Yes, Foreigners Can Exchange a Homecountry Driving License for a Cambodian License

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Yes, Foreigners Can Exchange a Homecountry Driving License for a Cambodian License

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 28 September 2022, the Ministry of Public Works and Transport announced its answer to the most frequently asked question in July and August received on its hotline: 1275 which is “Can foreigners take their country's driver's license and exchange it for a Cambodian driver's license?” “What documents are needed?” and “How much does it cost?”

The Ministry’s answer was that Foreigners can exchange their country's driver's license for a Cambodian driver's license.
Required documents:
1) Original driver's license of the country of origin (translated into English or French, specifying the embassy or consulate of that nationality)
2) Passport and visa which have a validity of at least 15 days
3) Proof of current address (issued by Commune / Sangkat Chief)
4) Certificate of fitness (available at service locations)
5) Three 4x6cm photos with white background
Fees:
1) Type A 40,000 Riel
2) Type B 120,000 Riel
* Foreigners who a Cambodian driver's license which is expired and will be fined KHR500 / day.
::: Hotline Contact: 1275

For further information: https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/en/public-servi ... -s-license (In English)
Nowadays, you can apply for a driving test or an exchange of driving license through the Ministry of Public Works and Transport’s driving license issuance online system’s website: https://driverlicense.mpwt.gov.kh. or you can come to any of the MPWT’s service center, located at Aeon Mall Phnom Penh (Aeon1), Aeon Mall Sek Sok City (Aeon2), Provincial One Window Service Unit, Heavy Vehicle Training Center, Provincial Department of Public Works and Transport offices in Cambodia to apply for a driving test.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Yes, Foreigners Can Exchange a Homecountry Driving License for a Cambodian License

Post by Username Taken »

Well, the theory sounds good. But . . . <will be interesting to hear the reports by those who try>

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Yes, Foreigners Can Exchange a Homecountry Driving License for a Cambodian License

Post by atst »

Think he's referring to the 1 year license
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

This has been available for years. Why is this news?

Also, your valid home licence has to match the country of issue as your passport.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Do you hand over your home country licence in a swap?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

My home country drivers license had expired. I had legal and current one for Australia but no Australian passport so was unable to exchange mine
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:47 am Do you hand over your home country licence in a swap?
NO:
Any AESAN license is valid in Cambodia, but i have found its up to the cops an most dont know that :-)
showing my Thai license worked about 50% of the time

a type is i think for cars , at $30 /year an idp from home country is valid an cheaper!!!
for US , you can apply for it EVEN if ur already overseas and it will be mailed to you!!! $20/year
https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#overseas
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Announcement, or just a reiteration? A reminder that licences can be had. It sounds more like a reminder that the facility exists; that it benefits the driver with less hassle, it benefits the country with revenue made.

This bit was curious.
* Foreigners who a Cambodian driver's license which is expired and will be fined KHR500 / day.
My 1 year driving licence expired during COVID. I haven’t had a chance/need to renew it, yet, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

IDP
In the UK, the last time that I obtained one, the IDP could only be obtained in person at the Post office. Then, cheekily, only certain post offices participate, Even though the website shows there are many more, it’s usually out of date or pure fiction. Even the local main post office near to my folks did not provide IDP. That said, I don’t recall having an IDP with me the previous time that I renewed my Khmer licence.

It would be so much better if Cambodia expanded on their system of issuing driving licences based on foreign licences, but without the rigmarole. (Although, as Khmer processes go, it’s actually fairly straight forward.) Even if it were just lists of qualifying countries based on the quality and consistency of their licencing and driving, and issue a licence equal to the time remaining on a foreign national licence.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

The IDP is a translation of your home licence so it's either that or get a Cambodian licence, not much point showing them an IDP! Only people I know who have tried to use an IDP have been met with confusion and a fine.

You cannot get local car or bike insurance with an IDP, something that they are making mandatory at some point.

They do enforce the 500r fine.

Years ago you could pay a fixer for the 10 year whilst not moving from your beer.
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:55 am Announcement, or just a reiteration? A reminder that licences can be had. It sounds more like a reminder that the facility exists; that it benefits the driver with less hassle, it benefits the country with revenue made.

This bit was curious.
My 1 year driving licence expired during COVID. I haven’t had a chance/need to renew it, yet, so it will be interesting to see how that works.

IDP
In the UK, the last time that I obtained one, the IDP could only be obtained in person at the Post office. Then, cheekily, only certain post offices participate, Even though the website shows there are many more, it’s usually out of date or pure fiction. Even the local main post office near to my folks did not provide IDP. That said, I don’t recall having an IDP with me the previous time that I renewed my Khmer licence.

It would be so much better if Cambodia expanded on their system of issuing driving licences based on foreign licences, but without the rigmarole. (Although, as Khmer processes go, it’s actually fairly straight forward.) Even if it were just lists of qualifying countries based on the quality and consistency of their licencing and driving, and issue a licence equal to the time remaining on a foreign national licence.
That is truly fucked, so ur license expires and you reapply an than find that the 2,5, 8 months+ it expired, your charged 500 riel/day before they will issue you a renewal!!

i'll stick with my 5 year CA license ( up until 70 , renewal online) and my 5 year + 360 day Thai license :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic