I finally bought the ticket

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DannyP21
Tourist
United States of America

I finally bought the ticket

Post by DannyP21 »

Hello everyone as of a few hours ago I finally bought a ticket to Phnom Penh after wanting to come to Cambodia for 4 years. No ex gf changing their minds, no covid, no excuses. I have a few questions that I would like to have answered. I have done a good amount of homework over the years but figured you guys would be the best bet.

1. Arrival documents: I know passport and vaccination documents. Do they accept the QR code from CVS? Do I need anything else? Delta had something on their site about having insurance from Cambodia is this still a thing if so who is the best and cheapest?

2. I work in IT remotely. I have not mentioned to my work that I am heading to PP and fully willing to accept that my computer may not work. My boss has stated previously that they don’t have trackers in the laptops and we have to sign into a firewall to work. Does anyone know of an additional way to ensure my work can’t see that I am in PP? I am willing to become a teacher and am working on my Tesol as a back up. My plan is to teach if IT doesn’t work.

3. When I arrive what is the best Visa to get? I know that I am suppose to do E Visa business but what is the fine print with it? How long will I have to actually find a job and what is the cost? This one of the things I am worried about most. Any other good information to know before hand?

4. How long should I rent out a guest house to look for an apartment and where is the best place to go? I have heard about mad monkey but I am a bit older(32) and not sure if I am really trying to party like that. I will be stressed and really just want to find a place to sleep for a few nights while I find a place.

5. I have already signed up for smart on esim. Once I land do I need to just switch it over to primary and be good to go? What apps do people recommend to make life as easy as possible for those first like 72 hours.

6. Best advice or things you wish you knew before you arrived?

Thank you!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I finally bought the ticket

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello mate

I'm sure you'll get loads of help re all of this - and relax - we've all been there and we've all managed it.

Make sure you have a couple of passport sized photos for your visa on arrival - that's all you need to worry about at that stage - and 5 x $10 notes (I can't remember the exact amount - that will cover it)

My Mrs is asking me to go to bed, I'm sure by morning people will better info and knowledge than me will have helped, but I'll pop back tomorrow and see if there's anything I can add.

I've lived here over 5 years - best decision I ever made. it's far from perfect, thankfully.

Best wishes.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

For apps, grab /Tada good for tuktuk and taxis

Visa get an E, then can extend by a minimum of 3 months (looking for work) but more likely 12 months EB extension, which the agent should sort out for you

Don’t think you need any docs for land anymore, but someone else can confirm

For your job, not sure. Though the time difference would surely be a killer

Get a guesthouse for at least a week, will give you time to choose the area you want to live , then narrow down after that. No need to rush into it.

Check the real estate sites before you get here to see the renting ballpark, should be able to pick up a little cheaper than that but is a good guide
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It’ll probably flag up to the IT lot when you log on to the firewall, unless you use a VPN but that (depending on which one) might be blocked.

Unless you’re from Oz the time differences will suck!
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DannyP21 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:09 am 2. I work in IT remotely. I have not mentioned to my work that I am heading to PP and fully willing to accept that my computer may not work. My boss has stated previously that they don’t have trackers in the laptops and we have to sign into a firewall to work. Does anyone know of an additional way to ensure my work can’t see that I am in PP? I am willing to become a teacher and am working on my Tesol as a back up. My plan is to teach if IT doesn’t work.
Cambodia uses a central portal for all data traffic. I am not sure your employer(s) would like your work / communication to pass through that portal non-encrypted. If I were you I would start using a good VPN, maybe even arrange your own VPN server back home, and start using it asap, not just when you've arrived in Cambodia. It will spoof your location, encrypt all your data and if you start using it tomorrow it will raise questions while you're still there (if it raises questions).
DannyP21 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:09 am 3. When I arrive what is the best Visa to get? I know that I am suppose to do E Visa business but what is the fine print with it? How long will I have to actually find a job and what is the cost? This one of the things I am worried about most. Any other good information to know before hand?
Get an ordinary visa on arrival (E-type), and keep an eye on the news. The Department of Immigration have just announced the rules for visa extensions will be tightened again. Time will tell if it will affect you. Keep an eye on this forum.
Don't confuse the E-visa (ordinary visa) with the e-visa, which is an electronic tourist visa with less possibilities.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

. I work in IT remotely. I have not mentioned to my work that I am heading to PP and fully willing to accept that my computer may not work. My boss has stated previously that they don’t have trackers in the laptops and we have to sign into a firewall to work.
Of course ur computer will work BUT ur ip address will be Cambodia UNLESS u use a vpn but still it wont be the same ip that u had when u were back home>
what happens when someone calls u ?
I am willing to become a teacher,
fuck no; teaching is not something to fall back on, its a disservice to the kids you would be teaching.
3. When I arrive what is the best Visa to get?
Ordinary ( business visa ) $35 30 days BUT NOT new changes Oct 17th, post565606.html#p565606
4. How long should I rent out a guest house to look for an apartment
night by night
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Just to state the obvious, when you connect to your company's "firewall" (I guess you mean VPN) from a Cambodian IP address, they can and probably will log that - without any need to have any kind of tracking on your computer.

You could avoid that, but what if you fall off a motorbike in Phnom Penh and end up in hospital? I don't think it's a good idea to be deceptive about your location.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

another obvious
you state, "they don’t have trackers in the laptops"
so ur "taking " their laptop away? something they might take very serious, if they find out and they will

PLUS how do u even know, you can connect to their firewall from outside the country??
my daughter works in Ca for a company remotely same as you with Their laptop and firewall, she asked them if she could go visit me and her thai family in thailand an still work, they said NO

My advice ... dont do it or at the least ask them
and Please dont teach if ur not a teacher, its just wrong on so many levels, teaching is not just a way to make $$$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

All COVID related entry requirements and restrictions have been removed, the country is open to all. Ensure that you check and meet the requirements of the Airlines you are flying with and any transit destinations though.

If you are only coming for up to 2 months, then a T-type (Tourist) Visa is sufficient. $30 on arrival, valid for 1 month, can apply for 1x 30 day Extension of Stay.

Passport pictures are NOT required for Visa on Arrival, but are required for Visa Extension of Stay applications.

If you wish to stay long term, work, retire, study, etc...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month. (Note: this Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa)

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General - seeking employment/business opportunities) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time for EOS applications, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic