Keeway Motorcycles yay or nay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Keeway Motorcycles yay or nay?

Post by Jacket »

The other day I was riding down Mao Tse Tung boulevard, when something caught my eye. It was a shop on the intersection of Monivong and MTT. In there they've got brand new motorcycles on sale that are very affordable. The cheapest one they've got is a 150cc streetbike for a 1700$. Not bad in my opinion. However, I don't know anyone who has got a Keeway motorcycle and info on the web is a bit scarce as well. So I'll just put this one out there: In light of the fact that they are really cheap and seem to have been made in China, would you say they're worth the 1700$ investment. I'm sick of the Wave I'm riding around on currently, I'm looking for something with a little bit more power and having something new is always nicer than having something used IMO. The lack of info alongside the fact that I so seldomly see a Keeway on the streets of Phnom Penh make me suspicious that those bikes might not be very popular for a reason tho'.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Keeway Motorcycles yay or nay?

Post by vladimir »

AE86 says they are shit, iirc.

Chinese, no surprise.

Stick with almost any other country making stuff unless the QC is done by the parent company.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

I thought something along those lines as well. However, as I found out, the vast majority of KTM motorcycles on the streets of Asia (with some notable exceptions being the more powerful models) are made in India. Now, it'd be news to me if India was a renowned motorcycle manufacturer all of a sudden, but nobody I ever talk to ever seems to have any problems with their Dukes. So, I guess it doesn't matter where the bikes are being made, as long is there is a reasonable amount of quality control at the factory. idk
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The difference is, I think, that Keeway is both Chinese-designed, and Chinese QC.

Not a great combination for anything other than walls.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Actually I think I said that I'd be scared of getting anything Chinese because of their horrendous track record regarding motor vehicles (i.e. Lifan, Geely, Zongshen, Loncin, etc.) I have no direct experience with Keeway bikes, nor have I even seen one up close.

However, I've had my fair share of bikes made by Chinese companies, and it's enough to put me off of them for a while. Hopefully though, the tides begin to turn for them and they ramp up production quality and get some competent designs onto the market, otherwise the Chinese in general wont stand a chance in the motor vehicle market...much like how Korea had to fight and claw their way up the ladder until Hyundai and Kia (Daewoo too) became something worthwhile to own.
-insert signature here
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Jacket wrote:I thought something along those lines as well. However, as I found out, the vast majority of KTM motorcycles on the streets of Asia (with some notable exceptions being the more powerful models) are made in India. Now, it'd be news to me if India was a renowned motorcycle manufacturer all of a sudden, but nobody I ever talk to ever seems to have any problems with their Dukes. So, I guess it doesn't matter where the bikes are being made, as long is there is a reasonable amount of quality control at the factory. idk

Bajaj; :who are one of the largest motorcycle makers in India, and therefore the world, own a huge stake in KTM and as a result they and KTM released the Duke 200 and 390 together as the only non Austrian made KTM bikes.

Quality is okay, but I wouldn't spend $4000+ for a Duke 200 when I could just buy a Bajaj 200 for less than half the cost.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

vladimir wrote:The difference is, I think, that Keeway is both Chinese-designed, and Chinese QC.

Not a great combination for anything other than walls.
Benelli has some input to Keeway, mainly in design and probably some Italian "character".

I know a few people happy enough with them.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Let's see what they say in 5 years' time.

They have only been here a short while, not long enough to see what happens in the long run, as any mech/owner will tell you.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Chinese build quality with Italian influence, I can't think of a more reliable combination.
-insert signature here
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

You do get what you pay for, but they are so cheap that its okay for a runaround. Engines are old Honda clones, cheap and easy to repair.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic