Why are Takhmao City Rivers Turning Black ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Why are Takhmao City Rivers Turning Black ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Takhmao City Authority is investigating the case of Stung Prek Tnaot turning black
Appeared 4 minutes ago
On Monday, October 24, 2022
By deth leng
Cambodia News, (Kandal province): Mr. Khim Samphear, Governor of Takhmao City, told Kampuchea Thmey on the afternoon of October 24 that the Prek Tnaot river use to flow from the upper part of the capital around Choeung Ek, but after a while, the water stopped flowing and the river began to change color.
For almost a week now, the Prek Tnaot river in Doeum Mean commune, Takhmao city, Kandal province, is gradually becoming blacker.
The Takhmao mayor confirmed that the authorities are concerned by the situation, but they have already reported the problem to the Ministry of Water Resources and they are now waiting for a response from the Ministry.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why are Takhmao City Rivers Turning Black ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Reporters in the article below ask the people living locally what they think about state of the rivers in Takhmao City, and the replies are bleak - smelly, vomit, causing sickness, no fish. However, the big question is, what is the principal cause of this pollution which has become notably worse over the past two months.
A fisherman interviewed below says:
The water in Stung Prek Tnoat River has become worse this year because sewage is flowing from Boeng Tompun lake and Boeng Choeung Ek lake into Stung Chrov River and Stung Prek Tnoat River.
This is a good starting point for an investigation.

November 22, 2022
Rivers in Takhmao stink
Chhun Sunly / Khmer Tim
The waters of Stung Prek Tnoat River and Stung Chrov River in Kandal province’s Takhmao City are deteriorating by the day and residents living nearby are concerned over the pollution of the two rivers.
Reporter Chhun Sunly and photographer Pann Rachana learn what is happening.

Uon Sreymom, 72, housewife
I no longer use Stung Prek Tnoat River water for washing clothes and taking baths because the water quality is really bad and smelly. I have banned my grandchildren from playing in the river water as the water is contaminated. I do not want them to contract diseases or illnesses.

Lek Vannak, 45, construction worker
I have been living near Stung Chrov River for over 10 years but now I don’t like to live here anymore because it stinks. I will relocate my house once I could afford to do it because I don’t want my family to live with the smell. The smell is really bad and sometimes it is revolting. You will want to vomit when you smell it.

Sak Ny Ysang, 9, student

I like to swim in Stung Prek Tnoat River with my cousins and friends after school, especially on Sundays. I always get itchy skin after swimming in the river and sometimes the water makes my body smelly. The water is now very smelly and I think I will stop playing in the river.
More here: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501188878/ ... mao-stink/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Raw sewerage

Its always happened there but must be more frequent now
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Or it’s algae mixing with sewage making it look worse?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

mannanman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:08 pm Or it’s algae mixing with sewage making it look worse?
Same smell as the shitty river, same cause imo
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I remember 1st time I went to Kampot in 2015, walking beside the river, where I noticed a lot of black discharge flowing from a pipe into the river. As you got closer, to the pipe, the smell got worse & worse

I'm sure that was raw sewage, this sounds the same

Its plainly obvious to anybody with a nose that works
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Maybe the competent authorities will get right on that.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:07 pm I remember 1st time I went to Kampot in 2015, walking beside the river, where I noticed a lot of black discharge flowing from a pipe into the river. As you got closer, to the pipe, the smell got worse & worse

I'm sure that was raw sewage, this sounds the same

Its plainly obvious to anybody with a nose that works
Raw sewage isn't black (although there certainly could be some hiding in there). The overflow from septic tanks is black.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Most of Kampot have no sceptic tanks or waste water pipes. It just flows into the storm water drains and into the river.
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mannanman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:23 pm Most of Kampot have no sceptic tanks or waste water pipes. It just flows into the storm water drains and into the river.
How do you figure that? The tanks are usually underground.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic