Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Post by truffledog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm Oh wow. Those poor people.
I haven't seen any images myself, but I can imagine the possibilities for bad taste scoops by "ambulance chasing journalists" on local media.
Maybe such horrible pictures would speed up introducing measures that prevent it from happening again? Kind of shock therapy?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

truffledog wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:02 pm
I haven't seen any images myself, but I can imagine the possibilities for bad taste scoops by "ambulance chasing journalists" on local media.
Maybe such horrible pictures would speed up introducing measures that prevent it from happening again? Kind of shock therapy?
You'd hope so but I suspect any measures introduced would only be temporary, people have short memories.

I lived in a city where, in the time I was there, I remember two big fires that killed a lot of people, I'm certain they wouldn't have been the only two though, there would have more before that and probably since. Both were in buildings with markets chock full of people and it being Asia any fire safety regulations that did exist were disregarded. No working sprinklers or smoke alarms, emergency exits chained shut, etc so both times, when the fires started the inevitable happened and people were trapped inside an obvious death trap.

Both times there was a huge outcry, people demanded answers and officials got tough on fire regulations in public places but after a couple of months, it was like nothing had ever happened. You'd see doors in crowded buildings chained shut again, people openly smoking in no-smoking areas, everything electrical was probably still just as dodgy and it's probably just a matter of time before it happens again.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Your reply reminded me of our safety inspections in our office back in Australia, all reg followed next day back to normal all safety procedure forgotten. Your a non team player and trouble maker when you point this out to management.
Sorry way of topic but it's not just s.e.a
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

[quote=
[/quote]

You're not wrong. The thing with safety regulations is that sometimes they're just not very practical. Maybe that ferry started out with life jackets back in the day but passengers stole them all in the first month or something.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Don't Share Boat Tragedy Images: UNICEF
By Torn Chanritheara October 14, 2022 3:54 PM

PHNOM PENH – UNICEF in Cambodia has urged the public to refrain from sharing graphic pictures or videos after ten students died when their overloaded boat capsized in Kandal province.

The victims, aged between 13 and 14, were returning home after studies in the early evening of Oct. 13. The boat, with 15 people aboard, sank in the Mekong river at Koh Chamroeun village of Kampong Phnom commune.

Ten were confirmed dead. Four survivors, including the two crew members, have been found and rescuers are searching for the last remaining student.

Photos and videos of those who perished and of the scene in Leuk dek district were widely shared on social media. Videos, apparently containing interviews of survivors, were also disseminated.

“We ask that members of the public refrain from posting or forwarding images and videos showing this unfortunate incident, as this may further negatively impact children, victims' families, and their loved ones,” UNICEF in Cambodia wrote on its Facebook page.

The agency said it was saddened and shocked by the loss of children’s lives in the disaster, sending heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to the families who lost loved ones and those whose children were missing.

Leuk Dek police chief Am Thou said that before the incident, the students were on the front of the boat. The operator asked them to move to the back when water splashed into the boat.
“They might have panicked and the boat sank,” Thou said.

Kandal Provincial Police blamed overcrowding and said there were no life jackets aboard.
https://cambodianess.com/article/dont-s ... ges-unicef
The shift to victim blaming has begun.

Also, what is UNICEF doing trying to cover up the images? People should see what happens when 15 year old kids operate junk boats while transporting kids that can't swim across a swollen and turbulent river. Perhaps UNICEF would like to dedicate some of their $26 Billion budget for safety equipment on these boats, or swimming lessons for kids or a campaign to prosecute the owners of the boat.

https://www.unicef.org/executiveboard/d ... 5-SRS-2021
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:07 am [quote=
You're not wrong. The thing with safety regulations is that sometimes they're just not very practical. Maybe that ferry started out with life jackets back in the day but passengers stole them all in the first month or something.
[/quote]

Lol
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Many students dead and missing after ferry sinking

Post by Freightdog »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:07 am
wrote: Sorry way of topic but it's not just s.e.a
Just as likely, that ferry wasn’t even a proper ferry designed for the purpose, or if a genuine ferry, one maintained and operated within its designed limits.

Indonesia has had a terrible reputation with ferry’s, and all too often they were operated outside of their capacity.

Supposedly, this is a ferry being used to transport the coffin of one of the deceased.
Lessons learned?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:17 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:07 am
wrote: Sorry way of topic but it's not just s.e.a
Just as likely, that ferry wasn’t even a proper ferry designed for the purpose, or if a genuine ferry, one maintained and operated within its designed limits.

Indonesia has had a terrible reputation with ferry’s, and all too often they were operated outside of their capacity.

Supposedly, this is a ferry being used to transport the coffin of one of the deceased.
Lessons learned?
What’s the betting that the guy in the life vest is crew on the ferry?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Safety measures are hugely inconvenient, from a whole range of points of view, and are ultimately useless if people ignore them.

If the maximum seating capacity were 20 people, and you load on 25 people, all standing up, plus a motorcycle or two, and some heavy boxes, then everything that comes after is unpredictable, even if it’s the cultural norm.

People don’t wear helmets on Bikes. They’re only going to the market, 2 minutes away.
The 12-15seat ‘taxi’ with a motorbike hanging off the back, a spare engine block and bags of rice under passengers feet.

You’ve got no chance getting everyone to wear life jackets. But if there were just a dozen life buoy rings and competent staff trained with some basic safety training, and being legally accountable, it would be ignored within days unless there were a culture, from a regulation point of view. That starts with the authorities. The ones often referred to in press articles as ‘competent’.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:51 pm Safety measures are hugely inconvenient, from a whole range of points of view, and are ultimately useless if people ignore them.

If the maximum seating capacity were 20 people, and you load on 25 people, all standing up, plus a motorcycle or two, and some heavy boxes, then everything that comes after is unpredictable, even if it’s the cultural norm.

People don’t wear helmets on Bikes. They’re only going to the market, 2 minutes away.
The 12-15seat ‘taxi’ with a motorbike hanging off the back, a spare engine block and bags of rice under passengers feet.

You’ve got no chance getting everyone to wear life jackets. But if there were just a dozen life buoy rings and competent staff trained with some basic safety training, and being legally accountable, it would be ignored within days unless there were a culture, from a regulation point of view. That starts with the authorities. The ones often referred to in press articles as ‘competent’.
It all comes down to individual operators and the level of risk they are used to/comfortable with

I have traveled several times using one company to the islands off siahnoukville and one of them ensures that each and every soul is wearing a lifejacket

Another company provides the life jacket conspicuously on the back of each seat but wearing it isn't mandated

Similarly tour boats that we can hire in PP; one or two insist on life jackets, most do not

I have used a fair few ferries here also - seem to recall a few life rings but no life jackets

This is a tragic incident but totally unsurprising
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic