A question of balance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A question of balance

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 pm Wives and partners get mauled here, period.
No they don't. Nobody I recall has ever said anything derogatory about your wife. Your soppy posts get mauled. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 pm Wives and partners get mauled here, period. Other wives and partners watch them being picked apart and choose wisely not to be victims.

Khmer women are not overtly feisty in English. They don’t like to verbally spar with strangers, especially teachers.

Just imagine if this was a French or German language forum. Person with limited language skills, or just conversational skills. And then gets ripped for poor grammar or not knowing the finer points of the culture. Or just personally attacked.

Just look at the number of lurkers vs. active members..
I don't agree with you when say here that "Wives and partners get mauled here[CEO], period." NKOTB.
I think you might be refering to your own situation, because you have shared a lot of your intimacy with your partner on CEO, and perhaps overshared ? Most members of CEO do not even discuss their partner or private life on the forum. It's a choice you make.

Otherwise, quite a few members here are posting in their second language, and frankly a lot of them put to shame some of our native English speakers, and without these non-native English-speaking posters, CEO would be a lot less interesting.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:55 pm
You could start a threat about too much makeup, or the best place to buy lady products
Is this really what you think women talk about when we get together?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:41 pm
You could start a threat about too much makeup, or the best place to buy lady products
Don't women mostly talk about dick sizes and how stupid men are? If I was a woman that would be my topics.

Maybe throw some tupperware in there lol
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Swap recipes? Lol
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I like CEO as it is..it makes me think about Cambodia and the wunderful experiences I had so far while visiting country & people.

good information available
keeps me up to date with certain topics (visa, general development)
well balanced themes and topics (a little bit of everything)
good mods (not be be confound with censure)
best place to be in contact with other humans that have many different interests in Cambodia

There are countless forums which are dedicated to woman only. Probably preferred by woman to a Cambodian related forum.

There arent also too many woman expats/visitors in Cambodia AFAIK. Probably correlated to the low percentage of CEO female members
work is for people who cant find truffles
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

On topic. I think we're pretty good. You can't go anywhere these days without meeting someone that needs to discuss politics or conspiracies. On here its not too bad even though some threads tend to get a bit derailed at times.

The opposite of total censorship and control over who can say what would probably be more frustrating.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

At a guess, yes.

That, and the extra power produced with twin overhead cams, and the higher speeds V6, 8 and 12 engines can run at with 4 camshafts. And probably the footy?

Those are my opening lines with chicks, anyway?

I never actually married.

Came close once though, but she broke it off before the wedding, saying I never really listen to her.
Or something like that, I wasn't really paying attention.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 pm Khmer women are not overtly feisty in English. They don’t like to verbally spar with strangers, especially teachers.
You clearly never met ex-Mrs Spigz, she'd destroy many a westerner in English and not break a sweat. Current Mrs. Spigz likewise - there will be no "I go work now" crap in my household, Khmer women are absolutely capable of perfect English (far more than I am of perfect Khmer), and you better believe that they will curse just as bad as any Billingsgate fish-wife, and when you expect/need it least!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:07 pm Khmer women are not overtly feisty in English. They don’t like to verbally spar with strangers, especially teachers.
Think again..there are always exceptions..Chara from Kampot for example :angry:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic