Corrupt Traffic Cops tried to fine me for going through a green light

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Corrupt Traffic Cops tried to fine me for going through a green light

Post by Feelgood »

I was driving on Norodom at 10.15am on Thursday heading north about 500 yards from the Independent Monument when a Traffic Cop stopped me. I took a quick glance at the lights, and it was still on green. Besides all the other traffic had not stopped.
They said that I had run a red light and I was furious and told them I was on green. But they just ignored me.
I took a photo of them, then offered $10 but they refused. So I presumed they were going to impound the bike and that way get more money.

I phoned an influential Khmer friend and gave the phone to a plain clothes, English speaking cop. As a consequence he said I could go but I must first delete the photos of the police. I handed him the phone and he deleted the photos but not before looking at all of my personal photos. He asked me some questions about them. My photos are all nice ones but they are PRIVATE !

I was pretty shook up and upset but vowed never to use Norodom again in the daytime because it is fast moving and dangerous. The cops know you cannot escape.
I had done nothing wrong therefore, I think that Traffic Police acted like CRIMINALS EXTORTING money from innocent people! They are CORRUPT THUGS !

I believe that Cambodia is going to have a horrendous high season this year and if they don't treat us better a lot more people won't come!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Corrupt Traffic Cops tried to fine me for going through a green light

Post by John Bingham »

I'm outraged by this, the place is going to hell in a handbasket.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Feelgood wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 pm I was driving on Norodom at 10.15am on Thursday heading north about 500 yards from the Independent Monument when a Traffic Cop stopped me. I took a quick glance at the lights, and it was still on green. Besides all the other traffic had not stopped.
They said that I had run a red light and I was furious and told them I was on green. But they just ignored me.
I took a photo of them, then offered $10 but they refused. So I presumed they were going to impound the bike and that way get more money.

I phoned an influential Khmer friend and gave the phone to a plain clothes, English speaking cop. As a consequence he said I could go but I must first delete the photos of the police. I handed him the phone and he deleted the photos but not before looking at all of my personal photos. He asked me some questions about them. My photos are all nice ones but they are PRIVATE !

I was pretty shook up and upset but vowed never to use Norodom again in the daytime because it is fast moving and dangerous. The cops know you cannot escape.
I had done nothing wrong therefore, I think that Traffic Police acted like CRIMINALS EXTORTING money from innocent people! They are CORRUPT THUGS !

I believe that Cambodia is going to have a horrendous high season this year and if they don't treat us better a lot more people won't come!
If that ever happened to me, I would walk everywhere. That would really upset them, not being able to extort money from me ever again.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

They looked at your photos!!
My god!! You should sue the entire police force for this outrage.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

“They are CORRUPT THUGS” says the guy who attempted to bribe the police, then when that failed, got an influential friend to lean on the police make the problem go away.
Fucking priceless.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hey, it's Cambodia the country u love to hate

where's all the defenders of this place like when i say bad shit ??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:11 am hey, it's Cambodia the country u love to hate

where's all the defenders of this place like when i say bad shit ??
In all the replies?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Oh the horror!
People of the world, spice up your life.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Can you post some of your photos please...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Shocked I tell you, shocked! From your location you could have just walked the guy to the ACU office 2 minutes away
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic