Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Some foods you only find "at home" or in certain places : what food or drink do you miss when you're away ? This can refer to Cambodia, or any country where you miss the food; it doesn't have to be the country on your passport.
^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
Spoiler:
Ok, I admit that I do miss Aussie steak sandwiches - and also English fish n chips wrapped in newspaper, served with vinegar.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Post by verdebandit »

Box office and the vine both do truly excellent fish and chips even if neither one is wrapped in newspaper.

Box office and most craft beer places here also offer a schooner even if they just call it a small.

I find the long avocados here are better for drinks than eating though.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

In NZ it's standard to have beetroot and fried egg in a beef burger, don't knock it till you try it, my wife and kids complain if I make them burgers without beetroot & egg :D (The Vine does an Aussie Burger with beetroot, best burgers in PP imo.)

Having been living away from NZ since 2005 I can't say I really miss anything foodwise, although I do get the odd craving for some things, if I were to make a list I'd say...

- Feijoa's
- Hangi (I have a keg hangi at home in Cambodia, close but not the same as been cooked in the earth)
- Tītī (Muttonbirds)
- Bacon bone boil up with puha (impossible to find bacon bones here)
- Kiwi style meat pies (that I don't have to make myself)
- Custard Squares (that I don't have to make myself)
- Cookie Time chocolate chip cookies
- Hokey Pokey Ice-cream
- Whittakers Peanut Slabs
- Kiwi dip (Reduced cream and Maggi onion soup)
- Kiwi bacon
- Swappa-crates of beer

Shit...Once I started writing that list I realised there are quite a few things that I do actually miss and i could probably add heaps more, might be time to head back for a visit, last trip to NZ was in 2014.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am In NZ it's standard to have beetroot and fried egg in a beef burger, don't knock it till you try it, my wife and kids complain if I make them burgers without beetroot & egg :D (The Vine does an Aussie Burger with beetroot, best burgers in PP imo.)

Having been living away from NZ since 2005 I can't say I really miss anything foodwise, although I do get the odd craving for some things, if I were to make a list I'd say...

- Feijoa's
- Hangi (I have a keg hangi at home in Cambodia, close but not the same as been cooked in the earth)
- Tītī (Muttonbirds)
- Hokey Pokey Ice-cream
- Kiwi bacon
- Swappa-crates of beer

Shit...Once I started writing that list I realised there are quite a few things that I do actually miss and i could probably add heaps more, might be time to head back for a visit, last trip to NZ was in 2014.
Haha, pies and feijoas... I can relate to that.

I headed back to NZ and rented a house with a corner dairy just down the road, for a while there I was going in twice a day for a pie. A few months later I noticed the tree in the back yard was growing fruit, I hadn't realised it was a feijoa tree...stoked!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 am
I headed back to NZ and rented a house with a corner dairy just down the road, for a while there I was going in twice a day for a pie. A few months later I noticed the tree in the back yard was growing fruit, I hadn't realised it was a feijoa tree...stoked!
A dairy within walking distance and a Feijoa tree in the back yard :shock: ...you lucky buggar!
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:59 am
A dairy within walking distance and a Feijoa tree in the back yard :shock: ...you lucky buggar!
And a short walk to the bottle shop and New World too .. :Yahoo!:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am In NZ it's standard to have beetroot and fried egg in a beef burger, don't knock it till you try it, my wife and kids complain if I make them burgers without beetroot & egg :D (The Vine does an Aussie Burger with beetroot, best burgers in PP imo.)

- Feijoa's
- Tītī (Muttonbirds)
- Hokey Pokey Ice-cream
- Kiwi bacon
- Swappa-crates of beer

Why have you left puha and kina off the list. Probably your not a riel kiwi.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:10 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:59 am
And a short walk to the bottle shop and New World too .. :Yahoo!:
Bottle shop got me thinking.

The good old drive-in bottle shop!

[The guy comes up to your car window and says, "Shores mate". Apparently, in the King's English that translates to 'What's yours mate?" (aka whaddaya want mate)]
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Australia is the only country in the world (don’t remember them in NZ) with drive through liquor stores/bottle shops/off licence. It was a revelation.

@PSD-Kiwi Whats the difference between a Kiwi and Oz pie?
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am ^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
I don't get it, it's easy to get beetroot. Is it that difficult to open a can and put a slice on top of a burger?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic