The Chamber Pot

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Chamber Pot

Post by David Gordon »

She grew up using one in a traditional Khmer house where leaving her room meant going outside and downstairs.

Trades and truckers have all used a cup or bottle more than once or twice.

Practical.

Could you - would you - on a boat - in a train or on a moat?
Stay classy na
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Chamber Pot

Post by TheImplication »

I have enough trouble with splash back in a toilet, let alone trying to fill a small pot in the dark as I roll out of bed. I suspect if you like piss and fecal matter in near where you sleep, Knock yourself out. At least get a 5-gal bucket.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Sister in law had a chamber pot even when she came to live with us, and the toilet was 3 meters from her room. That was until she fell on it and broke it.

Fucking disgusting.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The last time I encountered a chamber pot was an Italian hotel nearly 20years ago. The rooms were tiny, a small basin, and there as a single bathroom on each floor for all guests.
One becomes accustomed to planning well, and not being too blotto before bed.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Spent the first six years of my life in what was basically slum housing, we had a galvanized bucket in the bedroom at night in case we needed to piss, the alternative was a trek in the pitch dark (in all weathers) to the outside toilet at the end of the back yard.
I wouldn’t do it again, but it didn’t do me any harm.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 am She grew up using one in a traditional Khmer house where leaving her room meant going outside and downstairs.

Trades and truckers have all used a cup or bottle more than once or twice.

Practical.

Could you - would you - on a boat - in a train or on a moat?
I doubt she had her own room. Most traditional Khmer houses have one large room shared with whole family and one or two 'rooms' (often separated by a bamboo fence) functioning a kitchen or storage.

Back on topic, whenever in the sticks I use it.
In the sticks of my wife's family when a delivery has to be done I have the chance to get out of bed, go down the stairs, into the garden, (in case of a large delivery: dig a hole), deliver the package, (in case of large delivery: close the hole, will not get into the cleaning details ...) and return to the house, climb the stairs and get to bed. Or I could use the Chamber Pot inside.
Getting out will wake up quite a few people, I will have to unlock the door. Using the 'bed pan' will be unnoticed.

Add: no, there's no toilet there.

If there's a toilet it's often downstairs a (short) walk away. Nightly walks in the sticks are not much loved by the locals. You could step on some tail, encounter some centipede, walk into a scorpion, or worse: the village lunatic.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ You could also step in someone else's 'delivery' in the darkness.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:11 am ^^^ You could also step in someone else's 'delivery' in the darkness.
Yes, a common beginner's mistake. Luckily, generally it's behind a wooden upright (is that the correct word) so you will only bump into it when drunk, or unfamiliar with the place. And then there's always the screen of your phone showing the way.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I had a slop out pot when I was in prison.
People of the world, spice up your life.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:41 am The last time I encountered a chamber pot was an Italian hotel nearly 20years ago. The rooms were tiny, a small basin, and there as a single bathroom on each floor for all guests.
One becomes accustomed to planning well, and not being too blotto before bed.
Its still popular with old italian houses in the countryside where there is NO bathroom.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic