i dont know what to make of this? laugh or cry

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: i dont know what to make of this? laugh or cry

Post by xandreu »

I suddenly had $2000 deposited into my ABA out of the blue a while back. Kinda knew there had been some mistake so I just left it, and sure enough was contacted by ABA the next day to say that $2000 had been deposited into my account by accident. I said I know, and they said they can't just take the money back out of my account without my signature, and asked me to go into the branch to authorise it.

I took time out of my day to go and do this, waiting for about 30 minutes after taking my ticket. I eventually got to the counter, signed the paperwork, and the money was taken from my account.

I later learned that if you wrongly transfer money into someone else's account, ABA change you $50 to get it back.

Excuse me? ABA charge the customer $50, yet it's me who has to do all the legwork, take time out of my day to go and fill in all the necessary paperwork, and ABA get to keep 100% of the $50 they charged the customer?

I'm tempted to say that next time I just won't bother, but then I guess that would be theft.

Catch-22.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:32 am I suddenly had $2000 deposited into my ABA out of the blue a while back. Kinda knew there had been some mistake so I just left it, and sure enough was contacted by ABA the next day to say that $2000 had been deposited into my account by accident. I said I know, and they said they can't just take the money back out of my account without my signature, and asked me to go into the branch to authorise it.

I took time out of my day to go and do this, waiting for about 30 minutes after taking my ticket. I eventually got to the counter, signed the paperwork, and the money was taken from my account.

I later learned that if you wrongly transfer money into someone else's account, ABA change you $50 to get it back.

Excuse me? ABA charge the customer $50, yet it's me who has to do all the legwork, take time out of my day to go and fill in all the necessary paperwork, and ABA get to keep 100% of the $50 they charged the customer?

I'm tempted to say that next time I just won't bother, but then I guess that would be theft.

Catch-22.
It would not be theft (imnsho). They are requesting you to visit them to correct their/someone’s mistake. Either, take receipts with you to cover expenses, and make it a condition that out of pocket expenses be reimbursed. Or, Just agree to go along at your convenience. Could be a week, a month, a year. But at your convenience.

This decade is slowly becoming known as the decade when honest people are held accountable for other folks mistakes, incompetence and laziness.
CLM! Customers lives matter.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:32 am I suddenly had $2000 deposited into my ABA out of the blue a while back. Kinda knew there had been some mistake so I just left it, and sure enough was contacted by ABA the next day to say that $2000 had been deposited into my account by accident. I said I know, and they said they can't just take the money back out of my account without my signature, and asked me to go into the branch to authorise it.

Catch-22.
I'm not sure WHEN it would become theft. In my case, I'm not in Cambodia 3+ out of 4 weeks of the month, so leaving aside if they'd even manage to contact me right away, they might well have to wait 3+ weeks until I can visit a branch.

I'd probably ask them if I can't just transfer it back using their app. That would be the obvious solution.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I did ask that but for one reason or another it wasn't possible. Apparently it was because it had been reported as a mistaken transaction, so according to the girl on the phone, who quite possibly didn't know what she was talking about, going into the branch to authorise the return of the money, along with my signature, was the only option.

Plus, remember, they charge $50 to get the money back for you if you transfer money by mistake. If I simply transferred the money back, how would they get their $50? (I didn't know at the time that they had this charge)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:17 pm I did ask that but for one reason or another it wasn't possible. Apparently it was because it had been reported as a mistaken transaction, so according to the girl on the phone, who quite possibly didn't know what she was talking about, going into the branch to authorise the return of the money, along with my signature, was the only option.

Plus, remember, they charge $50 to get the money back for you if you transfer money by mistake. If I simply transferred the money back, how would they get their $50? (I didn't know at the time that they had this charge)
All that is true of course. I had similar mistaken transactions with Wing quite some years ago (small amounts though) and it really annoyed me that there wasn't an option for me to just return the money from the app.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Bankers. What else do they do, except exploitation and robbery?
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

Mid April I deposited 2000 USD by error into the account of the guy in front of me at the ATM deposit machine who left his transaction unfinished. I immediately reported this to the ABA staff who after looking into the matter for an hour told me that the guy already transferred the money out of his account and they could block his account and try to recuperated the amount but the chance is 50/50 and would I like them to do that for a fee of $50 whether it was successful or not. I agreed and then nothing happened until 2 months later on June 19 when I had long given up hope to my surprise my account was credited the full amount. Thank you ABA! $50 well spent.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

schlarry wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:35 pm Bankers. What else do they do, except exploitation and robbery?
They're after you Vlad, I have it on good authority.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

in the early 90s i lost my wallet in a toilet in Hamburg, Germany. Probably 3 months later i received a letter from belgian consul in Hamburg: they found my wallet including my ID and 50 german marks. And was send back to my home adress, 30 years ago. I doubt i still hapens now in hamburg . . .
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Alex wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:09 pm
schlarry wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:35 pm Bankers. What else do they do, except exploitation and robbery?
They're after you Vlad, I have it on good authority.
My millions of dollars in hidden Swiss bank accounts, my gains from teaching, I'm Croesus, that's what they're after!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic