Fellow foreigners...do you miss fast food in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Fellow foreigners...do you miss fast food in Cambodia?

Post by AE86 »

I'm curious to ask, just because...

I was talking to my wife, and the thing I realized that I missed the most in Cambodia was fast food in general. I don't like ordering take out and waiting for it and likewise, I'm usually too busy to be cooking a full blown meal, so I'm a massive frequently flyer to McDonalds. At least 4 or 5 times a day. I know it's not healthy, but I like french fries and I'm always on the run. Japan was the same story, I was always grabbing a bowl of ramen or rice ball with fish on the way to work. Cambodia though, for the most part I haven't seen anywhere that's actually convenient to pick up food to just eat. Not to mention, I remember how the horrendous traffic would discourage me from going anywhere farther than a few hundred meters.

I'm wondering if I'm alone in that thinking though and that's why I'd like to ask you lot. Cambodias, feel free to respond too! :D

Do you miss fast food? (not the food itself, but the convenience of instantly picking up something hot and tasty?)
-insert signature here
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Fellow foreigners...do you miss fast food in Cambodia?

Post by Username Taken »

Absolutely.

The convenience of dropping into a McDonalds (for example) and seeing that they do already have some Quarter Pounders and Fries ready to go was, well, convenient.

In English classes here, the students learn that 'fast food' means stuff like burgers, bbq chicken, pizza. They have never actually experienced the 'fast' in fast food.

I wonder if that will ever change. [Note: I have yet to visit Burger King. Have they got it right, or not?]
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Well, I have been known to buy the odd Mc D cheeseburger after I had given up on the world. lol.
As for the McD french fries. Did you guys notice that food tech have invented the hollow fry? I know, simply amazing isn't it! and look at the profits!!
I don't miss fast food in PP because we have KFC. For $1.25 you can get a fairly decent sized chicken burger. And at the moment you can get chicken and rice/ veg for $2 with a bottle of that horrendously sweet Mountain Dew. (must be the dew off a Disney mountain). Best deal in town outside of Lucky's 8 pm discounts. Order the breast to get maximum value. They also have some kind of weird fishy/dressing come chilly sauce which I haven't come across before. AND I haven't got sick from it yet (maybe a few years down the line when the toxins really start building up) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I don't miss fast food, but if I lived in the city, I wouldn't shun it entirely. I have, however, reached my shit threshold with rice, rice, and more "f"ing rice.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

juansweetpotato wrote: we have KFC.
Try ordering Original recipe.
9 times out of 10 it's, "Sorry, sir. Now no have Original recipe. Can you wait 20 minutes?"

Not quite fast enough.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Username Taken wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote: we have KFC.
Try ordering Original recipe.
9 times out of 10 it's, "Sorry, sir. Now no have Original recipe. Can you wait 20 minutes?"

Not quite fast enough.
Yep, as always one has to adapt to the local way of doing things. Whenever I go now, I always check first then make sure i have something else to do for the 20 or so minutes instead of hanging around. Quite a nice place to prepare a lesson plan or 2 for instance.The one I go to is often pretty empty. Asia has me doing things i have resisted for virtually the whole of my life. lol
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh now you mention it... its alright if you like fried chicken, i know a couple of places in sHV/PP that sell fried chicken, but a quick burger and fries is impossible, dont think ive come across any 7/11 style burgers in the supermarkets here, you can get hot Pies in some of them though that are ready to go,
thailands pretty decent for it though, youre never really too far from a McD, KFC or burgerking
i dont think ive been to any of them in cambodia though, there is no fast food joints in SHV and they are too far away from where i stay in PP to make the idea of Fast Food worth it
if i want some instant hot food here in SHV ill just pop to the golden lion round about and pick up some sausages on a stick or something
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

AE86, you used McDonald's 4 or 5 times a day? You must have took many inches off your waistline since coming here! :)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I usually never lose or gain any weight when it comes to which country I'm in. I've been 9 stone (130 lbs) for the last 10 years or so and i guess it's going to stay that way.
-insert signature here
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

The Chicky French Rotisserie thread might be a new option for you
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic