No blank pages

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: No blank pages

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:59 pm
truffledog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:07 pm I got a new passport within 48h from the italian embassy in BKK. Paid 6400 Baht (double fee). Had to go to Thai immigration at Chaeng Wattana to transfer stamp/VOA. The embassy would write a letter in this regard to facilitate the process. Dress nicely if you have business with thai authorities, it makes a difference.
Actually if you have a VoA, visa exempt or tourist visa, you can just rock up at the airport with both passports and the letter when you want to leave Thailand. They'll do the transfer at outbound immigration, no need for an extra trip to Chaeng Watthana.
Confirmed, did it in 2018, but my embassy still tried to sell me a letter to cover my @ss at immigration. Didn't use the offer and Thai immigration manually transfered the entry to my new passport at Suvarnabhumi airport.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:35 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am What would be the situation if you 'hypothetically' lost your passport? Could you get a new/ temporary one issued while you wait for your replacement, and if so could you get a new visa put in the temporary passport?
In that case you cannot get a replacement or new Visa/EOS...you need to apply for an Exit Visa and then leave the country within 7 days, to apply for an Exit Visa with a replacement passport or ETD you require a Cambodian Police Report and a lost/stolen/damaged passport report from your Embassy or National Passport Department. ETD's (Emergency Travel Documents) are only valid for use to return to your home country, you cannot leave Cambodia on an ETD and then use it to return.
where will they place the exit visa? no blank pages

passport when i am down to 5 blank pages, seldom get 7 years out of one even before they stopped allowing US Passports extra pages<
I was referring to the requirement for leaving the country on a new passport or ETD in response to Random Dudes comment...read the full comment again!
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

Thanks for feedback and replies, much appreciated. I should have also mentioned that I have a British passport and I'm on currently on 1 year EB visa.

I've been scouring the interent and even considered my option of going to Thailand and applying there whilst on a visa free stay but from what Ive seen, you need to. Provide proof of Thai address, bank statement /utility etc.... So not really an option Anyways..

I'll make appointment with VFS and tak about my options. Hopefully, they will. Allow me to "overstay" and then do the visa when new passport arrives, but I believe its $10 per day, so 10 + weeks is going to be over $700.

Also I'm not sure if I would be able to extend 1 year for a brand new passport with a, by then expired Eb visa.

Theres also the backup option ( probably most realistic) of flying back to UK, pay for fast track and come. Back. Kh after two weeks and get 1 month again and then extend for 12. Flights are bloody expensive at the moment, $500 + one way.

Very expensive lesson learnt
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:35 am Which is cheaper? Fly back to the UK and wait for a new passport there, or suffer any financial penalty here?

Have you applied for a new passport? If so, and you have the tracking number for the application, have you discussed that with a visa agent, DOI, or the embassy. Have you made a fast track application?
When you called the UK embassy number and got no answer, did you go to the UK embassy website, and fill in their query form?

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

I haven't applied yet, as Im still deciding which is the best option is go UK or try do it here.

I emailed the embassy and was given this reply

"We are sorry that we are unable to answer enquiries sent to this mailbox relating to visas, passports, citizenship and acquiring or giving up British nationality, as these services are not provided by the British Embassy in Phnom Penh. Please see information below for where to enquire for help on these issues."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

MrBen87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:37 pm I'll make appointment with VFS and tak about my options. Hopefully, they will. Allow me to "overstay" and then do the visa when new passport arrives, but I believe its $10 per day, so 10 + weeks is going to be over $700.

Also I'm not sure if I would be able to extend 1 year for a brand new passport with a, by then expired Eb visa.

Theres also the backup option ( probably most realistic) of flying back to UK, pay for fast track and come. Back. Kh after two weeks and get 1 month again and then extend for 12. Flights are bloody expensive at the moment, $500 + one way.

Yes, it will be $10 per day in overstay fines, and be aware that if you are caught working, or arrested for any reason, without a valid Visa EOS then you will be detained, deported and blacklisted, so really not worth the risk!

Also, if your Visa EOS is expired more than 30 days by the time your new passport arrives, then you will not be able to apply for a new EB EOS, you will have to pay the overstay fines, purchase an Exit Visa and leave the country within 7 days, then return on a new E-type Visa.

The best, safest, and realistically, only option is to return to the UK, apply for a fast track passport, then return. (Unless there is a way to apply for a fast track passport from within Cambodia - something worth looking into)

Yes, an expensive lesson learnt, how did you not realise you didn't have any pages left!?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As it’s a weekend, you’ll not be talking to VFS anytime soon, I’d imagine.

I’d strongly advise going on to the .gov.uk website and review information there.

Your passport is UK passport office territory; even the embassy are something of an outsider on that.
The rules regarding Visa issue are Cambodia immigration. Only they can give an actual undertaking that may make allowances for this oversight. But time is of the essence. And if the application hasn’t been made for a fast track issue, there’s little evidence to demonstrate intent.

It would be nice to know if they (someone senior) have some latitude, but I feel that all things considered, there’s little chance in this case.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MrBen87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks for feedback and replies, much appreciated. I should have also mentioned that I have a British passport and I'm on currently on 1 year EB visa.

I've been scouring the interent and even considered my option of going to Thailand and applying there whilst on a visa free stay but from what Ive seen, you need to. Provide proof of Thai address, bank statement /utility etc.... So not really an option Anyways..

I'll make appointment with VFS and tak about my options. Hopefully, they will. Allow me to "overstay" and then do the visa when new passport arrives, but I believe its $10 per day, so 10 + weeks is going to be over $700.

WRONG: enter thailand on a visa exempt stamp valid for 30 days, ( changes to 45 on Oct 1st) ONLY need show vacc card at land borders or airport> none of the stuff u mentioned is asked for or required. ITS ONLY a small stamp, you have space for that?
can be extended once for 30 days for 1,900 baht>

FYI:
over stay in Thailand( 500 baht/day $13 apx) is capped out at 20,000 baht, ( apx $580) MAX be it 2 months or 2 years> ( although 2 years ur not allowed to travel back to Thailand for 2 years)

The best, safest, and realistically, only option is to return to the UK, apply for a fast track passport, then return. (Unless there is a way to apply for a fast track passport from within Cambodia - something worth looking into)
best/cheapest/easiest option
I'd go to Thailand overland via Battambang- Pailin- Pong Nam Ron- Chantaburi-Bangkok after Oct 1st
if it takes 7 weeks ( 49 days) ur good on 1 extension, even if they denied you the extension cause no room in Passport ur not looking at not much $$ for overstay and as soon a u get new passport apply for the 1 month extension or leave
fly back to Cambodia, get a new visa
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:55 am
MrBen87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks for feedback and replies, much appreciated. I should have also mentioned that I have a British passport and I'm on currently on 1 year EB visa.

WRONG: enter thailand on a visa exempt stamp valid for 30 days, ( changes to 45 on Oct 1st) ONLY need show vacc card at land borders or airport> none of the stuff u mentioned is asked for or required. ITS ONLY a small stamp, you have space for that?

sorry , proof of adress etc needed for applying for passport from VFS in Thailand
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:04 pm As it’s a loooooooong weekend, you’ll not be talking to VFS anytime soon, I’d imagine.
FTFY
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thanks for feedback and replies, much appreciated. I should have also mentioned that I have a British passport and I'm on currently on 1 year EB visa.

sorry , proof of adress etc needed for applying for passport from VFS in Thailand

When u stay in a hotel in Thailand, they file a TM 30 with immigration, which is required stating ur staying at their Hotel<
ask the hotel for a receipt, an thats your proof of address,,,

or are u saying u need provide a bank account to apply for a passport>>not mentioned here
https://www.keyvisathailand.com/easy-gu ... -thailand/

NOTE:::You will receive a telephone call or an e-mail from the VFS office when your passport has arrived you must go and collect the UK passport in person showing identification preferably your old UK passport. At present it is taking 3-4 weeks to arrive back in Thailand.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic