Planning to visit Patong next week - is that a no-no now?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Planning to visit Patong next week - is that a no-no now?

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am
However, I am sure I saw only 1%of the island, and probably the worst 1%, and I am sure Richard could name 99 places I would have enjoyed more. He recommended a day driving south to the beaches and that was a much nicer day!
I doubt it, after about 40 years of visits to Cambodia he could only name around five places worth visiting. So I hope you were happy with the beach because that's your lot! :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:27 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am
However, I am sure I saw only 1%of the island, and probably the worst 1%, and I am sure Richard could name 99 places I would have enjoyed more. He recommended a day driving south to the beaches and that was a much nicer day!
I doubt it, after about 40 years of visits to Cambodia he could only name around five places worth visiting. So I hope you were happy with the beach because that's your lot! :lol:
ok; u add where one should go, since ur one in the know
In the last century the only places i visited are not on any maps, just south of Pailin :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Downhill lane on Patong Hill to reopen to cars, small vehicles
PHUKET: The road over Patong Hill will reopen to allow cars, vans, pickups and other “small vehicles” to travel eastbound from Patong to Kathu after a two-hour “trial period” starting today (Nov 4), the Phuket Governor has announced.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/downhill- ... -86110.php
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

Very late update - had no trouble at all getting taxi from airport to Patong, usual route was fine.

Someone said Patong was a rip off and a hideous place, I've been going there regularly for 20 years and love it, so no worries there, horses for courses.

Might go again in a few weeks. Has been taken over by weed shops though, it's f**king everywhere.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

was in Patong Saturday as there is a good weed shop behind Central mall< offer the same price as their on line shop
yep there shops/stalls allover> evens people selling pre rolled joints

bangla, even at noon, had people in the main bars, shops and 7/11's>
tell ya,one would never have any problem finding any kind of food nowadays in Patong, seems just about every country is represented.
personally cant stand the place, crowded, dirty city

Jung celyon sill undergoing a makeup, new malls going up on beach road, shirtless fat fucks wandering the streets, the black french on their big bikes are gone and the beach seems busy>
cant speak for night time as never go in<
it's been slowing down drastically over the past few weeks.
winds have been shifting, but no rain and water trucks are busy....
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

When I went to Patong in 1979 or so we walked over the hill from Nai Harn. There were still mouse deer in the forest then. There were abandoned bungalows on Kata or Karon. Club Med was built there later. That block of land was $20,000 then. Somewhere on the way we found magic mushrooms and got pretty fucked up. Patong only had the bare concrete shell of a multi story building. Abandoned part way through construction.
There were no other buildings. Apparently it’s changed a bit now…
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:03 pm When I went to Patong in 1979 or so we walked over the hill from Nai Harn. There were still mouse deer in the forest then. There were abandoned bungalows on Kata or Karon. Club Med was built there later. That block of land was $20,000 then. Somewhere on the way we found magic mushrooms and got pretty fucked up. Patong only had the bare concrete shell of a multi story building. Abandoned part way through construction.
are you sure" Hell of a walk.....thats around 35 kms via Kata noi/Kata/Karon beach an back than there was NO road between Karon and Patong, just a mud track, walkable only
club med is between Patong and Karon beach

I 1st visited in 83 and Paradise hotel was just being built , other than that nothing over 3 stories

yea, its changed a bit :-)
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:03 pm When I went to Patong in 1979 or so we walked over the hill from Nai Harn. There were still mouse deer in the forest then. There were abandoned bungalows on Kata or Karon. Club Med was built there later. That block of land was $20,000 then. Somewhere on the way we found magic mushrooms and got pretty fucked up. Patong only had the bare concrete shell of a multi story building. Abandoned part way through construction.
Since 1979 ?? Do you know something that didnt change since ??
Look in the mirror for example ??
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

In my 17 years living in Thailand I think I been to Phuket only twice. I had planned to go again this May Day to accompany a friend. Will leave the night of 3rd basically spending 2 nights in Amari Phuket, wonder if its a good hotel. Had just booked a rental car for this trip.

This friend never been to Phuket. Think may be doing the island hopping thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic