3 western foreigners were arrested

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 3 western foreigners were arrested

Post by Brody »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 am
Brody wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 am that doesn't look like the Pickled Parrot that I remember.
You're probably thinking of the now defunct Pickle Parrot on 104.
Do you know what took its place? It was a pretty large property.

It was my go-to, Saturday, hang-over cure, brunch spot for years. Good aircon, sports on the tele, and nice waitstaff.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Brody wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 am
Brody wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 am that doesn't look like the Pickled Parrot that I remember.

It was my go-to, Saturday, hang-over cure, brunch spot for years. Good aircon, sports on the tele, and nice waitstaff.
Spent loads of time in there 2008-2011, (lived on the top floor for a month in 2008)
good food and good people
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

No sorry, I've only been to 104 a few times since Mrs Clutch made a decent man out of me and didn't particularly notice what took it's place. :beer3:
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

It is/was currently a building site. They hadn't finished construction when I was on 104 in August.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

atst wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:16 pm How dumb are they, they couldn't stop for a bit till the crackdown had passed.
First off, they are doing underground gambling.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Those three that were arrested should be asking "how come there were only three of us at the table?"

I smells me a tip off. Mind you the tip-off was in the news a couple of weeks ago.

I don't even play and I knew the gambling was going on in room one. And I've been to the Parrot 3 times, and never this year. So not only is there a good chance the competent ones were privy, but when you have locals at your table, or on your staff (please, somebody say "my staff wouldn't be disloyal," so I can sell your name to the Sihanoukville scammers), consider the information passed on.

Note: this is not an intended dig at those caught, it's at the possible snitch (and if you don't pass on a tip off, you are the same as a snitch), and a lesson to learn.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:24 pm
atst wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:16 pm How dumb are they, they couldn't stop for a bit till the crackdown had passed.
First off, they are doing underground gambling.
Some would consider poker a sport, not a gambling game.... :popcorn:
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Could never understand people enjoying losing their money. Gambling sucks !
Be your own toy.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Texas Holdem is an art form, the odds involved are at the Class A mathematical level, and winners have an internal library that precedes their skills. Stopping playing is reserved for bad losers. All respect for the authorities to contain these activities in controlled areas. We all know what happens when the game takes up too many back rooms. It begins to eat itself and becomes a destabilizing societal factor.

:assasin:
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

The younger European guy is named Zoltan, he is management there along with his wife. He's English despite his name being Hungarian. A good man. The others I recognize from my month+ there last spring. That game had been busted before, about March as I recall. Some joker wore a hidden camera into the room. Local police used to play, and local police regularly play pool for money in the bar. I'm sure everyone will be fine. All these busts are all a result of the Covid slowdown.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic