Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Post by xandreu »

Desperate search as death toll rises in Kandal ferry disaster

Authorities have reported that at least 8 young students have died after a ferry sunk in Kandal Province last night – and 4 more are still missing.

According to the report of the Kandal Provincial Police, as of 9:00 am on the 14th of October, out of at least 15 people missing, law enforcement forces have found the bodies of 8 students, with 4 students being found alive.

The ferry sank at Kampong Dor Toteung, whilst crossing from Ampil Teuk village to Koh Chamroeun village, Kampong Phnom commune, Leuk Dek district, Kandal province late last night.

Rescuers have searched the river all night in an attempt to find more of the students, but it is feared that more may be found dead.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501168570/ ... -disaster/
___

What a terrible, terrible tragedy. Where were the life vests?

RIP and condolences to all those involved.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Post by mannanman »

"He stated that rising water levels due to heavy rains had caused the disaster"
How does high water cause a ferry to sink? I guess it might have hit a submerged tree or something.

Basic swimming lessons should be taught in school but I fear that is a long way off. Many Cambodians have a fear of water, and rightly so.

RIP.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

According to a teacher friend of mine, the small ferry was overloaded. No-one knows for sure how many students were aboard but estimated to be 15-20, about 12-15 years old. There were apparently no life jackets on the boat whatsoever. There is rising anger as to how this easily preventable tragedy could have happened.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:07 am According to a teacher friend of mine, the small ferry was overloaded. No-one knows for sure how many students were aboard but estimated to be 15-20, about 12-15 years old. There were apparently no life jackets on the boat whatsoever. There is rising anger as to how this easily preventable tragedy could have happened.
Pretty sure no ferries in Cambodia have life jackets or any form of governance. The Chroy Changvar ferries do not even have any barrier or chain!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Horrible news. RIP.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Bloody hell.
RIP
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Many moons ago, "Snow" (former expat [RIP]) used to live over at Chroy Changvar and catch the ferry across the Tonle Sap to go to work each day. He would always carry an empty 5 liter plastic container with him. When I asked about the plastic container, he told me it was because the ferries had no life jackets and if there was an accident he would have his container of air to keep him afloat.
Mister Nice Guy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mister Nice Guy »

Sounds like something hinky happened.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Ironic that most of those searching for the bodies are wearing life jackets.

As much as I love living here, sometimes, I'm sorry to say this, but I'm left in absolute despair at Khmer society. How much is a life jacket? How much is a life? Especially a child's life?

Such simple, basic, cheap and easy to implement measures like ensuring everyone is wearing a life jacket could have saved the lives of many innocent kids who were simply going home from school. It's disgusting, and I hope there is enough anger that the person/people responsible are properly held to account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I remember in Sihanoukville about 7 young kids all died in the pond, after their play boat capsized, near Independence. They were only 5 feet or so from the land.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic