weird question but I have my reasons

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

weird question but I have my reasons

Post by Ozinasia »

For those that have been here a lot longer than me.
If Cambo is anything like Philippines and from what I have seen its similar in many ways businesspeople and politicians can be extremely materialistic.
In Philippines when meeting the higher end businesspeople and/or politicians to talk a deal first thing they do if put their cel phone on the table and everyone looks to see how expensive a model the other has.
Similarly, they look to see if you're wearing a high-end branded shirt and watches etc etc.
So, for those that know if you had to pick up a high-end official at the airport and attend a business meeting with several Government officials and wealthy businessmen here what car should one arrive in ?
I have two options a big black Escalade (2017 ish model) or a big black 2018 S400 Mercedes.
Might be a strange question but I cannot pick him up and attend the meeting with a Toyota Carola.
Appreciate constructive thoughts
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: weird question but I have my reasons

Post by atst »

The back of a Honda dream should do
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

If he is such a high end official then anything that is not new is going to be a downgrade in his eyes.. I bet he would really enjoy a ride in a ''oldstyle '' clean tuk-tuk, while you point out to him that the driver is finding it hard to earn money to send his 3 kids to school and that is why you are riding in a tuk-tuk.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Going by my own perception, I would pick the Benz, but I think either one is fine.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Merc, everytime.
Quality and prestige; a diplomats ride.

The Escalade is a vulgar oafmobile; a second rate rapper's ride.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'd take the Escalade, as it is a "higher" car than the Merc which forces a VIP to stoop to get into - the Escalade was a bit of a go to for several Okhnas & their kids a while back, should be fine.

But Doc67 is absolutely right also, I don't disagree with a word he said! :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:41 am If he is such a high end official then anything that is not new is going to be a downgrade in his eyes.. I bet he would really enjoy a ride in a ''oldstyle '' clean tuk-tuk, while you point out to him that the driver is finding it hard to earn money to send his 3 kids to school and that is why you are riding in a tuk-tuk.
yeah but nhhhh wont work would kill my deal right there. :facepalm:
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

:? Appreciate the opinions so far maybe I should have made this post a poll if I knew how ...
I don't have access to a brand new car of either and did look at rentals but the rate they are asking is beyond belief, so its gonna be one of the other being in my 60's myself I am a Merc man but my son in his mid 20's says day get with it the Escalade is the go ... for me it looks like a drug cartel vehicle :?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

If you're on the fence, go with whichever car is worth more.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ozinasia wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:18 am So, for those that know if you had to pick up a high-end official at the airport and attend a business meeting with several Government officials and wealthy businessmen here what car should one arrive in ?
What type of car does everyone else use? If their vehicle of choice is a big SUV, then the cleanest, shiniest, well appointed SUV in your arsenal seems the way to go. Is it to impress your contact, or the people he’s meeting?

The ostentatious display of wealth and strength is quite common in many regions, and Asia is well represented in this. I’ve had dealings with an interesting cross section of ‘customers’ during my career, and a few common habits stood out about vehicle choice-

A particular important principal (and the owner of our aircraft) frequently arrived at the aircraft in no less than 3 big black SUVs- a Merc and a couple of Range Rovers, when there was some impressing to do. He was the multi-millionaire and simultaneously a small fish in a very affluent and influential pond. His guest and himself would be in the Middle vehicle. Like something straight out of a Russian gangster movie.
When the same fella was travelling with just his family, just one SUV would do- the Merc.
Always, the driver and assistant wore crisp dark suits, and while not quite standing at attention, they would appear nearly so.

In a previous job to that, several famous folks were customers and a wide choice of vehicles would turn up.
It was interesting to see a similar ostentatious display result in the doors of a modest size limo open up, only to find the family all squeezed in together. (Supermodel, rather chavvy, and her pretentious parents)

Similar limo, doors open- inside is a rock band, all having a good time. The limo was just a convenient tool for them all to travel together in a continuation of the party,

Famous-ish film director- his personal huge but old Rolls Royce, and a loud attitude. The car was quite rough on close inspection (polished turd is how his own driver described it), and nearly the same size as the aircraft he’d rented.
By contrast, several well known personalities carried themselves very differently.

ps. I’d personally go with the Merc, too. It just depends who the audience is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic