Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Is Cambodia rushing ahead? Perspective of a tourists first time))

Post by phuketrichard »

if you build it, they will come
from the movie "field of dreams"

as to Vietnam, was just posting what i read, i've never been, but do know thailand gets well over 40% returning
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:08 am if you build it, they will come
from the movie "field of dreams"

as to Vietnam, was just posting what i read, i've never been, but do know thailand gets well over 40% returning
I know where the quote came from, but what are the similarities between Field of Dreams and Cambodia?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

It is actually: If you build it, HE will come....
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Why is he complaining and why does he have to do it here? What does he hope to get out of it? How about going to the Sahara and start complaining about the hot sand? For people who enjoy visiting Cambodia, I would say it offers a pleasant and peaceful alternative to neighboring nations. It's a bit more in the boonies due to its small size and limited access to the sea. People are humble and kind at most as they cherish visitors to help their economy. They have already survived a very difficult period here and want to be part of the international society on an equal footing. If you don't like it, why not come back? Or maybe you just want to come here to complain and put everyone down a bit more? I know some people want to do this all the time. Try Facebook, it's full of numpties over there.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

hanno wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:35 am It is actually: If you build it, HE will come....
LOL, you are correct sir.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

In the OP’s post he doesn’t mention one single thing he was looking to do that he couldn’t and what was more expensive. He does mention in another thread that he was expecting a $30 ST charge but instead was being quoted $50 to $100 for a ST.

I’m all for sharing ones experience on a visit, but the OP’s critiquing in this thread doesn’t have much meat to it, just generalizations and quotes that don’t make much sense.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am
Cambodia is wonderful the first time, and Angkor wat is a must see, Koh Ker, Bang Mela, Preah Vihear, Phnom Pehn, great for a few days, Kampot, Kep, Battamabang, the scenery in Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri
I'm sure you could recall a few other interesting places from your times here if you tried. However I very much doubt the OP has been anywhere too far from 136 street. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am
Cambodia is wonderful the first time, and Angkor wat is a must see, Koh Ker, Bang Mela, Preah Vihear, Phnom Pehn, great for a few days, Kampot, Kep, Battamabang, the scenery in Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri
I'm sure you could recall a few other interesting places from your times here if you tried. However I very much doubt the OP has been anywhere too far from 136 street. 8-)
for sure;
The lake outside Battambang before they paved the road
Outside Pailin ( and Bo Rai in Thailand ) in the late 80's was a wild west town :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:08 am been saying this for years and been slammed because of it

BUT there is absolutely no reason to return>
in 16 years since i first visited the only things that have changed really is; the roads are better, prices have gone up, tuk tuks have evolved, The Toyota highlander has replaced the Camry for long distance travel, a few more bridges, Phnom Pehn has grown by leaps an bounds, (satellite cities, many new condos/high rises .. i have no idea who they are aimed for) and there's many many more malls (in PP) and fancy cars around.
i find Angkor wat not nearly as interesting now, as before they added all the marked paths one must follow (i do understand the reason for them thou). The 1 month it was open at night, was magical

anyway, my $.05 worth.

FYI
Thailand, Vietnam get upwards of 40% return visitors. Doubt Cambodia gets 5% ( except for the Chinese gamblers and money launderers).
You sure spend a hell of a lot of your life on this Cambodian Forum for someone who is so endeared by Thailand.. They have many forums too you know where you could interact with other Thai Fanboys? just sayin what everyones thinking.... :whip: but you know that hey..
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think he has a valid point. Please look at it from his point of view.

He isn’t like a typical expat, staying months or years. He’s a tourist, here for a week (or much, much less). He needs experiences close by and lined up. Most of the experiences are far from each other and require long travel times.

Think about it, if one had 2 days to see all Cambodia (and want to come back for more), where would a tourist go to and want to see? 48 hrs to experience, no more.

These are my opinions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic