ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:34 pm I wonder if Teacher Michael Strahan in Cambodia was taking HIV medication to suppress the virus? Or was he openly teaching and exposing children? Does ACE know about this? Was he not getting his health screening at the ministry?
Why would someone willingly put his life at risk? Doesn't make sense to me.
Bad_To_Worse wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:48 am
2. I hate to tell this about anyone publicly but given the situation ... Mike is HIV+ and has been since long before he came to Cambodia. In fact, it was the reason he came to Cambodia. He was teaching in South Korea the year they changed their work visa policy to require an HIV test and he knew he was HIV+ and couldn't pass it so he first moved to Vietnam and taught there for a relatively short while and then relocated to Cambodia.
It seems like from this story he's been infected a long time ago (>12 years). With his lifestyle I guess he would be a full blown AIDS patient by now, or dead.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ACE School's Michael Strahan (Teacher Michael in Cambodia) Admits to Grooming Underage Student in Cambodia

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:23 pm
Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:34 pm I wonder if Teacher Michael Strahan in Cambodia was taking HIV medication to suppress the virus? Or was he openly teaching and exposing children? Does ACE know about this? Was he not getting his health screening at the ministry?
2. I hate to tell this about anyone publicly but given the situation ... Mike is HIV+ and has been since long before he came to Cambodia. In fact, it was the reason he came to Cambodia. He was teaching in South Korea the year they changed their work visa policy to require an HIV test and he knew he was HIV+ and couldn't pass it so he first moved to Vietnam and taught there for a relatively short while and then relocated to Cambodia.
It seems like from this story he's been infected a long time ago (>12 years). With his lifestyle I guess he would be a full blown AIDS patient by now, or dead.
I don't get your post. In many people with HIV, it can effectively be suppressed to an undetectable level at which it won't do any severe damage for a very long time (if ever).

He might or might not have gotten proper treatment, that could make a hell of a difference not just with regards to his own health but also with regards to the likelihood of him spreading HIV to others.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

English Teacher Terminated for ‘Inappropriate’ Texts With Student
4 min read
Fiona Kelliher
| Tue Oct 4, 2022 5:23 pm
A popular English teacher at the Australian Center for Education has been terminated after a series of “inappropriate” messages with a former student was leaked on social media, the school said Monday.

Michael Strahan, an American transplant who was well-known as “Teacher Michael” on platforms such as TikTok and Facebook, exchanged messages allegedly over three years with a former student in which he appeared to tell the student to “let me know when you’re 18” and joked about dating the student in exchange for scholarship money.

ACE administrators learned of the messages last Wednesday after they were initially posted and re-shared by Facebook users starting Tuesday.

“We have determined that the staff member’s communication with a student was entirely inappropriate and ceased the staff member’s employment on Friday,” a spokesperson told VOD in an email. “This is in line with our internal policies and in the best interest of our students.”

In a since-deleted apology video posted to his TikTok, Strahan acknowledged that he had sent the texts but also said his words had been taken out of context as part of a “targeted” campaign against him. Reached via Facebook Tuesday, Strahan declined to comment further.

“I’m sure that you guys have all seen the screenshots of a conversation I had years ago with an ex-student,” Strahan said in his response video, which was archived by viewers on Facebook after it was deleted. “Those were absolutely my words in that chat. I wrote those words, and aside from that, I’ve also been a victim — a target — of a hate campaign. So those two things are happening simultaneously, at the same time.”

Last Tuesday around 10 a.m, a Facebook argument broke out after Strahan posted a video complaining about motorcyclists blocking the sidewalk in Phnom Penh, according to two students and screenshots of the original posts. The video touched a nerve, and other Facebook users began responding with posts and memes.

In the comments section of a meme, an anonymous user uploaded screenshots containing Strahan’s messages with the former student, where they quickly gained traction.

“People started posting the screenshots themselves instead of the meme,” said one student who studied at ACE and declined to share his name for fear of retaliation. “Fast forward, it just started going viral from there. It was like a snowball effect.”
Full article: https://vodenglish.news/english-teacher ... h-student/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:23 pm
I don't get your post. In many people with HIV, it can effectively be suppressed to an undetectable level at which it won't do any severe damage for a very long time (if ever).

He might or might not have gotten proper treatment, that could make a hell of a difference not just with regards to his own health but also with regards to the likelihood of him spreading HIV to others.
If he wouldn't have taken the meds and @Bad_To_Worse's story is true, he would most probably be an AIDS patients now or dead. He doesn't look like any of those.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:41 pm English Teacher Terminated for ‘Inappropriate’ Texts With Student
4 min read
Fiona Kelliher
| Tue Oct 4, 2022 5:23 pm
A popular English teacher at the Australian Center for Education has been terminated after a series of “inappropriate” messages with a former student was leaked on social media, the school said Monday.

Michael Strahan, an American transplant who was well-known as “Teacher Michael” on platforms such as TikTok and Facebook, exchanged messages allegedly over three years with a former student in which he appeared to tell the student to “let me know when you’re 18” and joked about dating the student in exchange for scholarship money.

ACE administrators learned of the messages last Wednesday after they were initially posted and re-shared by Facebook users starting Tuesday.

“We have determined that the staff member’s communication with a student was entirely inappropriate and ceased the staff member’s employment on Friday,” a spokesperson told VOD in an email. “This is in line with our internal policies and in the best interest of our students.”

In a since-deleted apology video posted to his TikTok, Strahan acknowledged that he had sent the texts but also said his words had been taken out of context as part of a “targeted” campaign against him. Reached via Facebook Tuesday, Strahan declined to comment further.

“I’m sure that you guys have all seen the screenshots of a conversation I had years ago with an ex-student,” Strahan said in his response video, which was archived by viewers on Facebook after it was deleted. “Those were absolutely my words in that chat. I wrote those words, and aside from that, I’ve also been a victim — a target — of a hate campaign. So those two things are happening simultaneously, at the same time.”

Last Tuesday around 10 a.m, a Facebook argument broke out after Strahan posted a video complaining about motorcyclists blocking the sidewalk in Phnom Penh, according to two students and screenshots of the original posts. The video touched a nerve, and other Facebook users began responding with posts and memes.

In the comments section of a meme, an anonymous user uploaded screenshots containing Strahan’s messages with the former student, where they quickly gained traction.

“People started posting the screenshots themselves instead of the meme,” said one student who studied at ACE and declined to share his name for fear of retaliation. “Fast forward, it just started going viral from there. It was like a snowball effect.”
Full article: https://vodenglish.news/english-teacher ... h-student/
About time; hopefully a few more publications run with this
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's safe to say that his working life is effectively screwed from now on. Most employers these days, no matter what job you apply for, whether it's working with children or not, will at least do a quick Google search for your name before they decide to emply you, and this will always be easily visible. You'd have to be pretty desperate to emply someone with this hanging around their neck.

In general, (a little off-topic from the Teacher Michael situation but still relevent) I think it's yet another lesson for everyone, whether you're grooming children, sending hate messages to ex-partners late at night when you're drunk, sending nude pictures of yourself to people you know or don't know or just saying anything that you wouldn't say to close friends or relatives, that everything, absolutely everything you ever write, do or post online, whether it's on public forums or 1-2-1 messages, will always remain online and be accessibile forever, it will never, ever go away, and will always have the ability to come back and haunt you when you least expect it.

I think the older generation, like myself, understand this, but unfortunately, the younger generation don't seem to. I have a teacher friend who makes at least one lesson per term all about this. Most kids these days are aware of the dangers of being groomed online, but not many are taught to think about the potential long-term effects of the things they do, say or post themselves online.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:09 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:34 pm You don't expose people to HIV by being around them. That's now how the HIV virus works?
Secondly..most foreigners dont'get a health screening for the work permit. You pay extra to an agent and you don't need to submit the health document.
You're assuming a confirmed pedophile isn't having relations with his students.

And you do get a health screening if you're getting a work permit legitimately, hopefully one day the proper ministry looks into the corruption and back dates all the expats who did the "agent workaround" because what you just said is very worrying and I only assumed barflies did that method, not people with actual employment.
I went to the MoL center on Russian Federation a few times for health checks. They were far from stringent. The blood test involves pricking your finger, taking some blood in a capillary tube and then sticking it in an non-indexed tray with loads of other samples - to likely be thrown in the garbage a bit later. I don't recall anyone ever failing the tests. The last couple of times my company just used an agent. Good luck with the "proper ministry". :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

People illegally bypassing the health screening should have their visas revoked.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I had no issues with getting a (BS) check up at the ministry. It was on the ministry's advice that we used an agent.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 pm I had no issues with getting a (BS) check up at the ministry. It was on the ministry's advice that we used an agent.
That rogue staff member at the ministry needs to be re-educated by the competent authorities.

I never had any issue with getting the health check. I did wonder if they actually did anything with all those vials collected or just chucked them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic