. Remember, you can't take that land back with you when you're abruptly forced out of OUR country." The Thai says rubbing his hands together
dont see what the big deal is about;
1 rai (1,600 sqm) is fuck all compared to the overall size of the country>
how many Thai's, Khmers, Burmese, Singaporeans etc etc own land/homes in the UK, America, Australia??

FYI:
wanna buy some land Anywhere in Thailand? Easy, Put it in my daughters name and u'll get ur land with an iron clad agreement that will last forever........................................... :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 am FYI:
wanna buy some land Anywhere in Thailand? Easy, Put it in my daughters name and u'll get ur land with an iron clad agreement that will last forever........................................... :beer3:
Well that's obviously nonsense, the "forever" part at least.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 am
Darkcel wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:49 am "Yes, please purchase land and build a western style house in OUR country. Remember, you can't take that land back with you when you're abruptly forced out of OUR country." The Thai says rubbing his hands together
dont see what the big deal is about;
1 rai (1,600 sqm) is fuck all compared to the overall size of the country>
how many Thai's, Khmers, Burmese, Singaporeans etc etc own land/homes in the UK, America, Australia??

FYI:
Friend of mines retirement plan was to live off the rental income of 3 properties bought in his daughters name. When the time came she admitted she'd lost them gambling.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:02 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 am FYI:
Well that's obviously nonsense, the "forever" part at least.
why? she is a thai citizen and can hold land and can make an airtight contract with anyone>
granting whomever the rights to do what they wish with the land an sell it if they wish
thats how my land is owned
Friend of mines retirement plan was to live off the rental income of 3 properties bought in his daughters name. When the time came she admitted she'd lost them gambling.

yea of course ,shit happens
BUT if he had an contract held at a court, she couldn't have sold it without his signature.

of course thais will be thai's
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:12 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:02 pm Well that's obviously nonsense, the "forever" part at least.
why? she is a thai citizen and can hold land and can make an airtight contract with anyone>
granting whomever the rights to do what they wish with the land an sell it if they wish
thats how my land is owned
There's a time limit for "airtight contracts" registered with the land office. 30 years. There has been talk of extending it, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm 46 now, so having to renegotiate such an "airtight contract" when I'm 76 doesn't sound very appealing to me. Okay, I might die before and then wouldn't need to care, but who knows?

Then there's the very real possibility that the Thai citizen in question could die before me or become legally incompetent. Who will inherit the land then, or be in charge? Depending on how much they want the land, they might find a way (legal or otherwise).

Long story short, even if you trust the Thai nominee 100%, things can and do go wrong. Plenty of horror stories. And for what? Builds are shoddy anyway, neighborhoods change, better to rent and move when you feel like it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

correct, all those 90 year leases that were sold in phuket were built on sand>
for the 2nd, 3rd 30 to become effective, a NEW contract needs be done, notarized and filed with the land office with a copy of the thai owners current id card

Buying in Phuket,( 2,600 sqm on a dirt road with no electricity) when i did was just about the best investment i ever made
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I’m a Libtard the title to this thread should read :

“Thailand allows ALIENS to buy up to 1 rai and build their house”
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Another example of fears expressed by some that the Prayut Chan-o-cha regime is literally selling Thai land through the recent proposed legal amendment that would allow foreigners to own up to 1 rai of land if they invest 40 million baht per year for 3 years. Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam said Thursday the government is not selling Thailand to foreigners and it is ready to retreat if people are unhappy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic