ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 pm

The word queer used to mean weird or different. Now it is connatively used to mean homosexual. Likewise, the word punk has gone through cycles of meaning.
No. Maybe it's the meaning you like to give it, but then you don't get the full meaning of the word.

Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:50 pm

The word queer used to mean weird or different. Now it is connatively used to mean homosexual. Likewise, the word punk has gone through cycles of meaning.
No. Maybe it's the meaning you like to give it, but then you don't get the full meaning of the word.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In which case, why have you not shown the full meaning of the word, instead of just the portion that fits part of the dialogue?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:37 pm

In which case, why have you not shown the full meaning of the word, instead of just the portion that fits part of the dialogue?*
:hattip:
Word meanings change, and always have done. There is no secret plan behind this. Fag was a cigarette, dyke was a dam against the sea etc, etc.
There is no gay/liberal vocabulary conspiracy. Times change, and with that change, people have been looking for new words to describe the changes - gay, straight, and who gives a fk.

:popcorn: Chill my friends. Language doesn't make you queer. Don't panic.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:37 pm

In which case, why have you not shown the full meaning of the word, instead of just the portion that fits part of the dialogue?
I'm sorry if the full stop ending the meaning wasn't included in the screenshot. Plus, it's not like my source was a secret.
Point is, the words queer and gay are NOT the same.

Yes, meanings of words change, but we're having a discussion now. Not 40 years ago.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

A fag still means a cigarette
A dyke never had that meaning. A dike is like a dam with water on one side - was and remains the meaning

Edit
(Ok dyke is dike)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

violet wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:48 pm A fag still means a cigarette
I would say that depends on what flavor of English you're speaking, or am I as usual wrong?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:58 pm

Don't worry. If you consider queer men homosexual that's totally fine with me. All those details are just blurring your vision on the truth

Our daughters, sorry, your daughter, is safe with a queer man grooming students.

My daughter is not considered safe with him. Because my definition of queer is different.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

A dyke never had that meaning. A dike is like a dam with water on one side - was and remains the meaning

Edit
(Ok dyke is dike)
And a fag is also short for gay. But not for queer.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:01 pm
I would say that depends on what flavor of English you're speaking, or am I as usual wrong?
I remember being rather confused, and a little disturbed, when I first moved to Aussie and someone asked me "Can I bum a fag Maaaate?" :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic