I’m dreading the day when…

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: I’m dreading the day when…

Post by phuketrichard »

pootylicious wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:02 pm PC culture will be over as soon as America isn't rich enough to spread it. That's why we need Putin to win
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Alex wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:50 pm One of the best things about living in Southeast Asia is that you don't really need to care about all that shit.

I'm dreading the day when I'll be forced to return home though. It might never come and I sincerely hope so...
I'm not so sure. I can't think how any of it impacted my life at all in the West or Asia. The biggest impact any "woke" movement has had is that people argue about it online and in the media where it gets sensationalized.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yobbo wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 pm Something to ponder as I crush my plant based chicken stockcubes into a good old fashioned chicken curry;
bought the chicken tender loins on special as about 10 packets were due to expire & be thrown out.
I'm hip 8)
What are chicken tender loins?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:56 pm I'm not so sure. I can't think how any of it impacted my life at all in the West or Asia.
I can see PC culture here in Japan. Mostly among the western expats, mind you. Lots of calls for "equity" and "diversity". Even expats talking about "helping Japan become a multicultural nation" and the like.

Recent example:
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:15 pm
Yobbo wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 pm Something to ponder as I crush my plant based chicken stockcubes into a good old fashioned chicken curry;
bought the chicken tender loins on special as about 10 packets were due to expire & be thrown out.
I'm hip 8)
What are chicken tender loins?
A chicken tenderloin, or chicken tender, is a thin muscle that's loosely attached to the underside of the breast.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:10 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:56 pm I'm not so sure. I can't think how any of it impacted my life at all in the West or Asia.
I can see PC culture here in Japan. Mostly among the western expats, mind you. Lots of calls for "equity" and "diversity". Even expats talking about "helping Japan become a multicultural nation" and the like.

Recent example:
I think this is a good example of what I meant. There have likely been some statements on inclusion at events or places I attend, it just doesn't even register with me and doesn't impact me in any way. For example, just checked a theme park we attend frequently as a family -> They have something about diversity & inclusion on their website. I don't know when they added it and don't notice anything different from when I attended the same place 20 years ago. There are people that see that simple statement and get riled up about it, sane folks just keep going about their business.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I don't quite get it when people tell you their preferred pronouns. There are three types of pronouns in English. First person, coming from the speaker (I, me, my), Second person, directed at the person you are talking to (you, yours) and Third person, typically directed at the person who is not present during the conversation or part of the conversation (he, him, his, she, her, hers).

So when people say their preferred pronouns are He/Him or She/Her, they are referring to how they prefer to be addressed when they are not there. In which case, why would they care?

I'm sure I've been called all sorts of things when I've not been present or involved in the conversation, not just related to my gender. Some of them positive, some negative. I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know. And neither would I particularly care.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

xandreu wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:00 am I don't quite get it when people tell you their preferred pronouns. There are three types of pronouns in English. First person, coming from the speaker (I, me, my), Second person, directed at the person you are talking to (you, yours) and Third person, typically directed at the person who is not present during the conversation or part of the conversation (he, him, his, she, her, hers).

So when people say their preferred pronouns are He/Him or She/Her, they are referring to how they prefer to be addressed when they are not there. In which case, why would they care?

I'm sure I've been called all sorts of things when I've not been present or involved in the conversation, not just related to my gender. Some of them positive, some negative. I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know. And neither would I particularly care.
Apart from on the internet, IRL I have never come across anyone at all who has told me how they think I should talk or how to address them.

As for guessing how you think random people on the internet wish to be addressed - life is too short - be kind and be tolerant. If the person is called Lola and is dressed as a woman, then "hello", is probably the appropriate address. :facepalm:
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:21 am Can't even tell an Irish joke anymore.

(I'd often wondered what jokes the Irish tell. I guess I'll never know now.)
https://www.stagparty.ie/news/the-best- ... party-1778
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:43 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Recent example:
I think this is a good example of what I meant. There have likely been some statements on inclusion at events or places I attend, it just doesn't even register with me and doesn't impact me in any way. For example, just checked a theme park we attend frequently as a family -> They have something about diversity & inclusion on their website. I don't know when they added it and don't notice anything different from when I attended the same place 20 years ago. There are people that see that simple statement and get riled up about it, sane folks just keep going about their business.
Ok, the theme park example doesn't seem too important. On the other hand, the DIE (Diversity, Inclusion & Equity) agenda often means that people like me are excluded from jobs and universities. And receiving medical care, in the case of Covid vaccinations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic