How Much Should You Tip Workers in Adult KTVs ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How Much Should You Tip Workers in Adult KTVs ?

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:46 am
atst wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:41 am Tipping is an American thing so they can pay low wages
Common in many European countries as well (for the same reasons).
Common because people saw it in north America where they actually got some decent service, and so it caught on in Europe.

Now they just add a service charge of anything between 10 to 15% so any incentive to make an extra effort is gone but you are still stuck with an uplift in your bill simply for taking an order and bringing it to the table.

'Tips' are now an entitlement,and as with any entitlement, there is no gratitude. Gratitude for discretionary tips fuels effort, entitlement kills effort stone dead.

If you're on the hook for a party of six and the bill comes to £300, that extra £30-£45 begins to grate. It's just an owner's racket to force tips and then keep them to subsidise the wage bill.

I notice there are few places that have cottoned on over here, Metro for example, who add 5% and also 10% VAT, even if you are just having a beer at the bar.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am
Common because people saw it in north America where they actually got some decent service, and so it caught on in Europe.
The first records of tips (Bibalia) in Germany go back to the 14th century. And tipping in America started after the Civil War when travelling Americans brought the habit from the UK, where records of tipping go back to 1755.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 am
The first records of tips (Bibalia) in Germany go back to the 14th century. And tipping in America started after the Civil War when travelling Americans brought the habit from the UK, where records of tipping go back to 1755.
Ha Ha. How old are you Hanno?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:59 am
hanno wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 am
Ha Ha. How old are you Hanno?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I don't always tip KTV waitresses, but when I do ..

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 pm call me old school ,
i give everybody everywhere $1 everytime ,
no matter what ..
if really cute and smiling maybe ( or usually ) $1.25¢
i am exactly the same, a dollar tip is in my eyes very well,

i dont know where in europe they do tip, its probably "imported" from the US, but i travelled around all europe and tipping is not at all the rule, ofcourse its accepted, but nobody will look mad to you if you dont !!
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:10 am
Brody wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:01 pm Image
Must be from the land downunder. :thumb:
will scream to the day I die, that out side of strip clubs, you never tip in Australia.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:30 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 pm call me old school ,
i give everybody everywhere $1 everytime ,
no matter what ..
if really cute and smiling maybe ( or usually ) $1.25¢
i am exactly the same, a dollar tip is in my eyes very well,

i dont know where in europe they do tip, its probably "imported" from the US, but i travelled around all europe and tipping is not at all the rule, ofcourse its accepted, but nobody will look mad to you if you dont !!
In the Uk where I grew up, we always tipped taxi drivers, barbers (don’t ask me why?) we only tipped waiting staff if the service was above and beyond adequate.
This bullshit in the US whereby the waitresses depend on, and expect, the generosity of customers (regardless of how competent or friendly their service is) to make a living wage is ridiculous. The law should demand you pay your staff a proper wage, if you have to raise your prices to do so, so be it.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:30 pmprobably "imported" from the US,
See above. In Germany, tipping is very much the norm for restaurant staff, bell boys, and indeed barbers as well.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

In the Netherlands at a pub - the owner was offended when I offered a tip. “What’s this?!” and then “We don’t do that around here.”
Stay classy na
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic