Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RafTig
Tourist

Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

Post by RafTig »

Hi guys.

I'm a first time traveler here, being previously in Thailand and Vietnam.

I want to like Cambodia more than I do. The people here are really nice and I wish them the best moving forward especially with the dark past they had.

My overall opinion tho, and one shared by other travelers I've chatted to along the way, is that the situation here makes it hard to find a reason to travel back again any time soon.

For a tourist, there just isn't that much to do, which would be alright if it was really cheap, but it's not. I'd say the prices here swing closer to Thailand than Vietnam, and while I prefer Cambodian people more than the Thai, Thailand has way more things to do.

The Vietnamese are just as nice, if not a little bit nicer than the Cambodians are, but while there isn't as much to do as in Thailand, there is enough there, and the prices justify it even more.

I get a sense that Cambodia has rushed ahead of itself, trying to get in line with its neighbours but doing it way too soon.

A visit to the newly built Chip Mong Mall in PP sums it up. Half empty with shops that the locals probably have no way to afford.

Maybe it's a case of "fake it till you make it" or "if you build it, they will come"

Maybe once China opens, those tourists will pick up the slack.

I wish Cambodia all the best, but it will be a pass next time I visit SE Asia again, as it will be with many tourists I spoke to along the trail.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

Post by rogerrabbit »

RafTig wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:20 am
For a tourist, there just isn't that much to do, which would be alright if it was really cheap, but it's not. I'd say the prices here swing closer to Thailand than Vietnam, and while I prefer Cambodian people more than the Thai, Thailand has way more things to do.
Just out of interest, what is it that you couldn't do here that you can do in Vietnam? What cities did you visit?
NotYourUncle
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by NotYourUncle »

I can't be bothered to reply.. a lot of first time travellers here have the same impression. I think they're not being given the movie star treatment they deserve.. it's ok, you can just stay in vietnam
pronouns- it/that
as quite obviously, I identify as a f***ing watermelon
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

The OP has another thread on here he started and was complaining about the ST prices in Cambodia compared to Thailand.

Question for the OP. What attractions were you looking for? In another thread you stated, you stated you wanted to take a girl back to your room every day because you heard it was only $30 for a ST, but they were asking for $50-$100. It sounds more like you weren’t there for “touristy” activities, you were there to monger, which is ok, nothing wrong with that. But if you were spending all your time trying to get girls to go with you for $30, when did you have time to check anything else out?
RafTig
Tourist

Post by RafTig »

Kenr wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:40 am The OP has another thread on here he started and was complaining about the ST prices in Cambodia compared to Thailand.

Question for the OP. What attractions were you looking for? In another thread you stated, you stated you wanted to take a girl back to your room every day because you heard it was only $30 for a ST, but they were asking for $50-$100. It sounds more like you weren’t there for “touristy” activities, you were there to monger, which is ok, nothing wrong with that. But if you were spending all your time trying to get girls to go with you for $30, when did you have time to check anything else out?
I like many things, including the "after dark" part.

Obviously if I travel to Pattaya I'm not going for the temples.

I was desperate to find something in Cambodia that would have me coming back, even if it was going to be that, but it won't.
RafTig
Tourist

Post by RafTig »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:54 am
RafTig wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:20 am
Just out of interest, what is it that you couldn't do here that you can do in Vietnam? What cities did you visit?
Every place is going to be different so my sense is of the country overall, unless you want to compare a major city to a major city, like PP to HCM / Hanoi, or even BKK, in which case I can write out a big list.

I went to Battangbang, PP, Siem, Kampot and Koh Rong.

It's just that there is less to do, or just not as good, but without the cheaper price.

You can have a much better holiday, with more interesting activities and food, or convenience and pay less.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

would be alright if it was really cheap, but it's not. I'd say the prices here swing closer to Thailand than Vietnam
Unless you're from the US, in which case there's no forex involved, the high $US has made Cambodia quite a bit more expensive vis-a-vie Thailand/Vietnam than it used to be?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

been saying this for years and been slammed because of it
Cambodia is wonderful the first time, and Angkor wat is a must see, Koh Ker, Bang Mela, Preah Vihear, Phnom Pehn, great for a few days, Kampot, Kep, Battamabang, the scenery in Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri

BUT there is absolutely no reason to return>
in 16 years since i first visited the only things that have changed really is; the roads are better, prices have gone up, tuk tuks have evolved, The Toyota highlander has replaced the Camry for long distance travel, a few more bridges, Phnom Pehn has grown by leaps an bounds, (satellite cities, many new condos/high rises .. i have no idea who they are aimed for) and there's many many more malls (in PP) and fancy cars around.
i find Angkor wat not nearly as interesting now, as before they added all the marked paths one must follow (i do understand the reason for them thou). The 1 month it was open at night, was magical

anyway, my $.05 worth.

FYI
Thailand, Vietnam get upwards of 40% return visitors. Doubt Cambodia gets 5% ( except for the Chinese gamblers and money launderers).
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Sorry OP, I don’t understand the “fake it till you make it” or the “if you build it, they will come” remark. Could you elaborate?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am Thailand, Vietnam get upwards of 40% return visitors. Doubt Cambodia gets 5% ( except for the Chinese gamblers and money launderers).
The Vietnamese government claims 40% return visitors, a number not borne out by what I have personally observed in working a while over here. Foreign rerun visitors are like hen's teeth: very rare (I saw a figure of 6% elsewhere). Take out all the Vietnamese with foreign passports that come back every year as well as the expats and there isn't much left.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic