My wife needs a proof she didn't pay taxes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bong.kuit
Expatriate

My wife needs a proof she didn't pay taxes

Post by bong.kuit »

As the title said, in order to get back some €'s I paid to support her after she lost her job due to Covid, she/we need this form signed and stamped. It has to prove that she didn't pax tax (cause not working) and therefore needed financial assistance.
She went to the tax department today and they sent her away, because she "wasn't called by the police" and didn't have a "number" (tax number I guess?!).

Does anyone have experience with such a problem? I wonder if my local (European) authorities know about Cambodian bureaucracy...

TIA
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: My wife needs a proof she didn't pay taxes

Post by Bluenose »

Firstly, who/where are you looking get the money back from and on what basis?
Secondly, what kind of tax has she supposedly not been paying?
Thirdly, do you realize how few people, working or otherwise, pay any kind of tax here?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Wait, so let me get this straight... you're trying to claim taxes back from your government because you were supporting your foreign partner, in a foreign country, who was unemployed during Covid? :? Next thing ya know all the bargirls sponsors will be trying the same thing :D (just having a laugh mate)

I highly doubt its possible to get any form of document from the Cambodian GDT which states someone wasn't paying taxes because they weren't working. If she had a legitimate job which she was made redundant from, would a letter stating as such from that employer suffice, or maybe a statutory declaration?
I wonder if my local (European) authorities know about Cambodian bureaucracy...
Not a chance in hell, most Cambodian bureaucrats don't even have a clue :lol:
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

I am trying to get some of my income tax back here in Europe. As I am obliged to fund her, if she is not working, parts of the allowance can be "refunded" by my government.

Anyway, I talked to the tax office again today, and it seems the form is not needed anymore. My tax advisor was wrong...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It sounds as though what you really are looking for is documentation demonstrating no income for her, for the period, enabling you therefore to adjust whatever allowances you receive from wherever, based on a single income, but with family commitments.
Would she normally have been working?
If so, would she normally have documentation showing this?
And, was her previous employment continuous or regular, showing a history of employment with one company, and an end of the employment due to covid?

Out of interest, where were you during this period?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Would you please let us know what country we are talking about? Sure not Italy.
work is for people who cant find truffles
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

You are pretty on point there, Freightdog. The amount of my untaxable income increases, I think. Am not the most sophisticated taxpayer, lol. (and yes, she was working in a small shop before covid, but I doubt there was paperwork involved)

I left Cambodia in 2019 and went back to Germany, where I originally "hail" from.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic