Sihanoukville to Pattaya

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Sihanoukville to Pattaya

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anyone done this route before? ive done the journey to bangkok loads of times, but that goes via PP-BB/SR-PP border-BK, and takes an awful long time
id rather do the koh kong/trat route, any experiences doing this route?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Sihanoukville to Pattaya

Post by juansweetpotato »

Yep, it is an easy route compared to Poipet. I did that once and once only. Never again if I can help it. You can get the train over the border though, but still the grueling bus journey on the Cambodian side. I did it in 2007 so a bit different now I expect. The bus was detouring away from fires in ditches in case of landmines.
Done the SNVL to Trat to BKK route a few times. I always prefer to break the journey up if I'm going to BKK. Trat used to be a lovely little town, changing fast now. Still got a good market where you can buy nice local food. My advice would be to buy a direct bus ticket straight through to Pataya. It will save you the hastle and expense getting from KK town to the border, across, and onto another bus. I've done that before and it's not so bad either. 2 mini buses in stages take you on the hour or so long trip to Trat bus station.Then you pay about 10 baht in a shared pick up into Trat town. Not sure about mini buses to Pataya. As I say, I would def book the whole journey by bus straight through now. Virak Buntham do the direct trips.
Can only find the PP timings:

I would check on the timings as I got the image of the net. Office downtown on Ekreach St unless they moved it .
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I would fly from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, if going to Pattaya from Snooky.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

My record time driving to Pattaya (border included) is less than 6 hours (thx to a few racing thai drivers I must say). Regularly done it in 7 to 8 hours. Driving yourself beat the plane hands down on time, money, comfort...
Doing the same route with friends in a few weeks by mean of hired mini vans as the bus solution is way too long IMO.
JackRoad
Expatriate

Post by JackRoad »

I did this not that long ago with 2 friends, with a few days stop over on Koh Chang, then we caught a mini bus direct from the guest house to Pattaya. As far as driving goes it is way better then going through Poipet IMHO. In fact I preferred the drive to the destination. Only stayed in Pattaya for 2 days and went to BKK.
Plus, if you're already in Sihanoukville stay on the coast. It's a way better border crossing too.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I have done it 4 X. Every trip I say never again.The last was year ago to Koh Chang . It's a gruesome trip - 8 hrs over (when everything went right) and 11 back (and KC is 2 hrs closer). My best friend lives in Pattaya and I go a couple times a year. I take a mini-bus up to PNH, Air Asia to DMK, over night in BKK, bus down to Pats from Ekkamai. I booked an Air Asia DMK RT last week for $90 all in. If you want to spend some money the overland trip will be a lot better if you book a cab to KK and one straight to PTY from the border. If there's a big line at CMB immigration, open the glass door, and hand over your pps with a dollar in each and they'll do you immediately. Go talk to Ana'a on Beach Rd.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i used to get the night bus from SHV to BK, but the last time i did it i said never again, set off at 7.30-8.00pm, and didnt get to the border until lunch time the next day, no idea what they were playing at, i didnt get to Hua Hin in thailand until 7pm so was on the road for 24hours!

i usually travel with VET, but was wondering if their bus goes via KK/Trat or via PoiPet, as im sure ive been on the bus to BK with people also going to Pattaya, and it seems a stupidly long journey to take to Pattaya when you can go Via KK/Trat and it take half the time well its 575km instead of 900km
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

There are some deals with Air Asia about $50 from PP to BKK at moment, prob not inc tax luggage but never checked! Done the SHV to Pattaya many times. Going there again next week Tis a bloody ball ache of trip every time and around 13hrs on minibuses. One bus, either Virak or Rithmony drives straight to the border rather than dumping you in KK. Once through border find mini bus going to Trat, they will NOT leave until filled all seats, can take an hour or more! You change bus at some point half way and get to Trat bus station, look for another to Pattaya. They always time it so you will miss the last big comfy bus to Pattaya. :evil:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Fourkinnel wrote:There are some deals with Air Asia about $50 from PP to BKK at moment, prob not inc tax luggage but never checked!
Double it by the time you add the trickle charges.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

bah, I've done Kampong Cham to Bangkok in one long haul a couple times. Snooky to Patters? cake. I can't imagine it taking 12 hours, that's what it takes me to go from KC to Bkk,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic