Want to fire staff - how to do it right?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Want to fire staff - how to do it right?

Post by Kenr »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:24 pm
ressl wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:13 pm One thing I want to ask Kenr: What do you mean by "They are contract employees, not career/regular employees. When their contract ends their employment ends, unless extended". Afaik all staffs contract here is not time based
You are correct. They are all on contracts.
Kenr doesn't live here, and possibly has never been here, so he has no idea. :facepalm:
And you are correct, I do not live there, not until next month. But in your previous post, you are the one who commented about a six month extension after your contract ended, so how can you say now that “all”contracts are not time based?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It might be worth considering that employment laws in different countries are very different, and phraseology can be misapplied so very easily. Even within Europe, adjacent countries have very different labour laws, all under the pretence of being one Europe.

There are at least 4 distinct nationalities involved in this topic, and from recent experience 3 of those use similar terms to mean different things.
In the US, firing seems to refer to any manner of ending a person’s employment, while in other countries it relates more to misconduct.
The word fired can be so very easily misinterpreted, and carry the wrong connotations.

Time based contracts seems to equate to ‘fixed term’ contracts, while most employees have a contract of employment, but are not contractors which are, or can be, a separate consideration again. So a non-time based contract would(or could) be one which, unless another factor interferes, would potentially continue through to mandatory retirement. A very good reason to be quite clear and concise about what is being referred to, and how, and the terms being used. As already alluded to by UT.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The number of nationalities involved in this topic is totally irrelevant to the OPs question!

The question is about CAMBODIAN Labor Law.
References to US laws is just derailing a thread for the sake of making a post.

I already posted a link to a copy of the CAMBODIAN Labor Law. Do I have to read it for you as well?
Read it. You will find that it mentions 'fixed term contracts' and 'non-fixed term contracts'.

In my first post on this thread I wrote about two separate personal experiences with regard to the Cambodian Labor Law.
Here read this while you drink your morning coffee >> https://www.ilo.org/dyn/travail/docs/701/labour <<
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I can only assume someone is talking about me, but two make it clear I never mentioned US labor laws. In fact I specifically stated in my last sentence that it depended on that countries labor laws. And by the way, when it comes to independent contractors, it seems that the US and Cambodia are similar.
NotYourUncle
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by NotYourUncle »

My lord... Some of you people need your thumbs taking away.
pronouns- it/that
as quite obviously, I identify as a f***ing watermelon
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

ressl wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:54 am First time I have to quit one ordinary, so I am a bit clueless. It is no on the spot firing, just ordinary ending him his contract. I am sure that there are rules and regulations and I can not just say: Your contract ends tomorrow, pack your stuff, goodbye...
Anyone any idea?
1 month compensation for every year employed on top of salaried due, (as per labour law) plus severance letter
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic