Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:17 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:07 am
wrote: Sorry way of topic but it's not just s.e.a
You're not wrong. The thing with safety regulations is that sometimes they're just not very practical. Maybe that ferry started out with life jackets back in the day but passengers stole them all in the first month or something.
Just as likely, that ferry wasn’t even a proper ferry designed for the purpose, or if a genuine ferry, one maintained and operated within its designed limits.

Indonesia has had a terrible reputation with ferry’s, and all too often they were operated outside of their capacity.

Supposedly, this is a ferry being used to transport the coffin of one of the deceased.
Lessons learned?
What’s the betting that the guy in the life vest is crew on the ferry?
Looking at that picture of such a low sided tub, it is easy to see how quickly things can unravel when you re-read the initial reports:

The police chief in Kandal’s Leuk Daek district, Am Thou, said the accident occurred as the boat was approaching the shore. It took on water in the bow, and the students were instructed to move to seats in the middle or stern of the boat. However, as they walked back, the boat became unbalanced and turned over.

Once the bow has become flooded, and they panic and rush to the stern, that too could become submerged as the weight shift is so sudden and whatever buoyancy at the stern was overwhelmed. Once this chain of events is set in motion the thing probably capsized within 10 seconds.

Some reasonably watertight sidings could avoid taking on a lot of water because of a sudden drop below the water level. Not ideal but it might just stop the chain of events getting out of control.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:51 pm Safety measures are hugely inconvenient, from a whole range of points of view, and are ultimately useless if people ignore them.

If the maximum seating capacity were 20 people, and you load on 25 people, all standing up, plus a motorcycle or two, and some heavy boxes, then everything that comes after is unpredictable, even if it’s the cultural norm.

People don’t wear helmets on Bikes. They’re only going to the market, 2 minutes away.
The 12-15seat ‘taxi’ with a motorbike hanging off the back, a spare engine block and bags of rice under passengers feet.

You’ve got no chance getting everyone to wear life jackets. But if there were just a dozen life buoy rings and competent staff trained with some basic safety training, and being legally accountable, it would be ignored within days unless there were a culture, from a regulation point of view. That starts with the authorities. The ones often referred to in press articles as ‘competent’.
It all comes down to individual operators and the level of risk they are used to/comfortable with

I have traveled several times using one company to the islands off siahnoukville and one of them ensures that each and every soul is wearing a lifejacket

Another company provides the life jacket conspicuously on the back of each seat but wearing it isn't mandated

Similarly tour boats that we can hire in PP; one or two insist on life jackets, most do not

I have used a fair few ferries here also - seem to recall a few life rings but no life jackets

This is a tragic incident but totally unsurprising
That inconsistency only demonstrates the lack of regulation and authority- safety is entirely random based on the mindset of the operators involved. It’s not just big corporations that put profit ahead of safety.
I’m not a big fan of over-regulation. Sometimes, it feels like battling against diminishing returns. But without some basic measures, universally applied, it’s all tragically random for no good reason.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:21 pm Looking at that picture of such a low sided tub, it is easy to see how quickly things can unravel when you re-read the initial reports:

The police chief in Kandal’s Leuk Daek district, Am Thou, said the accident occurred as the boat was approaching the shore. It took on water in the bow, and the students were instructed to move to seats in the middle or stern of the boat. However, as they walked back, the boat became unbalanced and turned over.

Once the bow has become flooded, and they panic and rush to the stern, that too could become submerged as the weight shift is so sudden and whatever buoyancy at the stern was overwhelmed. Once this chain of events is set in motion the thing probably capsized within 10 seconds.

Some reasonably watertight sidings could avoid taking on a lot of water because of a sudden drop below the water level. Not ideal but it might just stop the chain of events getting out of control.
Definitely. Try walking across a room with a shallow tray full of water, without spilling any. It surges. The surge makes it uncontrollable. Surge of people or water, it becomes irrelevant at some point, because the whole situation quickly goes out of control.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:26 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:51 pm Safety measures are hugely inconvenient, from a whole range of points of view, and are ultimately useless if people ignore them.

If the maximum seating capacity were 20 people, and you load on 25 people, all standing up, plus a motorcycle or two, and some heavy boxes, then everything that comes after is unpredictable, even if it’s the cultural norm.

People don’t wear helmets on Bikes. They’re only going to the market, 2 minutes away.
The 12-15seat ‘taxi’ with a motorbike hanging off the back, a spare engine block and bags of rice under passengers feet.

You’ve got no chance getting everyone to wear life jackets. But if there were just a dozen life buoy rings and competent staff trained with some basic safety training, and being legally accountable, it would be ignored within days unless there were a culture, from a regulation point of view. That starts with the authorities. The ones often referred to in press articles as ‘competent’.
It all comes down to individual operators and the level of risk they are used to/comfortable with

I have traveled several times using one company to the islands off siahnoukville and one of them ensures that each and every soul is wearing a lifejacket

Another company provides the life jacket conspicuously on the back of each seat but wearing it isn't mandated

Similarly tour boats that we can hire in PP; one or two insist on life jackets, most do not

I have used a fair few ferries here also - seem to recall a few life rings but no life jackets

That inconsistency only demonstrates the lack of regulation and authority- safety is entirely random based on the mindset of the operators involved. It’s not just big corporations that put profit ahead of safety.
I’m not a big fan of over-regulation. Sometimes, it feels like battling against diminishing returns. But without some basic measures, universally applied, it’s all tragically random for no good reason.
The only place in Cambodia that every passenger must have a life jacket available is on Cambodian Airways, which ironically is the last place they will ever be useful.

I went on a boat from SNK to Koh Rong, it had a shelf full of life jackets. After 5 minutes on that rollercoaster I put one on and everyone looked at me like I was a nutter. The way I saw it, if you need one then it will be too late to get one, either having been thrown clear of the upturned boat, or with the boat on top of you.

For those that know me, yes, I did manage to do up the straps - just! :oops:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm from a "western" island nation myself, and life jackets are not mandated on ferries there either

I can't think of one in Europe where life jacket wearing is mandatory either.

Rafts would be onboard though, maybe not enough for everybody but could carry a decent percentage if they had time to deploy and board them
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:37 pm

I'm from a "western" island nation myself, and life jackets are not mandated on ferries there either

I can't think of one in Europe where life jacket wearing is mandatory either.

Rafts would be onboard though, maybe not enough for everybody but could carry a decent percentage if they had time to deploy and board them
I'm from an island nation too. I've never seen anyone wearing a life jacket on a ferry, but there are plenty easily available with signs everywhere telling you where they are and I'm sure if there was any risk of danger they'd make sure everyone was wearing one.

A ferry is generally huge though, not likely to get swamped by a wave or tip over if people move to one side suddenly, on smaller boats I'm pretty sure life jackets are mandatory and if you don't follow the rules you'd lose your license to operate the business.

People bitch about an over-regulated nanny state making running a business difficult (and expensive), there's no real room for common sense anymore, but you don't have a lot of incidents like this one. Too bad there's not a happy middle ground somewhere.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident
A few, simple consistent measures would be all that is required.
Maybe these events aren’t frequent enough to get people’s attention. But a single tragedy might. The Titanic didn’t happen too often before SOLAS regulations gathered pace.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:32 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:21 pm Looking at that picture of such a low sided tub, it is easy to see how quickly things can unravel when you re-read the initial reports:

Definitely. Try walking across a room with a shallow tray full of water, without spilling any. It surges. The surge makes it uncontrollable. Surge of people or water, it becomes irrelevant at some point, because the whole situation quickly goes out of control.
Exactly, once the bow has dipped and the boat has shipped a good scoop of water, that water then surges around in the bottom of the boat, which then becomes unstable, rolling from side to side, and too many passengers aboard, shifting around trying to counteract the rolling, will actually make it worse.
An already overloaded, low sided vessel, does not need a huge amount of water aboard before it will dip its side and sink under it’s passengers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 15 October 2022, Kandal police announced the three people in Koh Chamroeun village, Kampong Phnom commune were arrested in connection with the boat sinking that left 11 school children dead on the night of 13 October 2022.

The three suspects who were detained by the authorities on 14 October 2022 are the ferry boat owners, Chheng Vanna and Chheng Srey Neang, and the 15-year-old male boat driver, Thet Chanthy, who is currently being treated at the hospital.
The search and rescue operation for the victims of the boat accident lasted for 2 nights and 3 days between 13 October to 15 October 2022.
Out of the 15 people on the ferry, 4 were found alive and 11 were found dead . Those rescued were:
1-15 years old Thet Kunthy, Boat driver
2- 23 years old Vanny Ratha Boat driver
3- 12 years old Vy Chanbora, Student
4- 14 years old, Sot Reaksa, Student

The 11 victims who died from drowning found were:
1- 14 years old Chan Sokchim,
2- 12 years old Phearum Davin,
3- 13 years old Chenda Julie
4- 14 years old Phat Sokheng,
5- 14 years old Pat Tina
6- 14 years old Pheak Pheanun
7- 13 years old Udom Mony
8-13 years old Son Sophat
9- 12 years old Sovath Sakina, Female,
10-12 years old Ry Srey Lin
11- 13 years old Meas Sovanreach
RIP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »