3 western foreigners were arrested

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

3 western foreigners were arrested

Post by phuketrichard »

wow:
last night after police raided the ‘Pickled Parrot’ bar – a bar popular amongst Phnom Penh’s European, American and Australian expats – as part of the mass anti illegal gambling crackdown that started 7 days ago

sucks for them
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501157152/ ... crackdown/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 3 western foreigners were arrested

Post by cautious colin »

cautious colin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:34 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:44 am Authorities in 14 districts in Phnom Penh cracked down on 34 gambling dens and arrested 64 people
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Following the order of the authorities from the 17 September, 14 districts in Phnom Penh conducted a series of operations to crack down on gambling.
Colonel San Sok Seiha, spokesman for the Phnom Penh Municipal Police, told the news agency on the afternoon of September 18, 2022 that the operations of the 14 district authorities in Phnom Penh in accordance with the order of Mr. Khuong Sreng, Governor of Phnom Penh cracked down on 34 cases and arrested 64 people, including 29 women.

The same source confirmed that police will continue to investigate and crack down on all types of illegal gambling sites on a regular basis.
The 64 men and women arrested have been interrogated by the authorities, and the case was sent to the Phnom Penh Prosecutor's Office for further proceedings.
Less than 2 people per place. It’s almost if they were tipped off.

I wonder if they raided any of the poker rooms in Phnom Penh, or the ‘hotels’ that are only there for gambling. I doubt it
was wondering when that one would be hit
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

How dumb are they, they couldn't stop for a bit till the crackdown had passed.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's hilarious, I still saw one of those dangerous criminals walking around at Riverside two days ago and now he's presumably locked up. Just as well that the tattoo police didn't get to him first.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:59 am wow:
last night after police raided the ‘Pickled Parrot’ bar – a bar popular amongst Phnom Penh’s European, American and Australian expats – as part of the mass anti illegal gambling crackdown that started 7 days ago

sucks for them
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501157152/ ... crackdown/
That's a rather grubby looking shophouse and poker table - Pickled Parrot must have fallen on really hard times since Grum sold up shop
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

atst wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:16 pm How dumb are they, they couldn't stop for a bit till the crackdown had passed.
I guess there is no medicine available at the pharmacies they can take to cure an addiction to gambling.
Spoiler:
and stupidity
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Red Fox on 136 was also closed.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

that doesn't look like the Pickled Parrot that I remember.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 am that doesn't look like the Pickled Parrot that I remember.
You're probably thinking of the now defunct Pickle Parrot on 104. Since then another one popped up on 136 closer to the Norodom end. Dunno if same management.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 am
Brody wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 am that doesn't look like the Pickled Parrot that I remember.
You're probably thinking of the now defunct Pickle Parrot on 104. Since then another one popped up on 136 closer to the Norodom end. Dunno if same management.
The original relocated. I think Grum sold out a few years back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic