The Kanye Story Continues: Floyd's Family to Sue

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

The Kanye Story Continues: Floyd's Family to Sue

Post by Big Daikon »

The mother of George Floyd’s daughter says she plans to file a $250 million defamation lawsuit against Kanye West for suggesting that Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose, lawyers announced Tuesday.

Roxie Washington plans to file suit on behalf of her and Floyd’s minor daughter Gianna Floyd, accusing West of making the comments “to promote his brands, and increase marketing value and revenue for himself, his business partners and associates,” the Witherspoon Law Group and Dixon & Dixon Attorneys at Law — which are repping the family — said in a statement.
https://nypost.com/2022/10/18/george-fl ... SocialFlow

1. Can you defame a dead person?
2. Is this case total BS?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: The Kanye Story Continues: Floyd's Family to Sue

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 am
The mother of George Floyd’s daughter says she plans to file a $250 million defamation lawsuit against Kanye West for suggesting that Floyd died of a fentanyl overdose, lawyers announced Tuesday.

Roxie Washington plans to file suit on behalf of her and Floyd’s minor daughter Gianna Floyd, accusing West of making the comments “to promote his brands, and increase marketing value and revenue for himself, his business partners and associates,” the Witherspoon Law Group and Dixon & Dixon Attorneys at Law — which are repping the family — said in a statement.

1. I can't be bothered reading up on it but Alex Jones claimed the dead Sandy Hook kids were crisis actors- not sure if that was seen as defaming them but if so they 'might' have a case.

2. I could see the family being pissed at Kanye for saying that, could also see the chance for a big payout motivating them. It's probably a bit of both, I bet some lawyer approached them saying Kanye would likely settle out of court to save the hassle of a court case and they'd get rich.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:14 pm

1. I can't be bothered reading up on it but Alex Jones claimed the dead Sandy Hook kids were crisis actors- not sure if that was seen as defaming them but if so they 'might' have a case.

2. I could see the family being pissed at Kanye for saying that, could also see the chance for a big payout motivating them. It's probably a bit of both, I bet some lawyer approached them saying Kanye would likely settle out of court to save the hassle of a court case and they'd get rich.
Quick research this afternoon.
Under common law and according to the definition of this defamation, deceased individuals cannot be defamed. Defamation is defined as an act or statement that damages one’s reputation. The dead do not have reputations to damage. The memory of a deceased person can be damaged, but this is not addressed under the tort of defamation.
https://www.minclaw.com/legal-resource- ... o%20damage.

Kanye West has made a $2 million donation to support the families of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor, a representative for West told CNN. The donation includes funding for legal fees for Arbery and Taylor’s families, along with black-owned businesses in crisis in his native Chicago and other cities. West’s representative said he established a 529 education plan to fully cover college tuition for Gianna Floyd, the 6-year-old daughter of George Floyd.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/ente ... index.html

(As you said, a lawyer probably suggested the idea.)

3. This Kanye stuff is really bizarre.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:44 pm
Random Dude wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Quick research this afternoon.
Under common law and according to the definition of this defamation, deceased individuals cannot be defamed. Defamation is defined as an act or statement that damages one’s reputation. The dead do not have reputations to damage. The memory of a deceased person can be damaged, but this is not addressed under the tort of defamation.
https://www.minclaw.com/legal-resource- ... o%20damage.

Kanye West has made a $2 million donation to support the families of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor, a representative for West told CNN. The donation includes funding for legal fees for Arbery and Taylor’s families, along with black-owned businesses in crisis in his native Chicago and other cities. West’s representative said he established a 529 education plan to fully cover college tuition for Gianna Floyd, the 6-year-old daughter of George Floyd.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/ente ... index.html

(As you said, a lawyer probably suggested the idea.)

3. This Kanye stuff is really bizarre.
2. A free education for the daughter, it's not 250 million but still a pretty good outcome if the case is BS to begin with.

3. I rarely follow celebrity news, mostly because it's, as you say, bizarre.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:02 pm 3. I rarely follow celebrity news, mostly because it's, as you say, bizarre.
Generally a good move. Ye popped up on my radar recently and the shit show has been hilariously absurd.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

From what I’ve read he’s often an uneducated person with bipolar.

On top of that he genuinely appears to be someone who would end up charged with emotional abuse and coercion in parts of Australia these days.

———-

One of the things I loved about living in Cambodia was this celebrity crap never being on my radar.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

violet wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:26 pm From what I’ve read he’s often an uneducated person with bipolar.
I always thought he was an egotistical moron. Still do, actually.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

That was unmedicated (not uneducated) when internet fingers took action. Bloody autocorrect
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:29 pm
Random Dude wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:02 pm 3. I rarely follow celebrity news, mostly because it's, as you say, bizarre.
Generally a good move. Ye popped up on my radar recently and the shit show has been hilariously absurd.
I'd seen his name in news headlines occasionally but had no idea who he was until there was talk of him running for president, then I heard him on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Rapper, sells 'designer' sports shoes, married to a Kadashian, mental illness, and probably a media attention whore too ... it's a pity he didn't become POTUS, that would have been hilarious.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

He’s just saying why everyone is afraid to say, the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic