Free ? Windows 10 Upgrade

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Re: Free ? Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by JBTrain »

I updated my ancient ThinkPad T500 from the developer preview to the regular Windows 10 with no problems and it's freaking fast . Using a 23 inch Acer touchscreen, plug and play, it's a beautiful thing.

Using Tapatalk
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

first of all it took around 12 hours to get the update and install it.

after that it was still slow, as it still downloaded its own fixes.

though, the biggest shocker knocking me out for 2 days was the deactivation of the admin-user.
hahaha...

all this bullshit-messages in the background "it will be ready soon", "oopsie, takes a bit longer"... "hahaha... just wait a little longer"... they could have had another one saying "deactivating your main admin user...snicker"...

its nice, but eats up all my memory, 2 gb.

(you can just shut down the cortana process)

if you look up security, its imo the most spying operating system ever developed.
they send your "behaviour" permanently to microsoft, and you cant switch that off.
disgusting.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

potty wrote:first of all it took around 12 hours to get the update and install it.

after that it was still slow, as it still downloaded its own fixes.

though, the biggest shocker knocking me out for 2 days was the deactivation of the admin-user.
hahaha...

all this bullshit-messages in the background "it will be ready soon", "oopsie, takes a bit longer"... "hahaha... just wait a little longer"... they could have had another one saying "deactivating your main admin user...snicker"...

its nice, but eats up all my memory, 2 gb.

(you can just shut down the cortana process)

if you look up security, its imo the most spying operating system ever developed.
they send your "behaviour" permanently to microsoft, and you cant switch that off.
disgusting.
I'm guessing you have a slow connection it went quickly for me in the US... Cortsna and the keystroke recording etc you can turn off. Google is your friend.
Using Tapatalk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

JBTrain wrote:... Cortsna and the keystroke recording etc you can turn off. Google is your friend.
So is CEO. https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post89252.html#p89252

:hattip:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I upgraded mine a few weeks ago.

Took about 4 hours from start to finish. I have had no problems since upgrading and actually am enjoying windows 10 after I got used to it.

Great user interface and seems to have sped up simple tasks that normally took longer. Like shutdown and start up.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

I thought I'd see how my ten year old ThinkPad T43 running XP would do... Wasn't such a good move, way too many driver issues came up soon as I updated to Windows 7 so I never got to 10. Rather than push my luck any further I scrapped Windows altogether and installed Lubuntu and everything works. 10 still working great on the T500 though.
Using Tapatalk
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that Windows 10 is not spying on you. And also spies on your children for you:
“This weekend we upgraded my 14-year-old son's laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10,” wrote a Boing Boing reader in an email to the site. “Today I got a creepy-ass email from Microsoft titled 'Weekly activity report for [my kid]', including which websites he's visited, how many hours per day he's used it, and how many minutes he used each of his favorite apps.”...

...The dossiers are just the latest example of worries about invasive spying on Windows 10 — which includes settings that allow Microsoft to look in on users’ computers, and which continues to send data to Microsoft even when they are turned off. [WTF?]

Those concerns have led to worries that have meant that some Windows 10 users are being banned by pirates from torrenting, for fear that Microsoft has installed technology that can look at their hard drives.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 72226.html
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks UT. :thumb:
tortlay
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by tortlay »

I do recommend win 10 over XP, 7, 8, 8.1. They are awesomely done.
តថ្លៃ Tortlay (http://tortlay.com) - កន្លែងដែលអ្នកដាក់ដេញថ្លៃ និងតថ្លៃលើអ្វីៗគ្រប់យ៉ាងនៅកម្ពុជា ដោយសេរី! Let's start with your first auction listing; buy and sell things fast in Cambodia in an auction style. Hurry up, you have nothing to lose!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic