ASEAN is frustrated by the junta, but how far is it willing to go?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

ASEAN is frustrated by the junta, but how far is it willing to go?

Post by phuketrichard »

Meting next month, last time for HE to achieve anything . 40TH AND 41ST ASEAN SUMMITS AND RELATED SUMMITS 08 - 13 November 2022 Phnom Penh, Cambodia

excerpts:
For the first time in its history, a member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations has openly called for the regional bloc to consider suspending another member.

More than 18 months since the Myanmar military seized power and brutally slaughtered hundreds of protesters, ASEAN has grown increasingly frustrated with the lack of progress on the Five Point Consensus – a non-binding agreement drafted nearly three months after the coup. While many countries have criticised the junta’s lack of effort in fulfilling the framework, Malaysia has gone a step further, floating the idea of suspending Myanmar.

............The Five Point Consensus outlines five objectives aimed at resolving Myanmar’s political crisis – an immediate end to all violence, dialogue among all parties to the conflict, provision of humanitarian assistance, the appointment of a special envoy and a visit to Myanmar by the special envoy to meet with “all parties concerned”.

Coup leader Senior General Min Aung Hlaing agreed to these points during a meeting with ASEAN leaders in Indonesia in April last year. However, he appeared to immediately walk back his commitments upon returning to Myanmar, saying implementing the plan depended on a return to “stability”.

Since then, the junta has continued to pursue its own goals without regard to the consensus. Besides slaughtering civilians, the regime has blocked ASEAN special envoys from meeting with deposed state counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and has allegedly co-opted humanitarian aid from the bloc, meaning assistance has failed to reach some of the country’s most vulnerable communities.

Consequently, there is a growing recognition in ASEAN that the Five Point Consensus is failing. In mid-September, Singaporean Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr Vivian Balakrishnan said the bloc is “deeply disappointed” by how little progress has been made, and called the junta’s “disregard” for the framework a marker of its “intransigence”.

............Even authoritarian Cambodia has changed its tone. When Cambodia assumed chairmanship in January this year, it pushed for more engagement with the junta; its ASEAN Special Envoy Prak Sokhonn even said the bloc had been “too hard on Myanmar”. But in June, after the regime threatened to execute four political activists, Cambodian Prime Minister Mr HE warned in a letter to Min Aung Hlaing that the act would “trigger [a] very strong and widespread negative reaction from the international community” and have a “devastating effect on ASEAN”.

When the military went through with the executions anyway, it signalled that it had no intention of making even the most minor concessions to ASEAN.

“The level of frustration has gotten to an all time high, even the Cambodians are frustrated against Min Aung Hlaing and the army – people are just pissed off,” said Santiago. “At one time, it was quite clear that Cambodia was siding with the military, but as things progressed, they have taken a different position. Even HE, who is no protector of democracy, came out and essentially said, ‘I’m tired of this.”

read the full article; https://www.frontiermyanmar.net/en/asea ... ing-to-go/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: ASEAN is frustrated by the junta, but how far is it willing to go?

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:40 pm
Even HE, who is no protector of democracy, came out and essentially said, ‘I’m tired of this.”
Very funny indeed..

Min Aung Hlaing
Prayut Chan-Ocha
Duterte/Marcos
Kim Jong Bum
Thongloun Sisoulith
Najob Razak/Mahatir
Hassanal Bolkiah
Nguyễn Xuân Phúc
One that cannot be named on this forum

SE Asia has truly some truly spectacular leaders that advocate freedom of speech and other essential human rights.

ASEAN's primary objective was to accelerate economic growth and through that social progress and cultural development. A secondary objective was to promote regional peace and stability based on the rule of law and the principle of UN Charter

FAIL
work is for people who cant find truffles
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

All the Burmese Generals need to do is hold a bogus election and take 2 weeks to announce the results exactly the way their neighbor to the East did. I see no difference between the governments of Burma and Thailand. The election that "legitimized" the coup-makers was a bigger joke than Georgia USA.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Robins wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:54 pm All the Burmese Generals need to do is hold a bogus election and take 2 weeks to announce the results exactly the way their neighbor to the East did. I see no difference between the governments of Burma and Thailand. The election that "legitimized" the coup-makers was a bigger joke than Georgia USA.
:facepalm:
in 34 years in Thailand ( nor have i read about if previously) have never seen the Thai military doing to Thai's across the country, what the Junta has been doing in the past 18 months

guess you haven't been reading this thread? post564121.html?hilit=burma#p564121
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

18 military putches since 1932 have spilled some blood too. Thousands of dead people in the south. The thai military is no saints.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:19 pm in 34 years in Thailand ( nor have i read about if previously) have never seen the Thai military doing to Thai's across the country, what the Junta has been doing in the past 18 months
You seem to have a very selective memory. Within your time frame the Black May events in 1992 stand out - a few hundred students executed or disappeared. Going back further we have more and more massacres, Thammasat in 76 for example. The Border Patrol Police and various Thai military and militia units conducted an unreported war against the Thai Communist Party in the 60s and 70s. They were napalming villages. In 1979 the Thai security forces threw thousands of Cambodian refugees off an escarpment into Preah Vihear province, many died. Much more recently, in 2004, we have the Tak Bai incident where 85 people were deliberately suffocated in trucking containers. I won't even get into the political violence around the coups/ elections or the thousands of "drug" people murdered without trial during Taksin's reign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_May_(1992)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

agree; but its always been in the south and Bangkok and to some extent in the NE in the 60-70's when the government was hunting/fighting the commies which ended when an amnesty was declared on 23 April 1980
By 1983, the insurgency had come to an end.

Ever see Chiang Mai, Udon thani, Phuket, Samui, Surin etc etc bombed / villages burned down?

Look i know everyone hates me defending Thailand ( I will be the 1stst to admit bad shit has happened over the years, i do NOT have selective memory) but get real:
i dont ever recall Thailand bombing, burning down villages, using planes to target villages, Indiscriminate rapes, killing children, arresting and imprisoning tens of thousands in the last 30 years, like is currently going on in Burma

OK, thats my point
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI
oct 6th 1976
A black day for Thailand

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:56 am i dont ever recall Thailand bombing, burning down villages, using planes to target villages, Indiscriminate rapes, killing children, arresting and imprisoning tens of thousands in the last 30 years, like is currently going on in Burma
Sure, they just did all that a bit more than 30 years ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:17 am FYI
oct 6th 1976
A black day for Thailand

They're not dead though are they just being held?

In my 20s I loved Thailand but had no idea about the politics, why would I! Was interested in beer, beach and babes, and zooming around on my Katana 750! :beer3:

Oh to be like that now, blissfully ignorant (plus more hair).
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic