Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:46 pm I think he has a valid point. Please look at it from his point of view.

He isn’t like a typical expat, staying months or years. He’s a tourist, here for a week (or much, much less). He needs experiences close by and lined up. Most of the experiences are far from each other and require long travel times.

Think about it, if one had 2 days to see all Cambodia (and want to come back for more), where would a tourist go to and want to see? 48 hrs to experience, no more.

These are my opinions.
Let’s pursue that reasoning-

If it were a Mr.B type he may well have done some ground work prior to arriving, and within a very short period of time headed off to an obscure, or minimally documented temple.
If it were a first time visitor with even just a superficial interest in history, there’s Angkor Wat or S21.

If it’s someone who occasionally engages in some random wandering (which I have been apt to do), then I’d have planned to simply go walkabout and taken a look at anything that catches my eye. Whether it be the copious pagodas, riverside, people watching or just jumping on a bus and seeing what’s at the end.

The internet is quite good in providing some outline information.

If a prime reason for being in town is daily relief of pent up hydraulic pressure in the nethers, and then sitting about wondering what to do with approximately 12 spare hours per day, that suggests a lack of any interest in what Cambodia may offer, no understanding of what Cambodia is, and little inclination to find out. Maybe the expectation was that it is a copy of Thailand, with some variation?
Neither a tourist nor an expat.
There’s little wrong with that, but there’s no point in complaining about it either.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:46 pm I think he has a valid point. Please look at it from his point of view.

He isn’t like a typical expat, staying months or years. He’s a tourist, here for a week (or much, much less). He needs experiences close by and lined up. Most of the experiences are far from each other and require long travel times.

Think about it, if one had 2 days to see all Cambodia (and want to come back for more), where would a tourist go to and want to see? 48 hrs to experience, no more.

These are my opinions.
You have a lot in common with the OP so I can see why you sympathize with him. Neither of you have the slightest amount of interest in Cambodian culture, you both just came here for cheap pussy. Sorry to be blunt but I'm telling it like it is. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

These are my opinions.
Well if you are traveling to a country as a tourist for a week, or much, much less as you put it, then why travel to five (5) different cities in that country? It doesn’t matter what country you go to, if you are doing that much in-country traveling in that period of time it is going to seem that there’s not much to do, because you’re not staying long enough in one (1) place to find out, and it is going to cost a little bit of change and a whole lot of time to do all that traveling around from city to city.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

RafTig wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:20 am Hi guys.

I'm a first time traveler here, being previously in Thailand and Vietnam.

I want to like Cambodia more than I do. The people here are really nice and I wish them the best moving forward especially with the dark past they had.

My overall opinion tho, and one shared by other travelers I've chatted to along the way, is that the situation here makes it hard to find a reason to travel back again any time soon.

For a tourist, there just isn't that much to do, which would be alright if it was really cheap, but it's not. I'd say the prices here swing closer to Thailand than Vietnam, and while I prefer Cambodian people more than the Thai, Thailand has way more things to do.

The Vietnamese are just as nice, if not a little bit nicer than the Cambodians are, but while there isn't as much to do as in Thailand, there is enough there, and the prices justify it even more.

I get a sense that Cambodia has rushed ahead of itself, trying to get in line with its neighbours but doing it way too soon.

A visit to the newly built Chip Mong Mall in PP sums it up. Half empty with shops that the locals probably have no way to afford.

Maybe it's a case of "fake it till you make it" or "if you build it, they will come"

Maybe once China opens, those tourists will pick up the slack.

I wish Cambodia all the best, but it will be a pass next time I visit SE Asia again, as it will be with many tourists I spoke to along the trail.

Well, this is why they're different countries; because they're not the same.

Some people get this idea that they should be the same, that banh mi should be common in Thailand and Viet Nam should have go-go bars. But that doesn't correspond with reality, and they get bent out of shape.

Each country has its pluses and minuses, so none of them are perfect. People like to debate these points logically but in the end, they go where they FEEL something comfortable, which is emotional rather than logical.

Anywayz, as we say in America, "Love It or Leave It". If you're not happy, go somewhere else. Keep life simple. Complaining just generates negative energy.
Last edited by sigmoid on Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

These are my opinions.
Lol, and these are my opinions - If I had two days holiday, I would not plan to visit Cambodia. What could you do and see in 48 hours ? You wouldn't even touch the surface of what Cambodia has to offer. :facepalm:

But ok, let's play the 48h tourist visit game - maybe fly in to Siem Reap for 2 days and visit Angkor Wat and Pub St on the first day, then on the second day maybe do an orphanage visit with a quick game of football with the kids and some selfies of you with underprivileged orphans for FB (delivering pencils, footballs, and chewing gum).
And then,why not a visit a spa or have a foot massage after such a hard day, before heading for the night market to eat, and then get pissed drinbking buckets of ethanol alcohol cheap booze at the street-cart bars, and then ultimately head off to discover the charms of Siem Reap by Night. :bananadance:

Ask your hotel for the early morning wake up call. And bye bye! :wave:
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

I need 2 to 3 days in KOW to just get rid of the Jetlag. So I need to have a few calm days to start of the trip on the right foot.

As for Thailand (Pattaya) being better, well that is a matter of perspective, and depends on what Your personal needs are. I prefer the KOW over Thailand any day mainly because of the more relaxed and laid back attitude among the Khmer. Places like Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and even Koh Samui are very busy. But of course, if that is Your fancy, then You go there.

I have no need for GoGo bars, or KTV`s for that matter, and find my joy in a nice bar/ restaurant at the beach looking at the scenery and enjoying good company with friends when the sun sets. During the daytime I sometimes go fishing, go shopping or visit a local temple/ village to try and get a better understanding of the local culture. And there are days that I just go walkabout, preferably on a bicycle. And if this is not enough for some tourists and their needs are controlled by their lower regions, then mayby Pattaya will suit their needs better.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I suspect that had the OP scored some 20 dollar hookers, he’d be singing the praises of Cambodia and have already booked a return visit.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Grand Barong wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:34 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am been saying this for years and been slammed because of it
Cambodia is wonderful the first time, and Angkor wat is a must see, Koh Ker, Bang Mela, Preah Vihear, Phnom Pehn, great for a few days, Kampot, Kep, Battamabang, the scenery in Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri

BUT there is absolutely no reason to return>
in 16 years since i first visited the only things that have changed really is; the roads are better, prices have gone up, tuk tuks have evolved, The Toyota highlander has replaced the Camry for long distance travel, a few more bridges, Phnom Pehn has grown by leaps an bounds, (satellite cities, many new condos/high rises .. i have no idea who they are aimed for) and there's many many more malls (in PP) and fancy cars around.
i find Angkor wat not nearly as interesting now, as before they added all the marked paths one must follow (i do understand the reason for them thou). The 1 month it was open at night, was magical

anyway, my $.05 worth.

FYI
Thailand, Vietnam get upwards of 40% return visitors. Doubt Cambodia gets 5% ( except for the Chinese gamblers and money launderers).
You sure spend a hell of a lot of your life on this Cambodian Forum for someone who is so endeared by Thailand.. They have many forums too you know where you could interact with other Thai Fanboys? just sayin what everyones thinking.... :whip: but you know that hey..
at least i comment on the posts , rather than just making snotty comments about the poster. :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:20 am I suspect that had the OP scored some 20 dollar hookers, he’d be singing the praises of Cambodia and have already booked a return visit.
Exactly and why there's so many return visitors to Thailand, once you see a temple no need to revisit.
Cambodia had a beach that was worth a revisit years ago.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

atst wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:35 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:20 am I suspect that had the OP scored some 20 dollar hookers, he’d be singing the praises of Cambodia and have already booked a return visit.
Exactly and why there's so many return visitors to Thailand, once you see a temple no need to revisit.
Cambodia had a beach that was worth a revisit years ago.
Due to Covid I have not been able to keep up my tradition of a yearly trip to the KOW. I am currently looking for airline tickets in december, but WOW, the prices are sky high at the moment. And that is not the only problem. I need 3 flights to get to Phnom Penh and it used to be 17 to 21 hours in total. Now the cheapest tickets in economy is from 1300 USD and the trip takes 28 to 42 hours. Add in 3 hours of driving at each end of the trip and the whole thing is putting me off. Not the KOW, but the travel to get there.

Cambodia must have one beach worth visiting left? They cannot all be gone down the chinese drain?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic