Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:16 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am ^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
I don't get it, it's easy to get beetroot. Is it that difficult to open a can and put a slice on top of a burger?

I just don’t get it how could anybody miss that ?
Itsnot like peanut butter and jelly .
A Canadian thought up Hawaiianpizza ,
who would even think to put something as foreign as a beet on a hamburger 🍔 ?
If they ever put one on mine i would remove it like my kid does to pickles
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:07 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am - Bacon bone boil up with puha (impossible to find bacon bones here)
Why have you left puha and kina off the list. Probably your not a riel kiwi.
Haha...there's the puha, didn't leave that off the list...but no kina, I'm one of those rare Kiwis who's allergic to seafood

@mannanman I won't derail the thread with yet another pie discussion, will just say that there are some great meat pies available in Aussie also, but you usually only find those in bakeries, and the servos, minimarts, etc generally only sell mass produced packaged pies.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:57 am Where is The Vine these days? Google maps put it in 240z which is where Box Office is. It used to be on 172 but I think it moved quite a while ago.
Yea it's on the same street as The Box Office, just a few doors down, much better location.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:24 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:07 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am - Bacon bone boil up with puha (impossible to find bacon bones here)
Why have you left puha and kina off the list. Probably your not a riel kiwi.
Haha...there's the puha, didn't leave that off the list...but no kina, I'm one of those rare Kiwis who's allergic to seafood

@mannanman I won't derail the thread with yet another pie discussion, will just say that there are some great meat pies available in Aussie also, but you usually only find those in bakeries, and the servos, minimarts, etc generally only sell mass produced packaged pies.
I had a couple of Villi’s pies recently from Super Duper Very nice indeed and cheap. (The sausage rolls are crap)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:19 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am ^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
I don't get it, it's easy to get beetroot. Is it that difficult to open a can and put a slice on top of a burger?

I had an Aussie burger c/w beetroot once (Patrick at Kangaroo Kitchen in S/ville made it for me personally, as they’d just dropped them from the menu) and I thoroughly enjoyed it👍
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:57 am Where is The Vine these days? Google maps put it in 240z which is where Box Office is. It used to be on 172 but I think it moved quite a while ago.
Yea it's on the same street as The Box Office, just a few doors down, much better location.
I had a wander past there today and found it. There are a few little bars down that cut through street that look interesting.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:15 pm

I had an Aussie burger c/w beetroot once (Patrick at Kangaroo Kitchen in S/ville made it for me personally, as they’d just dropped them from the menu) and I thoroughly enjoyed it👍
Ahh Patrick. The man you smelt before you saw him.
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:15 pm

I've had one once or twice, I think it tastes really good. I usually have some pickled beetroot and gherkins in the cupboard anyway just to munch on straight.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:57 am
verdebandit wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:45 am Box office and the vine both do truly excellent fish and chips even if neither one is wrapped in newspaper.

Box office and most craft beer places here also offer a schooner even if they just call it a small.

I find the long avocados here are better for drinks than eating though.
Where is The Vine these days? Google maps put it in 240z which is where Box Office is. It used to be on 172 but I think it moved quite a while ago.
On 244 a 15 second walk from box office. You just pass a piri piri place and a bagel place, the alley to craft beer bbq and it's right there.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:45 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am
I had a wander past there today and found it. There are a few little bars down that cut through street that look interesting.
Craft beer bbq and bongbongbong in there are both good. Craft often has live music and bongbongbong has solid cocktails.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic