Bringing prescribtion meds into Cambodia -HOW?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Bringing prescribtion meds into Cambodia -HOW?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I knew a gent once who brought enough morphine to kill an army platoon here, which was for his maintenance doses solely

He didn't have any bother at the border, had a script and a letter from his NHS doc iirc
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

TimDrake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm
truffledog wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:52 pm the requirements depend a lot on your travel route as you will probably not use a direct flight to Cambodia from your departure country. Avoid any petrol country as a stopver.

There will be 1 stop, that is Bangkok. I can handle that. Do you know about cambodia? Cambodian laws when it comes to this topic? Do you have experiences? Does Cambodian customs check the bags on arrival?
I am sorry I only know the procedures to import such medicines into Thailand. I am not sure if you will get problems just transiting (will you just stay in the transit area or do you need to check-in again in BKK?). On my various visits to Cambodia my bags have been checked...not often though. I would never risk to just gamble with this type of medicines. Better safe than sorry.
work is for people who cant find truffles
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:03 pm I knew a gent once who brought enough morphine to kill an army platoon here, which was for his maintenance doses solely

He didn't have any bother at the border, had a script and a letter from his NHS doc iirc
When I came I brought a bottle full of trazodone enuf for 10 years ,
I was only expecting to stay a year or so , but been here nearly 12 , soooo
I recently ran out and they still don’t have it here and so don’t know what i’ma gonna do .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
TimDrake
Tourist
Austria

Post by TimDrake »

There will be 1 stop, that is Bangkok. I can handle that. Do you know about cambodia? Cambodian laws when it comes to this topic? Do you have experiences? Does Cambodian customs check the bags on arrival?
[/quote]

I am sorry I only know the procedures to import such medicines into Thailand. I am not sure if you will get problems just transiting (will you just stay in the transit area or do you need to check-in again in BKK?). On my various visits to Cambodia my bags have been checked...not often though. I would never risk to just gamble with this type of medicines. Better safe than sorry.
[/quote]

If I can take the flight I want, then i would stay in the transit area. It´s a single ticket flight with 1 hour and 10 minutes stay in BKK. But i am not 100% sure yet.
If I would stay in the transit area do you think that I still needed to apply for the permit to bring "narcotics" into Thailand?

At least that procedure is clearly explained and straight forward. They even have a website where you can apply for that permit with about one click. As far as i´ve been told the process takes 3 to 10 days and the permit is usually granted.

I love that system. Every country should just copy that. Because that way you are sure, that you are doing it right. And don´t have to be afraid of any unwanted consequences.

Thank you very much for your reply!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

TimDrake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:28 pm There will be 1 stop, that is Bangkok. I can handle that. Do you know about cambodia? Cambodian laws when it comes to this topic? Do you have experiences? Does Cambodian customs check the bags on arrival?
[/quote]

If I can take the flight I want, then i would stay in the transit area. It´s a single ticket flight with 1 hour and 10 minutes stay in BKK. But i am not 100% sure yet.
If I would stay in the transit area do you think that I still needed to apply for the permit to bring "narcotics" into Thailand?

At least that procedure is clearly explained and straight forward. They even have a website where you can apply for that permit with about one click. As far as i´ve been told the process takes 3 to 10 days and the permit is usually granted.

I love that system. Every country should just copy that. Because that way you are sure, that you are doing it right. And don´t have to be afraid of any unwanted consequences.

Thank you very much for your reply!
[/quote]

I can confirm that the thai online procedure is as easy as booking a flight. We got response within 3 days.

In case you have to exit the transit area use the red channel and show the document you got mailed from the Thai authorities. They usually want to see the medicine. There is a max quantity allowed (30days prescription max?)
work is for people who cant find truffles
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

TimDrake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:21 pm I am thinking about writing e-mails to the Cambodian Ministry of Health. And if they don´t respond, maybe to GDCE (Cambodian customs). But I am reluctant to do so, because I am not sure if that would make things better or worse
You won't get a reply, even though many official Cambodian Government websites list an email address, they never reply to emails.
TimDrake
Tourist
Austria

Post by TimDrake »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:19 am
TimDrake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:21 pm I am thinking about writing e-mails to the Cambodian Ministry of Health. And if they don´t respond, maybe to GDCE (Cambodian customs). But I am reluctant to do so, because I am not sure if that would make things better or worse
You won't get a reply, even though many official Cambodian Government websites list an email address, they never reply to emails.
Exactly my experience. I will post an update, if that changes.
Thank you for the reply!
TimDrake
Tourist
Austria

Post by TimDrake »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:27 pm
Some sources say that a doctor´s letter in english is enough. Others claim it needs to be in french. Others hint that some drugs(meds) are just prohibited/impossible to legally import. Which probably is bs, because nearly all countries have lists like that, but they also have ways to import those narcotics/psychotropics/meds for personal use.
It's not BS, for example Adderall and all amphetamine based medications are banned in Cambodia. There are no exceptions to this, and they aren't going to let you import any for any reason.
Yes, you are absolutely right about that. If I knew that Morphine were illegal in Cambodia, in the way Aderall is, then I would know that entering the country would be impossible until I were to switch to a diffrent med. Something that is legal in Cambodia.
But if it is not otright illegal, I am pretty sure that bringing some ,exclusively for personal use, would be ok.
Do you know how to find out which medications and substances are outright banned, without exceptions? I only found a very long list of restricted goods, that contained evereything from breeding chicken over sandalwood to nuclear waste.
Does anyone know if Morphine is available in Cambodian pharmacies or if it is banned like Aderall?
Could anyone find this out for me?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TimDrake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:18 pm
Some sources say that a doctor´s letter in english is enough. Others claim it needs to be in french. Others hint that some drugs(meds) are just prohibited/impossible to legally import. Which probably is bs, because nearly all countries have lists like that, but they also have ways to import those narcotics/psychotropics/meds for personal use.
It's not BS, for example Adderall and all amphetamine based medications are banned in Cambodia. There are no exceptions to this, and they aren't going to let you import any for any reason.
Yes, you are absolutely right about that. If I knew that Morphine were illegal in Cambodia, in the way Aderall is, then I would know that entering the country would be impossible until I were to switch to a diffrent med. Something that is legal in Cambodia.
But if it is not otright illegal, I am pretty sure that bringing some ,exclusively for personal use, would be ok.
Do you know how to find out which medications and substances are outright banned, without exceptions? I only found a very long list of restricted goods, that contained evereything from breeding chicken over sandalwood to nuclear waste.
Does anyone know if Morphine is available in Cambodian pharmacies or if it is banned like Aderall?
Call Pharmacy de la Gare in Phnom Penh. They can tell you, they're probably the most reliable pharmacy in the country.
TimDrake
Tourist
Austria

Post by TimDrake »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:39 pm
TimDrake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:18 pm
Call Pharmacy de la Gare in Phnom Penh. They can tell you, they're probably the most reliable pharmacy in the country.
Thank you very much!!! I had not even though about contacting pharmacies . I will write them an E-Mail now. If they don´t answer, until friday, then I will call them. Which is probably pretty expensive. And I didn´see Telegram, Signal or Whattsapp contact on their webpage. Do they have such a contact?
Anyways, thanks a lot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic