Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Aussies Miss Their Beetroot Burgers; What Do You Miss ?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:16 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am ^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
I don't get it, it's easy to get beetroot. Is it that difficult to open a can and put a slice on top of a burger?
I think it should be pickled beetroot

Which is available here

Lol, as is "chicken salt"

And everything else on that list is too except for a Leamington, whatever that's supposed to be. Prob some shitty mass produced tea cake
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

so many
real somtom
larp gai
pat thai
passaeu
Poo nim
Lat nai
Pad Krapow neu lat kow

Maine lobster, Md crab cakes, Clam chowder in Sourdough bread roll
Australia is the only country in the world (don’t remember them in NZ) with drive through liquor stores/bottle shops/off licence. It was a revelation.
Some states in America have these

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

My first visit to Australia. Went to a restaurant. can't remember which city, and asked for a beer. I was told that they do not serve alcohol but that I could go to the next "bottle-o". This seemed really bizarre to me at the time.

What do I miss? Not much. Real cheese, real cold cuts, real sausages (German genes).
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:30 am
Australia is the only country in the world (don’t remember them in NZ) with drive through liquor stores/bottle shops/off licence. It was a revelation.
Some states in America have these

Yes, I should have said "as a general rule". I know there are exceptions in many countries.

Australia have taken it to a new level.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Draught Guinness. Here I am, 15 years later, still hasn't happened.

[edit: why is every Guinness GIF a crime scene?!! ... wait until it has settled...]

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 am ^ This says that Aussies overseas miss their beetroot burgers, which is fair enough, because who else would eat that ? But, avocado or coffee are found in most countries these days. Even in Cambodia.
I don't get it, it's easy to get beetroot. Is it that difficult to open a can and put a slice on top of a burger?
Never thought about carrying the can of beetroot and can opener around with me before when out and about and I get a hankering for a burger. Great idea :facepalm:
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

verdebandit wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:45 am Box office and the vine both do truly excellent fish and chips even if neither one is wrapped in newspaper.

Box office and most craft beer places here also offer a schooner even if they just call it a small.

I find the long avocados here are better for drinks than eating though.
Where is The Vine these days? Google maps put it in 240z which is where Box Office is. It used to be on 172 but I think it moved quite a while ago.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 am
Never thought about carrying the can of beetroot and can opener around with me before when out and about and I get a hankering for a burger. Great idea :facepalm:
Okay, well don't blame me when you die of a broken heart due to missing such a rare food item. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:19 am Draught Guinness. Here I am, 15 years later, still hasn't happened.

[edit: why is every Guinness GIF a crime scene?!! ... wait until it has settled...]

It is odd. It's available in Thailand and Vietnam https://hiddenhoian.com/general/guinne ... t%20Supply

Had to wait till Singapore to get it. Well worth the wait.
I have tried the bottled and canned stuff but it's just not the same.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

mannanman wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:34 am Australia is the only country in the world (don’t remember them in NZ) with drive through liquor stores/bottle shops/off licence. It was a revelation.
The first (and last) time I saw a drive-through bottle shop was when I went to Australia, it impressed the hell out of me. We like to take the piss out of the Aussies any chance we get but I'll give them full credit for the drive-through beer shops, a good idea is a good idea. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic