Berkeley Int. School, Phnom Penh - any info?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Berkeley Int. School, Phnom Penh - any info?

Post by simon43 »

I've been sitting around in Thailand for some weeks now, being unable to get back to my teaching job in Myanmar because the junta guys have suspended the issue of business visas. So I can't enter the country!

The new school term starts next Monday and my employer knows that I will not teach online for them (because their online pay rate is much less than what I currently receive for my private student online teaching). The outcome of this is that unless the junta suddenly issue the visa (99% unlikely), I will cease employment with my school in Myanmar.

I do have 4 other job offers from schools in Myanmar, but they are also 'stuffed' by the visa situation.

So I just looked around for other job opportunities outside of Myanmar. I prefer not to work in Thailand because it messes up my 'retirement' visa (I have to change it to a business visa).

Berkeley Int. School is urgently looking for an iGCSE Physics teacher, (which I am). I have an online interview with them next Monday and would like to ask if anyone has experience or knowledge (good and bad) about this school.

Thanks - Simon
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Berkeley Int. School, Phnom Penh - any info?

Post by Josideb »

Dont bother. Not a great environment to work in. Staff turnover is very high from top to bottom.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

ahh Berkeley.. or to use its previous name "ELT".
Owned by Madam Chea Neang Eng, it was one of the big players over 10 years ago but now ... not so much. Yes they did get Cambridge approval although that was based on certain condidtions being met but seriously...do a quick search for ELT and see what the forum spits out :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

This fine establishment of higher education couldn't even come up with an inspiring name, but chose to rip off the name of a well-known U.S. university. I don't really need to know more about them.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Ah, ELT. I did a quick post search and I haven't found any posts yet that sing their praises, but plenty that do the opposite. Has anyone have good things to say about this school?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Well, I had my Zoom interview and all seemed to go well. I did check the old posts about ELT, and I do need to check for other reviews (if they exist).

No news yet from Myanmar - the school had to postpone the start of its new term because so many teachers are 'stuck' in Thailand.

Now to add to the party, an international school in Thailand is keen for me to join them as a primary science teacher. Choices, choices. (Or I could just continue what I'm doing right now - teaching online - and get a similar or higher income than what is offered by these B&M schools I get more time sitting on the beach as well!).
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

simon43 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:43 pm ...Or I could just continue what I'm doing right now - teaching online - and get a similar or higher income than what is offered by these B&M schools I get more time sitting on the beach as well!
Well I think you answered that question yourself! 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

simon43 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:43 pm Well, I had my Zoom interview and all seemed to go well. I did check the old posts about ELT, and I do need to check for other reviews (if they exist).

No news yet from Myanmar - the school had to postpone the start of its new term because so many teachers are 'stuck' in Thailand.

Now to add to the party, an international school in Thailand is keen for me to join them as a primary science teacher. Choices, choices. (Or I could just continue what I'm doing right now - teaching online - and get a similar or higher income than what is offered by these B&M schools I get more time sitting on the beach as well!).
Have you managed to work out yet how to successfully negotiate and enjoy a stress free coconut and a deck chair in Thailand.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:42 pm
simon43 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:43 pm ...Or I could just continue what I'm doing right now - teaching online - and get a similar or higher income than what is offered by these B&M schools I get more time sitting on the beach as well!
Well I think you answered that question yourself! 8-)
Not really. Using a computer for so many hours each day is not healthy for one's eyesight. By splitting my time between online and in-class teaching, I have a chance to rest my eyes AND my total monthly income will increase by about 30%. The money is not the main motivator - it's concern for my eyes really :)
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:36 am
simon43 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:43 pm Well, I had my Zoom interview and all seemed to go well. I did check the old posts about ELT, and I do need to check for other reviews (if they exist).

Have you managed to work out yet how to successfully negotiate and enjoy a stress free coconut and a deck chair in Thailand.
Yes! Well, I worked out how not to get stressed by that situation. I don't buy any more coconuts and I don't rent their deckchairs :)

Anyway, after careful thought, I politely declined their job offer. The salary on offer was lower than my other offers, but the main reason for declining their offer was because I could not for the life of me find a single good review or good comment about this school or ELT. I understand that people are more likely to post if they are unhappy, but I was hoping to find at least 1 or 2 good reviews. But nope, nothing at all, and that's important because I would need to relocate from Thailand to take up this new position.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic