Planning to visit Patong next week - is that a no-no now?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Planning to visit Patong next week - is that a no-no now?

Post by John Bingham »

Don't go there. They can't even manage a bit of rain - the country is a messed-up fourth-world hell-hole.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 am Don't go there. They can't even manage a bit of rain - the country is a messed-up fourth-world hell-hole.
:facepalm:
wonder how PP ( or even Kampot where a heavy rain for one day floods the streets) would handle 11 straight days of rain??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Definitely a hell hole... :nono: Do yourself a favour ands explore a better area than Patong, it's a haven for Dip shit tourists & senile expats living in the past.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I liked Patong in the days before Phuket opened up the airport to international flights. Now it's super commercial and touristy imo.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Grand Barong wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 am Definitely a hell hole... :nono: Do yourself a favour ands explore a better area than Patong, it's a haven for Dip shit tourists & senile expats living in the past.
As a recent dipshit tourist (it's ok to be one occasionally), I enjoyed it for the 5 days I was there but was very glad to leave and have no intentions to return.

Annoyance #1 was the endless board-waving hawkers trying to get you into their bar or restaurant. It is constant along Bangla and the beach road around there and gets on your tits as soon as you arrive.

Everywhere else was ok-ish, nothing you can't see in Pattaya or BKK. The palm trees are nice. So is the beach. The most outstanding thing for me was the air conditioning in the room, which was excellent.

The whole place (Patong, not Phuket) was underwhelming, but I have wanted to go for a long time and it's now a box ticked.

However, I am sure I saw only 1%of the island, and probably the worst 1%, and I am sure Richard could name 99 places I would have enjoyed more. He recommended a day driving south to the beaches and that was a much nicer day!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:51 am I liked Patong in the days before Phuket opened up the airport to international flights. Now it's super commercial and touristy imo.
When were u there? i moved to Patong, Phuket in 84 and it was great, moved over to Kamala in 96
yes Patong is commercial& touristy, so what? HK, Singapore, Kathmandu, Bali are all commercial and touristy as well :-)
yet millions travel there for business and tourism
an there is a LOT more to phuket than Patong
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am It is constant along Bangla and the beach road around there and gets on your tits as soon as you arrive.
Soi Bangla is THE MOST touristy 200 meters on the entire island and for 2 years had no business. what did you expect??
would you travel to PP an only stay between riverside and Monivong road and street 172-108? and think you saw PP?

hater's gonna hate, no matter what.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am
Grand Barong wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 am Definitely a hell hole... :nono: Do yourself a favour ands explore a better area than Patong, it's a haven for Dip shit tourists & senile expats living in the past.
As a recent dipshit tourist (it's ok to be one occasionally), I enjoyed it for the 5 days I was there but was very glad to leave and have no intentions to return.

Annoyance #1 was the endless board-waving hawkers trying to get you into their bar or restaurant. It is constant along Bangla and the beach road around there and gets on your tits as soon as you arrive.

Everywhere else was ok-ish, nothing you can't see in Pattaya or BKK. The palm trees are nice. So is the beach. The most outstanding thing for me was the air conditioning in the room, which was excellent.

The whole place (Patong, not Phuket) was underwhelming, but I have wanted to go for a long time and it's now a box ticked.

However, I am sure I saw only 1%of the island, and probably the worst 1%, and I am sure Richard could name 99 places I would have enjoyed more. He recommended a day driving south to the beaches and that was a much nicer day!
i went down to Phuket 10 years ago, spent about 5 days there i think, luckily i was staying in Phuket town, nice little town to be fair, didnt rate Patong/Bangla Road at all, went there one evening lasted a couple of hours then fucked off back to Phuket town and ended up drinking with some girls in the Pink chamois/Lady karaoke bar at the end of the street i was staying on, @phuketrichard might know it
the 2nd night me and a friend talked some motodop driver to drive us to Patong, he got out of town then got a phonecall and had to leave us in the middle of nowhere, we ended up hitch hiking a ride to Patong and had a better night than the previous one, started off in hard rock then found a beerbar doing cockitails for 69baht and 6 tequilas for 100 baht lol rest of the night is a blur, think i ended up in the pink chamouis/lady in Phuket Town again lol
tried out Kata and Karan beaches, they were nice themselves but full of european tourists, felt like i was in spain lol

never had the desire to go back tbh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

We all chose our destinations with a different set of values and intentions. Phuket has its pro and cons like every other place. Heaven in one corner and hell on the next. Its just one of many faces of Thailand. And looking at the number of arrivals in a year a quite popular one. So something must be right about it?

Been there once, toured the island on a motorkbike, not my cup of Thailand. As @Doc67 said just ticked the box and never went back. I usually recommend it only to cash loaded people looking for booze & boobs.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:21 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:51 am I liked Patong in the days before Phuket opened up the airport to international flights. Now it's super commercial and touristy imo.
When were u there? i moved to Patong, Phuket in 84 and it was great, moved over to Kamala in 96
yes Patong is commercial& touristy, so what? HK, Singapore, Kathmandu, Bali are all commercial and touristy as well :-)
Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:13 am It is constant along Bangla and the beach road around there and gets on your tits as soon as you arrive.
Soi Bangla is THE MOST touristy 200 meters on the entire island and for 2 years had no business. what did you expect??
would you travel to PP an only stay between riverside and Monivong road and street 172-108? and think you saw PP?

I'm not a hater, I enjoyed my trip. I thought I was being quite balanced and fair!

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:09 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:21 am

I'm not a hater, I enjoyed my trip. I thought I was being quite balanced and fair!

Yeah tbh knowing you, this was actually a very fair review 🤣
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic