ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:37 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:50 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 pm

The word queer used to mean weird or different. Now it is connatively used to mean homosexual. Likewise, the word punk has gone through cycles of meaning.
No. Maybe it's the meaning you like to give it, but then you don't get the full meaning of the word.

In which case, why have you not shown the full meaning of the word, instead of just the portion that fits part of the dialogue?
I'm sorry if the full stop ending the meaning wasn't included in the screenshot. Plus, it's not like my source was a secret.
Point is, the words queer and gay are NOT the same.

Yes, meanings of words change, but we're having a discussion now. Not 40 years ago.
While we’re aware that language changes, it’s not that the meanings of words have changed in this instance, it’s that the slang use of certain words has become the adopted norm. Then, the proper established usage may drop out of use- maybe because it can now lead to deliberate misunderstandings, actual misunderstandings, or simple embarrassment, or any number of reasons. It’s just sloppy. Something that one might hope people such as teachers would be keen to manage, rather than promote or simply ‘let slide’.
Which is why words like woke are acceptable as people become less careful with the use of their own language, and just adopt the latest most popular buzz phrase.

Fundamentally, this is why I’m not in favour with changing terms and descriptions, and commonly accepted words. Such as Minor Attracted Persons. It’s a mouthful, for no good reason, and really should be confined to publications on the subject, rather than daily usage. Otherwise, soon it will be contracted to MAP or another careless acronym for sheer convenience, and we’ll have to change the name of Google Maps App to avoid a queer look.
Whether paedophile is employed incorrectly or not is a connected, but mostly separate matter.
The use of slang terms as proper words which are slightly out of context is not a good excuse for allowing it to continue.

Queer still has a proper meaning, but the use of queer as a slang term has become associated with homosexuality, almost to the exclusion of any other meanings, in the same way as Gay. All too often, both are quite often used as pejoratives.

Here’s some phrases from actual English to help those for whom English is not their first language.

Now’t as queer as folk. Not relating to sexuality, but just acknowledging that people can be a bit strange.
Gay abandon. Not to do with sexuality, but with unrestrained enthusiasm, for instance.

It’s not the meaning (queer) that one person likes to give it. it’s the actual meaning from its actual origin.

But I’m sure you knew that.

Do carry on.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:31 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:01 pm
violet wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:48 pm A fag still means a cigarette
I would say that depends on what flavor of English you're speaking, or am I as usual wrong?
I remember being rather confused, and a little disturbed, when I first moved to Aussie and someone asked me "Can I bum a fag Maaaate?" :lol:
I did wonder, once if In the UK, smoking a fag were legal, but in the US, it might be considered murder.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Semantics aside, back on topic...

WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Big deal. The little puff was 17 at the time ...Hardly crime of the century id say.
Be your own toy.
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

WillieW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 pm Big deal. The little puff was 17 at the time ...Hardly crime of the century id say.
The thin end of the wedge.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:59 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:31 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:01 pm
violet wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:48 pm A fag still means a cigarette
I would say that depends on what flavor of English you're speaking, or am I as usual wrong?
I remember being rather confused, and a little disturbed, when I first moved to Aussie and someone asked me "Can I bum a fag Maaaate?" :lol:
I did wonder, once if In the UK, smoking a fag were legal, but in the US, it might be considered murder.
Not sure about other English speaking countries, but the end of the cigarette you actually put in your mouth is known, in the UK, as the butt.

So it's quite common to put a fag butt in your mouth.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Just a quick reminder for the next batch of teachers coming to Cambodia
YOU-DON'T-TALK-SEX-WITH-YOUR-STU-DENTS-IT'S-NOT-YOUR-FUC-KING-JOB
Now repeat after me

So where is it at now ? Is the imported clown & guest under control already ?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Some of the greatest generation were still working while I was growing up. Boys were addressed as masters and girls as mistress. I grew up addressing men as ‘sir’ and women as ‘ma ‘ am’.

Male teachers wore knit ties, women dresses.

Grandfather wore a suit and tie everyday well into retirement.

No one cared if a teacher was gay or anything else, as long as he was professional in being a teacher.

A clear line being teachers don’t solicit students.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:53 am Some of the greatest generation were still working while I was growing up. Boys were addressed as masters and girls as mistress. I grew up addressing men as ‘sir’ and women as ‘ma ‘ am’.

Male teachers wore knit ties, women dresses.

Grandfather wore a suit and tie everyday well into retirement.

No one cared if a teacher was gay or anything else, as long as he was professional in being a teacher.

A clear line being teachers don’t solicit students.
That sounds very naive. You saying back in the day people didn't care if someone was gay? THey had to be in the closet. No way was it accepted.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic